Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2017 2:33:26 PM EDT
Well...ive toyed with guitars for a bit..
Messed with dulcimer.
Wife plays violin.
So 2 years back I started building cigar box diddley bow and chiggers.
I have a fender acoustic. Already.
But got me when..my wife's mom handed down her grandfather's guitar.
It's a post war arch top marvel, and his capo.
It's k8nda rough. But I restrung it..oiled it..
And it sounds awesome.
Hence my bug.
I play or try to when I got time..or drunk.
Anyway.
Daughter wanted a electric as dud I.
My one strings I make are...so it's the next step....
Sore fingers here I come.
Anyway.
I got us a epiphone les Paul ..sl . Color is a compromise between me and kid..we wanted surf green..i wanted the Vintage worn style..
I got the guitar,pedal .cords..case ,strings(all my stuff is acoustic)
..190$ otd. 
So it's flat black with white guard .
Kidd friend was over..and mastered nothing else matters intro in 30 minutes..her mom's got 4 phone calls a out lessons and gear already lol.

Ohh..kids 11..im 40+++
Damn my wrist and figures hurt

Pic of the stuff..
At a buddy's who plays...to break it's cherry

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to the machine....hide all your credit cards and never fall for the 36 month no interest financing offers from all the music stores...
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the machine....hide all your credit cards and never fall for the 36 month no interest financing offers from all the music stores...
View Quote
Well..my daughter was up at 6am trying to play sunshine of my love by cream...

But she's using the effects pedal to much...
It's like cream meets slayer...at times...
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Play constantly. That's how you get good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Play constantly. That's how you get good.
View Quote
I've been doing about 20 minutes each n igjt trying to learn cords on my acoustic. 
Then another 20ish just doing parts of songs I know via tabs.
Aka intro to metallica's one and nothing else matters along with how the gods kill by danzig.
Gives me something I can do on both the acoustic and the electric. And let's me feel like I'm playing vs dislocating fingers to hit chords lol.

I've gotta set up the guitar some more.
Got some fret buzz on my E and A strings.
Could be me picking heavy.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats, and play the shit out of it.

But don't ask me for advice on what to buy, unless you want to blow a bunch of money and wind up with your very own wall of doom.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But don't ask me for advice on what to buy, unless you want to blow a bunch of money and wind up with your very own wall of doom.
https://i.imgur.com/frKtdzM.jpg
View Quote
I think that you need more

Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol.

Yeah I'm not that bad.. but I do see myself in the future up grading or modding this one.
I already build electric diddley bow and cigar box guitars as a hobby/gift deal for friends.

Started purposely try to switch between cords last night.
Practiced. 
A,D,G and tried others e,em,f etc.

Sore fingers for sure.

But it's working. Noticed speed and not having to look at what strings I pick on the songs I've been working on.

Shoulda started 10 years ago..before getting as old and broken lol 
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I do, they're upstairs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I do, they're upstairs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do, they're upstairs.
Good Lord, man.  Do you even get to use those to their full potential?  That's a lot of volume sitting there...how far away is the nearest house?
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good Lord, man.  Do you even get to use those to their full potential?  That's a lot of volume sitting there...how far away is the nearest house?
View Quote
Lol, I don't play through them all at once. And yes, I turn them up, but not all the way. The sweet spot on the master is around noon on all of them anyway. And I live out in the boonies.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lol, I don't play through them all at once. And yes, I turn them up, but not all the way. The sweet spot on the master is around noon on all of them anyway. And I live out in the boonies.
View Quote
The sweet spot on any of those will make you a candidate for hearing aids. I had a 30 watt EL84 two twelve combo that I couldn't play in the sweet spot because everyone was telling me to turn it down.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The sweet spot on any of those will make you a candidate for hearing aids. I had a 30 watt EL84 two twelve combo that I couldn't play in the sweet spot because everyone was telling me to turn it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think my Lil 15w peavy in the above pictures is to loud

I'm hitting the l9cal shop this weekend..hopefully more shit doesn't follow me home.
Lol 
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#13]
A 100 watt amp isn't much louder than a 50 or even 30. I'd have to have quite a few more watts to even double the loudness.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice wall of doom dude.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A 100 watt amp isn't much louder than a 50 or even 30. I'd have to have quite a few more watts to even double the loudness.
View Quote
If I remember right, you double the power for each db. Could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#16]
3 db is double the level.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
What!?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
3 db is double the level.
View Quote
I can't remember shit anymore :)
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:58:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What!?
View Quote
If you need to double the power for each db gain then a 100 watt amp should be significantly  louder than a 30 watt amp. 240 watts would put you at a 3 db gain if you use this formula. This would be perceived as being twice as loud as a 30 watt amp...then again I have never had a 30 watt tube amp that couldn't blow a 30 watt solid state into the weeds. 

I think the formula is more like 10 db for a 2X loudness perception.  3db is a doubling of the power input. Any way a 100 watt tube amp in my experience is into ear bleed levels before my 30 watt tube amp even gets past the chime and clean.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
God lord man !

You need to call .....

1- 800 - AMPAHOLIC

Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

God lord man !

You need to call .....

1- 800 - AMPAHOLIC

View Quote
That's nothin' you should see some of the collections I've seen over on the Seymour Duncan forum.

But my Helix has killed my amp gas. I haven't jonesed for an amp since. I highly recommend them. So, OP, if you keep at it seriously, get one of these. It'll do everything you'll even need, and then some.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Well 2  week up date.

So far I've learned most of the major cords.. A,D,E,EM,G . Added C and been trying F since yesterday. Along with other minors to the above. But the first five I've got down good.
Been trying to go from chord to chord by strumming 4 times ,then switching.
Yesterday I used a metronome on an app to keep timing down etc.

Have one scale down so far (E or F ..I'm still waking up lol )but can do it front and back.

Done most of my practicing on the 3/4 acoustic we have and my fender .
The post war acoustic I have has a bad low E Buzz. But it's prolly got a warped neck..body. but sound good besides that.

Took 2 days off,I do about 20 minutes or so or until my fingers/wrist get sore.

Dont think ill ever be a dimebag Darrel or such..but it's been fun.
I'm wife and kid free this weekend so maybe ill busy out the Amp and turn it up past 1 lol.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Crank it up!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
So... Marshall Major?  Can the Helix do that well?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:09:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well 2  week up date.

So far I've learned most of the major cords.. A,D,E,EM,G . Added C and been trying F since yesterday. Along with other minors to the above. But the first five I've got down good.
Been trying to go from chord to chord by strumming 4 times ,then switching.
Yesterday I used a metronome on an app to keep timing down etc.

Have one scale down so far (E or F ..I'm still waking up lol )but can do it front and back.

Done most of my practicing on the 3/4 acoustic we have and my fender .
The post war acoustic I have has a bad low E Buzz. But it's prolly got a warped neck..body. but sound good besides that.

Took 2 days off,I do about 20 minutes or so or until my fingers/wrist get sore.

Dont think ill ever be a dimebag Darrel or such..but it's been fun.
I'm wife and kid free this weekend so maybe ill busy out the Amp and turn it up past 1 lol.
View Quote
Work in a C, and an a minor, and you will have a much bigger pallet.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Work in a C, and an a minor, and you will have a much bigger pallet.
View Quote
Trying lol.
My hands are beat up and I got short fingers lol .
My range of motion limits me..but it's getting better.
Lot of the cords where you use your index finger more or less like a capo are impossible for me right now.

Also strum.patterns is a weak point to. But I tell myself it's only been 2 weeks..chill. 
I learn,drive harder when playing (trying )with my buddy.....it's usually a try this,, can you do this..look we just played a song. Kinda events..

Eventually ill either pony up for some books on chord charts/strumming. As I hate not having hard copies in front of me.
But YouTube has helped at times with those " ohhhbbb.....that's how you do that.."  moments. Lol.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lot of the cords where you use your index finger more or less like a capo are impossible for me right now.
View Quote
You mean barre chords? I hate Barre chords. Fuck Barre chords.

And for free lessons, look up Justinguitar on YouTube. He also has a website, IIRC.

Also, www.all-guitar-chords.com is great for looking up just about any chords, scale, mode, blah blah blah, you could ever want.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
With a big enough poweramp, yeah. A Major is just a Plexi with KT-88s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top