Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2017 3:31:02 AM EDT
Buckle rash has always been an issue on my buddies guitars. I respect my guitars a bit more and always make sure buckles are covered by my shirt. However, my mom's 1973 Epiphone acoustic has some buckle rash. Curious what you guys do to prevent and repair buckle rash.

On my daily player acoustic I put a paint sample sticker the size of a sheet of paper on the back to protect it. They are free in the paint section at my walmart.

I was thinking maybe NuFinish or something for automotive paint scratches.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't bother repairing buckle rash. It's there, it's part of that instrument's history and character.

As far as preventing it? I don't tuck my shirts in and don't wear huge belt buckles, so it isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:15:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had an issue with buckle rash. I do know the old Gibsons had enough finish on them to polish out some deep scratches.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s a tool.  Scars add character.  I wouldn’t mess around with a refinish.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't bother repairing buckle rash. It's there, it's part of that instrument's history and character.

As far as preventing it? I don't tuck my shirts in and don't wear huge belt buckles, so it isn't an issue.
View Quote
That.

My oldest bass doesn't have major buckle rash after a few decades of use, the nitro finish on the front is worn to the wood in a few spots (forearm, thumb resting on bridge pickup)
The back looks better than the front.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep my belt buckle one loop counter-clock-wise.
I'm right handed, so one loop to the left.
Been doing that for 40 some years, so I'm used to it.
I have some nice old Martin and Gibson guitars and respect them.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Loop a small hand towel folded over your belt buckle.  Good for drying hands, mopping up spilled beer,  quick wipe down of instrument, etc.

Bonus points if you get mistook for a Mason....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top