[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn...
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atomic_Ferret] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
Highest suicide rate in the USA belongs to the class of middle-aged white men.

We are the most despised class in America.
View Quote
Marginalized by popular opinion, constantly told and depicted as being something that we are not, pressured to support, taxed, financially crushed (divorce, job loss, business failure, lawsuits).

I had not heard this statistic before but it isn't surprising. Feels like we are carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders whist people hate us for doing so, occasionally kicking us in the nuts.

Everybody has their breaking point and different reactions to reaching said point.

Sad that it went down this way for him. I don't recall any personal interaction with him but it stings whenever we lose part of the dysfunctional not so little family that is Arfcom.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
There's the tacked thread, and tons of guys ready to spring into action at the hint of a member in trouble. I've inadvertently helped people out in their lives, and I fear that I won't be able to come through when people need me. I wish I had answers, but I don't. So far, saying hi to people in the hall every day and saying that if they ever need anything they should let me know apparently goes a long way. I'm told I've kept 2 people here just by making that a habit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Very sad indeed. In the years I've been here I've never met anyone that I would not invite into my home.

We've gotta find a way to help those in trouble
There's the tacked thread, and tons of guys ready to spring into action at the hint of a member in trouble. I've inadvertently helped people out in their lives, and I fear that I won't be able to come through when people need me. I wish I had answers, but I don't. So far, saying hi to people in the hall every day and saying that if they ever need anything they should let me know apparently goes a long way. I'm told I've kept 2 people here just by making that a habit.
I’ve experienced depression - hell, I live with it every day, but I’ve experienced points where I’d truly rather have been dead than alive. Thankfully, I was never suicidal to the point of wanting to act for the sole purpose of taking my own life, but I spent years hoping for an opportunity to take a stupid bit honorable risk and sacrifice myself.

The only person that can turn that around is the person experiencing it. A support system is absolutely necessary, so I in no way mean to belittle that, but outside help in and of itself will not solve the problem.

As Churchill put it, depression is an ever-present black dog that follows you through life. You have to learn to live with that dog, and become it’s master. You can’t just order it to leave you alone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Wow.  Can't believe that.  

Always remeber your pan of protection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5kQwFkws9E
View Quote
That's typical edcurtis for you! I will certainly miss the humor he brought to every game we played with him.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Drugmanrx:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvUZfhswOtc
View Quote
“Wait uhh is everyone dead?”

Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Drugmanrx:
I found out today that we lost a member @edcurtis last night. I pray that his family can find peace.

I came to know him through ar15.com and the discord server playing online PC games with him. I am glad that I got to know him as a friend and I am very, very sad to see him go.

@mdguy90
@JKate
@32dohc
@metalsaber
@orracle

If anyone is struggling with depression please reach out to someone before making a decision you can never take back.
View Quote
Suicide ??
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I really hate these threads...have seen too damn many of them.
Hopefully those he left behind can find some peace.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#17]
RIP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
I recall hearing sometime in the last couple years how suicide is way, way up among middle aged white men, which make up a big demographic here.
View Quote
Lost a friend this month to it.
RIP!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I will never ever be able to hear this and not think of Ed.

So some guy from the internet won't forget him. In a very weird way.

Dizaster - Love Me Long Time (Jin Diss) Extended
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, I remember that avatar. This is truly saddening.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Been two years, still miss ya bud
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Eternal rest grant him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Just thinking today how much I miss you man...
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I was local to him and met him once. No idea until I saw this thread.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top