BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:

Ever played in a band with a drummer inspired by John Bonham and Neil Pert, who had 11 toms in his 1978 Ludwig cedar shell drum kit - factory made with no bottom heads?  A drummer that had his own 24 channel board to mix the shock-mounted 57s in his kit?  And a bass player running 800 watts into 2X12 and 2X15 cabs to be heard over the drummer?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lympago:
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
I would do horrible, vile things for a MKIIC+.

No doubt.  If there's a "classic" Boogie that deserves legendary status,  that's the one!

Personally,  the ultimate dream rig I'd love to own,  but would never want to move, would
be a Mark IIC+ Coliseum series head, (That's the one with three pairs of power tubes,
four 6L6s and two EL-34s,  or six 6L6s, giving up to 180 watts)
with a pair of 4x12s
each loaded entirely with EVM-12Ls.   And better yet, put them all in hardwood cabinets,
I'd prefer curly maple.  This would not be a rig that went anywhere.  It would just be
used to kill small animals with sound.

CJ

This is always the part I don't understand about these over 100 watt tube amps, is that unless your using it for big shows where you can crank it up hard to heat the tubes up so the tone is fat and juicy, it's serious overkill.

Yeh you can use an attenuator to reduce the volume while heating the power tubes up, by your still running a huge rig sucking the power out of your wall socket and skyscrapering your power bill when you could have gotten a sweet 50 head and smoked up pretty much everywhere while getting more than enough volume for just about any normal show.
A real big show too will have a good PA anyways and you can mic it for even better stereo volume and sound.
Sorry, I don't want to stomp on people's amp dreams, but that's just my two cents on it.

Ever played in a band with a drummer inspired by John Bonham and Neil Pert, who had 11 toms in his 1978 Ludwig cedar shell drum kit - factory made with no bottom heads?  A drummer that had his own 24 channel board to mix the shock-mounted 57s in his kit?  And a bass player running 800 watts into 2X12 and 2X15 cabs to be heard over the drummer?

I would actually enjoy that so I could turn up loud enough to really get my power tubes to cooking and maybe run two amps too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

I would actually enjoy that so I could turn up loud enough to really get my power tubes to cooking and maybe run two amps too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lympago:
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
I would do horrible, vile things for a MKIIC+.

No doubt.  If there's a "classic" Boogie that deserves legendary status,  that's the one!

Personally,  the ultimate dream rig I'd love to own,  but would never want to move, would
be a Mark IIC+ Coliseum series head, (That's the one with three pairs of power tubes,
four 6L6s and two EL-34s,  or six 6L6s, giving up to 180 watts)
with a pair of 4x12s
each loaded entirely with EVM-12Ls.   And better yet, put them all in hardwood cabinets,
I'd prefer curly maple.  This would not be a rig that went anywhere.  It would just be
used to kill small animals with sound.

CJ

This is always the part I don't understand about these over 100 watt tube amps, is that unless your using it for big shows where you can crank it up hard to heat the tubes up so the tone is fat and juicy, it's serious overkill.

Yeh you can use an attenuator to reduce the volume while heating the power tubes up, by your still running a huge rig sucking the power out of your wall socket and skyscrapering your power bill when you could have gotten a sweet 50 head and smoked up pretty much everywhere while getting more than enough volume for just about any normal show.
A real big show too will have a good PA anyways and you can mic it for even better stereo volume and sound.
Sorry, I don't want to stomp on people's amp dreams, but that's just my two cents on it.

Takes a while to get used to playing with ear plugs in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Meanwhile I'm looking in to building a nice 1 watt tube amp for when I don't want to crank up the 100 watt combo lol.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
Meanwhile I'm looking in to building a nice 1 watt tube amp for when I don't want to crank up the 100 watt combo lol.
View Quote

1 watt at full blast will be 25% as loud as the 100 watt at full blast.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

That's a pretty nice reduction in sound while also being an impressive amount volume for such a small amp.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#6]
My Mk IV is my dream amp. Gets every tone I could want.  That said, I want one of the new JP2Cs now; basically an updated IIc+ (with midi!)
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Blues Jr, Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Dean Markley twin 12 I think.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#8]
You're right, but it's like cars.  A high performance car is FUN even if you're not driving along
at 150 MPH.   There's nothing wrong with having a Ferrari in the garage for fun weekends
and a Prius for the working week.

I'd want that rig because to me it represents practically the ultimate in big amps.  It'd
be so loud it'd tear holes in your head,  but what the hell.  Once in a while...

CJ
View Quote

.Not going to be that loud.  All other things being equal, it takes 10X the power to deliver twice the perceived volume of sound.  I have seen a 9 volt battery powered amp built into an empty cigarette pack drive a 4X12 cabinet loud enough to play a gig in a small room, and your dream rig would only be noticeably louder than a 100 watt head.

There was a reason the touring bands had a wall of amps behind, back in the day ....
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I've heard fabulous tones coming form a Hughes and Kettner half stack, Marshalls, Dean markleys.

Most fun I've had is with one of these:

with a Peavey Rockmaster or TubeFEX in front of it, and a Peavey MS412 cabinet downstream.   Yes, it's solid state, but the clean channel is better than a Roland Jazz Chorus, and with the pre-amps running right into the power amps, I got great sounds, and it never let me down.  All of the rig was sourced used except the cabinet.  Dirt cheap. Plus the chorus feature is fun!  Still have it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]

.Not going to be that loud.  All other things being equal, it takes 10X the power to deliver twice the perceived volume of sound.  I have seen a 9 volt battery powered amp built into an empty cigarette pack drive a 4X12 cabinet loud enough to play a gig in a small room, and your dream rig would only be noticeably louder than a 100 watt head.

There was a reason the touring bands had a wall of amps behind, back in the day ....
View All Quotes
You're right, but it's like cars.  A high performance car is FUN even if you're not driving along
at 150 MPH.   There's nothing wrong with having a Ferrari in the garage for fun weekends

I'd want that rig because to me it represents practically the ultimate in big amps.  It'd
be so loud it'd tear holes in your head,  but what the hell.  Once in a while...

CJ

Good point, Smokey Amps is the company that makes those little amps that'll fit in a cigarette pack. But I doubt you'll get a response out of CMJ, he got the ban hammer awhile back.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Good point, Smokey Amps is the company that makes those little amps that'll fit in a cigarette pack. But I doubt you'll get a response out of CMJ, he got the ban hammer awhile back.
View All Quotes

CJ

Dang - everybody getting banned.  Probably be me one day.  Sure miss CJ and Keith_J ....  
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Dang - everybody getting banned.  Probably be me one day.  Sure miss CJ and Keith_J ....  
View All Quotes

CJ

What, did KeithJ quit posting again? Come to think of it, I haven't seen him do so in awhile.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite amp setup so far is my new Orange Rockerverb 100 MKIII.  Fantastic clean sound and the gain channel is unreal!!!  My son has a Mesa Dual Rec. Roadster in his room and it wounds fantastic also.  Love them both!

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#14]
All the ones I've played through and really fallen in love with belonged to friends.

Mesa Mark IV Head thru a Recto 4x12

Rivera 2x12 Knucklehead

Bogner Ecstasy 101B thru my Recto 4x12. This thing was absolutely insane. I had trouble with my stage rig one night and my buddy let me borrow his Bogner. He said "I've got it set up for you". I kept having to turn it down.
It was absolutely crushing and had a whole lot more to spare. Best I've ever heard just plugging straight into an amp.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a Badcat 1x12 Cub III 30 R about a year ago and love it. It’s a great amp for blues/classic rock and country.

I’ve been really wanting a Friedman BE-100 head to scratch my classic Marshall itch. Eventually I’ll pick one up but damn they are expensive!
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I already have both of them:

Marshall VBA400 w/4x12" cabinet
Sunn Coliseum 300 w/2x15" cabinet
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By georgestrings:

The problem with attentuators is that they're said to be rough on transformers - IMO, a better solution is pulling a pair of power tubes to knock it back to 50/60 watts...

- georgestrings
View Quote
You can do that, but you are still running through transformers sized for all the tubes.  The results aren't a 50/60 watt version of the original amp.  You will have a much tighter and stiffer amp than when running all the tubes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
You would think, but you end up having to wear ear plugs to play and at practice. Takes some getting used to.

I was rhythm guitar, and I can assure you an 80 watt combo amp wasn't enough - I ended up with a 2X65 watt Fender M80 Stereo Chorus into a Peavey 4X12.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#19]
my dream rig is my Trace Elliot V-6. 300 watts of KT-88 goodness into an Ampeg PR410-HLF
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:10:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cajun78] [#20]
Attachment Attached File

Missing is my 83 Marshall 2205 getting some old pots replaced.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ductapeman:
www.torresengineering.com
View Quote
Man...I remember seeing his ads and tips back in the early 90's in guitar magazines.
I sure hope he got an education or some people that do know stuff.

Everything he ever said or wrote in articles back then were not just bad, but plain wrong and devoid of facts.
Most of which damaged your instruments.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Always wanted the GK lunchbox

Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
They made a bass version that sounded way bigger than it deserved to. I sated that thirst when I stumbled upon a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0. It is way bigger than the GK, but still small and light. I couldn't believe how big it sounded, and bought it on the spot. I use it for about everything. I gave away a GK400, and a GK800. I still have the big Ampeg and Trace Elliot, but they only get used in practice rooms.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Emery Micro baby.  1w/2w amp. This little thing sounds glorious running through a 2x10, closed back cab.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blue_Monkey] [#25]
Since I've only been playing for just over a year, I only have two Roland amps: Blues Cube Hot and a Micro Cube GX. I would love a sweet Mesa Boogie!

ETA: I forgot my two mini amps I use when I travel:  Blackstar Fly and Marshall MS-2
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#27]
I’ve had a lot of different amps over the years.

Marshall Mosfet stack that was ok for what I was doing at 16. A bunch of crappy transistor amps that all seemed to fry. One day I walked in a local music store and there was a used JCM800 vertical input head there and they sold it to me for $250. I bought a 1960 4x12 slant cabinet for it a couple weeks later. It was awesome. I bought a Hot Rod deVille, a Dual Rec, a first generation 5150 and cabinet, a 2x12 Line6, an AC30, Marshall Class 5, a 50w Plexi clone, DSL40, Tweed Blues Jr, a Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express a couple other combos over the years.

Of them all the JCM 800 was my favorite. I wish I had never sold it. The 5:25 Boogie is my least liked amp.  In fact I’m trying to sell it. Not a fan of Boogies at all in any fashion. They seem stale and require too much tinkering to get a sound I like.

I’m looking for a Fender Deluxe reissue right now. The new Marshall 20w version of the JCM800 looks interesting too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Vintage Fender Tube amps

On the dream list: 1959/60 Bassman
Blackface Deluxe Reverb (preferably Pre-CBS)

Always wanted a Mesa Trem-O-Verb too
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ductapeman:
I was blessed with the ability to make a living playing for 25 years, until my back got too bad to move my gear–– Best guitar amp I ever heard (to my admittedly biased ear) was a 1960 cream-Tolex Fender Bandmaster, with a pair of old-school Jensen 12" speakers. Highs on fire, lows of liquid ice–– clean as a razor until you leaned on it, then it would sound like every Ritchie Blackmore album you ever heard. I own it now. The joke is, I was always a bassist–– for bass I use Gallien-Krueger amps, JBL speakers (the old K145's later the E145–– hard to argue with 22 pounds of Alnico 6) and Fender basses, of which I have an assortment. I can cause earthquakes with this setup.

There's a company called www.torresengineering.com that does a nice job of altering an old Bassman head into a good, ballsy guitar amp–– to my ear they sound better than a lot of gear out there that costs six times as much. Just sayin'. They also make kits to do your own work–– and they're great people.
View Quote
looks like Torres isn't really in business atm (no kits available and he says semi-retired due to illness)
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm a bass player, and as such, an SWR guy.

I still use my Electric Blue Head that I purchased new in 1991. Super clean but warm and easy to dial but only 150 watts. It's been parked above many slave power amps and cabinets. Mackie, Crown, Ampeg, SWR.

Now it sits on a QSC amp and a SWR 410T for most gigs. If I'm outside I'll toss an Ampeg 1510HE under the 410 or run a line into the board. Something nice though about having a rig taller than I am but I hate lugging it all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Another vote for a Mark IIC+.  I'm looking into making new preamp PC boards so I can convert a Mark III to a full IIC+ spec.

There might be a market for repro RP11 and RP12 preamp boards.

I use a Fractal Axe-FX II which is a great piece of gear.  I bought it hoping that it'd be more or less my last amp, and use it to closely replicate the sounds of a lot of amps I'd love to own but just have neither the money nor the space for.

Wrong.   I've bought more amps SINCE I got it than I had before!   The thing is a gateway drug!

I have a triple recto solo head now.  And a Rocket 44.  And a Studio .22 that I've since resold.  Nice amp but not quite my sound....

And, I got a 1979 silverface Fender Pro Reverb in astoundingly clean condition.  A real closet classic.   It had never been recapped but badly needed it.

So, that got done, along with ONE mod, to add reverb to the normal channel.   Which frankly was a really great choice.

Maybe not everybody realizes it, but in those classic Fenders, the normal channel is voiced differently from the vibrato channel, aside from the lack of reverb and tremolo.    The normal channel has a warmer bass response which makes it the go-to channel when I plug in my Strat.   I usually play humbuckers but for the Strat, the added warmth of the normal channel, now with reverb, really adds body to the strat's tone.

I'm seriously debating buying a Marshall JCM800 2203 model which is in utterly perfect shape, with matching 1960 cabinet.  Both pieces have lived in road cases since the day they were first bought and they've never been gigged.   Condition is "as it left the factory" and nothing short of that.

I've never had a Marshall.  That may be the one to change that.  But it's kinda pricey.

Of course I'd love a real Plexi,  a 1967 "black flag" version in all original condition.  But the price....
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greco] [#32]
Mostly play my vintage Vibro lux for general stage jobs. When playing with my  metal bands I play a Mesa Triple Rec, Marshall 100 watt super lead, or Marshall 50 watters- 1974 and 1978 build years.  All through Marshall 1960 cabs Also have a Mesa F50 I need to sell to a member.

For bass I have 2 Gallien , Kruger heads through an Ampeg cab.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I have many answers, depending on what I'm doing.

Recording? I love a good, high end combo like a Matchless or VOX AC-30. Just can't beat those.

Live? Modeler all the way - walked away from amps 10 years ago and still think they're pretty much outmoded for FOH sound.

Practice or gigging? Low-watt head + cabinet with a good pre-amp in front of it. Run a 1w Bugera with some mods, and put a GT-6 through the loop.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#34]
JVM410HJS
JVM410H
DSL40CR
DSL1HR (on the way)
Twin Reverb 65 Reissue
Deluxe Reverb 65 Reissue
H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40

Have toyed with the idea of getting a Messa Dual Rectifier.  Don't do high gain aggressive metal so it might not be a good fit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I've heard fabulous tones coming form a Hughes and Kettner half stack, Marshalls, Dean markleys.

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--5iihS9lE--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1459008143/dctasb7fn6kyelfoa7gd.jpg

with a Peavey Rockmaster or TubeFEX in front of it, and a Peavey MS412 cabinet downstream.   Yes, it's solid state, but the clean channel is better than a Roland Jazz Chorus, and with the pre-amps running right into the power amps, I got great sounds, and it never let me down.  All of the rig was sourced used except the cabinet.  Dirt cheap. Plus the chorus feature is fun!  Still have it.
View Quote
OMG, I still have a Fender M80 combo that I forgot about.  It's not the chorus version.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:45:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#36]
Originally Posted By StewartTR:
JVM410HJS
JVM410H
DSL40CR
DSL1HR (on the way)
Twin Reverb 65 Reissue
Deluxe Reverb 65 Reissue
H&K Grandmeister Deluxe 40

Have toyed with the idea of getting a Messa Dual Rectifier.  Don't do high gain aggressive metal so it might not be a good fit.
View Quote
You can do more than just modern metal with a Recto. Throw some EL34s in it, don't scoop the mids, and don't get too happy with the treble and presence and you'll be fine. Also, using the tube rectifiers, and the spongy setting helps too. And actually as the amp, as it is, is kinda lousy for metal. Rectos need a good OD in front of them to get that "metal" sound. Otherwise, they're a fairly loose sounding amp. Also, make sure you get a Reborn/Multi-Watt. Much better and more versatile amp than it's predecessors.

A good demo showing a Rectifier's other side.
Can Mesa Dual Rectifier sound like a Plexi?

But, all of that said, you'd probably be alot happier with a Mesa Triple Crown.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Light portable 30 to 60 watt all tube with one 12 inch speaker. My back has told me this and I never made enough money to have roadies..
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#38]
OMG, I still have a Fender M80 combo that I forgot about.  It's not the chorus version.
View All Quotes

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/s--5iihS9lE--/a_exif,c_limit,f_auto,fl_progressive,h_620,q_75,w_620/v1459008143/dctasb7fn6kyelfoa7gd.jpg

I started with that.  I gave it to my sister.  Great clean, kind of a one dimensional distortion, good reverb.

The weakness on ALL the M80s was the input jack, which was a complicated plastic box with six connectors that are soldered to the circuit board.  Has a chrome ring inside the outer end, but if you step on your cable, the outer plastic cracks, the chrome ring falls out, and your plug on the cable never makes good connection again.

In theory you need a flat-plate solder gun to get the old one off, but I have done it by working slowly with a regular gun and prying each pair of connects up a little at a time until it comes off.  Replacements were available last time I checked - about $20.

Takes some time to disconnect the circuit board and get it out, but overall nto a hard repair, just takes some time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 8:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fixin2] [#39]

Mojo JTM45 Clone that I built with a post phase inverter master volume installed in the back panel. Head cabinet is a Sour Mash with British Racing Green Tolex, Speaker cabinet is a Marshall 2x12 with Celestian G12 H30s. Speaker cab was a Craigslist find for $150.00. Has a killer tone and will get gritty at very low levels since I installed the PPIMV.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Anywhere between an 800w to 1200w power amp head, driving good cabs, is what I used to use.

The 1200w power amp head driving a 4x12 was fun.  That and the 800w PA amp driving another 4x12 lifted the picture frames off my wall at my home at the time, so the pictures would literally hover with the metal cables being the only things keeping them from flying off.

My dream amps and cabs consist of custom curved cabinets to form the legs of a giant anthropomorphic, modular robot system that you can walk in.  Cabs will be covered in fabric to simulate the creatures.

Amps will be insane power, Digital Signal Processed with adaptive resonant harmonic testing/feedback for troubleshooting a venue's acoustics, including empty and audience-full.

The brain will adjust the resonance to get full projection for the room/venue sound.

Basically you would be walking on 2 articulating PA stacks with subs in the giant feet.

Vocals goes through another speaker routed through a dryer vent hose trachea to the large head that is mechanically connected to your own head with 3-4 degrees of freedom.

Chem light juice runs through the veins over colored elastomer balloon muscles, with the juice pumped through a central circulating system.

It must be loud, very loud, and full-sounding.

That's my dream....
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Anywhere between an 800w to 1200w power amp head, driving good cabs, is what I used to use.

The 1200w power amp head driving a 4x12 was fun.  That and the 800w PA amp driving another 4x12 lifted the picture frames off my wall at my home at the time, so the pictures would literally hover with the metal cables being the only things keeping them from flying off.

My dream amps and cabs consist of custom curved cabinets to form the legs of a giant anthropomorphic, modular robot system that you can walk in.  Cabs will be covered in fabric to simulate the creatures.

Amps will be insane power, Digital Signal Processed with adaptive resonant harmonic testing/feedback for troubleshooting a venue's acoustics, including empty and audience-full.

The brain will adjust the resonance to get full projection for the room/venue sound.

Basically you would be walking on 2 articulating PA stacks with subs in the giant feet.

Vocals goes through another speaker routed through a dryer vent hose trachea to the large head that is mechanically connected to your own head with 3-4 degrees of freedom.

Chem light juice runs through the veins over colored elastomer balloon muscles, with the juice pumped through a central circulating system.

It must be loud, very loud, and full-sounding.

That's my dream....
View Quote
Ha, just saw this. That was good :)
Link Posted: 8/31/2019 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Been playing the new Fender Bass Breaker 30R, man am i getting good tones out of it. Great amp and value for the money. Been itching to try a Milkman Creamer though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 9:22:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Regency] [#43]
I just bought one of the Fender 64 Deluxe Reverbs (handwired) used in mint condition off reverb.

Cant wait to try it. No, I didn't pay the $2,500 price tag
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
1 watt will also have damn near zero head room.  I have a DSL1HR it does not do cleans well.  LOL  It is surprising how loud 1 watt actually is though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Amps that can be bought new:

Ampeg SVT
Mesa WD-800
Aguilar Tonehammer TH500
GK 700RB-II
Genzler 800

and a whole bunch of amps no longer produced.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:38:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#46]
I don’t play out, so the amp I play the most is a little Yamaha THR10X.

That said, I have one or two tube amps in the basement. The two Diamond 4x12 cabs have sequential serial numbers.

Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
Orange.
View Quote
Rockerverb mkiii 50 watt - yes please
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Bass player.

SWR Electric Blue on top (new in 1992)

QSC for power (been through Mackie and Crown already)

SWR and Ampeg cabs
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 10:43:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Ever since I got two vintage Marshalls,  my concept of the tone I want has been completely recalibrated.

I thought more gain was the answer.

Then I cranked up my new to me 1977 JMP 2203 100 watt master volume Marshall with 4x12 loaded with well broken in Greenback reissues.

I found that I could turn the drive DOWN because the sound coming out of it with the master volume up around six was simply gorgeous.  Lively, dynamic, and responsive in spades.  Clean to mean with just a change in pick pressure.  Heavenly.   I've never had anything else that did that.

I've been a tone seeker for 35 years.  Turns out I should have just gotten a Marshall right from the very start and then I'd have been DONE.

I've already sold off my Triple Rectifier.  Nice amp, for sure, but it was never really for me.  I tried it, I liked it, I never really loved it.  I found that the green (Clean) channel, when pushed, with the drive cranked, was the best tone it could offer me, according to my specific tastes.   That is fairly vintage-Marshally.   The orange and red channels, while more than adequately sustainy  and crunchy,  were more of a gimmick to me than a musical sound.

Oh, the other Marshall I bought is a 1973 Superlead, model 1959.  (Also 100 watts.)

Both are getting recapped in a few days.  Both have the ORIGINAL capacitors and they've clearly gone as far as they can.

I look forward to hearing these amps when they're refreshed with new caps and glass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2019 2:32:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hamb0ne] [#50]
Bassist here.  I run my Fender American Standard Precision through an SVT-7Pro and the SVT-410HLF cab.  It makes the asses shake.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top