Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 1:39:45 PM EDT
Hurricane Harvey flooded out my house and with that my Peavey Supreme 160 half stack.

I was thinking about a line 6 or something I can get a lot of sounds out of, but I have been out of tune with the music world for so long I don't know what is good anymore.

I used to play a lot of punk and some metal but find myself trying to play some bluesy/folk/old country stuff last couple years.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is still a nice system, but it's only 40 Watts.  Around $400 used these days.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Line6 has come a long way.  They're certainly worth checking out.

Head to you local shop, plug in, jam out and see what works for you.  Monday mornings are usually pretty quiet and is a good time if you don't want to deal with the riff raff.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hurricane Harvey flooded out my house and with that my Peavey Supreme 160 half stack.

I was thinking about a line 6 or something I can get a lot of sounds out of, but I have been out of tune with the music world for so long I don't know what is good anymore.

I used to play a lot of punk and some metal but find myself trying to play some bluesy/folk/old country stuff last couple years.
View Quote

Shit, that's crappy.  Even the head (presumably on top of the 412) was drowned, eh?  Probably about the only way one could kill one of those Peaveys...  I like the Supreme, though - it's a great amp.  

If you don't mind the lack of effects and such, and want to stick with Peavey maybe, try out a ValveKing head.  They sound excellent for what they are, quiet or monstrously loud.  The clean-channel breakup when you crank the thing is pretty fantastic, IMO.  

The Vypyr has some shockingly good stuff in it, too, but I'm always loathe to recommend modelers that aren't Kempers or AxeFX... both of which are pretty amazing.  I've just never been impressed with the rest of them.  Your mileage may vary, of course.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is still a nice system, but it's only 40 Watts.  Around $400 used these days.
View Quote
40 watts is a fuck-ton of power for home use.  I have an 18W VHT (Standard 18) and a 15W Ibanez (TSA15H) in my basement, both can make things uncomfortable with nearly any of my cabs...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

40 watts is a fuck-ton of power for home use.  I have an 18W VHT (Standard 18) and a 15W Ibanez (TSA15H) in my basement, both can make things uncomfortable with nearly any of my cabs...
View Quote
Agreed!  I sold all my amps and run a Palmer Eins (1 watt tube) through a 1x12" cabinet.  I can go from clean to mean with the volume knob and if I ever played out I could just play into a mic or a PA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Dry out your cabinet - I bought a Celestian restock speaker from Sweetwater for 29.95.  80 watts.  You can probably get back in business cab-wise for $120 and turning some screws.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Heck, you may be able to dry out both the head & cab and still use them. A friend of mine has a little Peavey solid state combo that was literally bobbing around in the water of a flooded basement. Dried it out and the damn thing still works. Stock speaker and all.

If that isn't an option, OP, what kind of budget are you talking here? That will influence what I recommend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately the amp and cabinet are gone.

I am looking to keep it under $750, and I don't need to be able to blast the doors of the house anymore, just bend them a bit!
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, it'll be over your budget a little bit. But if you're the adventurous type, I wholeheartedly recommend looking for a used Line 6 Helix LT and a pair of cheap powered PA/FRFR speakers. The LT has the exact same processors and modeling as the Rack and Floor versions, but doesn't have the extra ins & outs that the Floor and Rack have. I've havd a Helix Rack for over a year and still love it. It has quite a few amps, gobs of effects, both of which are added to here and there by Line 6 (the next update is supposed to have 7 of each), and it accepts 3rd party impulse responses. It's good enough that I've given up on my amp building aspirations, and am seriously considering selling my tube amps. Modeling is the way of the future. Quite a few bands have already ditched their tube amps. Bands like Metallica, Black Stone Cherry, Garbage, and quite a few others. And if you want a new one, Zzounds.com and AmericanMusical.com both offer no interest payments (they accept lousy credit), or if you have good credit, Sweetwater does the same but spreads out the payments more. 

Also, it does more than just guitar. Bass, vocals, keys, whatever, it'll do it. It's insanely flexible.

But if you want something more traditional, the modeling amps mentioned above are pretty decent. But if you want tubes and are just going to play at home, you can find used Blackstar HT5 heads for around $250. Combos aren't much more. For a cab, I'd go with a used Mesa Rectifier 2x12. I have 3 of them and tonewise I like them just as well as my 4x12s. I see them go used anywhere between $300-550. But you want a 4x12, you can also pick up a used Marshall 1960 for $300-600, or a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 for $500-600.

And for a dirtbox to put in front of a tube amp, I recommend a MXR Wylde Overdrive.

ETA: You can also find various used Mesa and Marshall all tube combos in your price range. The only ones I'd stay away from would be the Marshall Haze and MA lines.

Some Reverb.com searches:
https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps?query=mesa+combo&sort=price%7Casc

https://reverb.com/marketplace/amps?query=marshall%20tube%20combo&sort=price%7Casc&page=
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Where I in your position I'd buy an Orange OR15 but my focus is classic rock.

OR15
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#11]
The Hot Rod Deluxe's 40 watts has to be THE loudest 40 watts on the planet!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quilter has what you need.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Hot Rod Deluxe's 40 watts has to be THE loudest 40 watts on the planet!
View Quote
Actually, if you just use it for cleans and get your distortion from a preamp pedal such as a Bogner Ecstasy Red or AMT P1 (both of which are excellent pedals), you don't have to turn it up loud to sound good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Gone_Shootin recommended the Helix LT and as a Helix owner, I can confirm they're legit. The only reservation I would have with the LT version is I've seen a bunch of posts on Facebook complaining about the expression pedal breaking. The hinge is a weak point and has been failing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#15]
I messaged the OP about this the other so that he'd have the chance to nab one.

So anyway, this is a good deal on a great little amp. It was originally a one day sale, but it appears that they extended it.

Jet City JCA22H:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification/JCA22H-20W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head.gc
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a Line 6 Spider V60  and love it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#17]
This week I ran wiring from my music room down to the basement. I made up a snake for 5 mics, and instrument cable (so I can run a combo down there from time to time), and two heavy speaker cables.

I have my mesa combo, and my 4x12 cab down there now. My JCM800 is upstairs, but I want a second 4x12, and went ahead and ordered a Orange Micro Dark. Looks like a hell of a little (cheap) amp for the money. I'll let you all know.

Now I'm hunting for a good sounding cheap 4x12 to put down there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Yamaha THR is one to at least look at. I was going to buy one but ran into a molded Kustom Defender 15

It does the clean to crunchy pretty good and takes pedals well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This week I ran wiring from my music room down to the basement. I made up a snake for 5 mics, and instrument cable (so I can run a combo down there from time to time), and two heavy speaker cables.

I have my mesa combo, and my 4x12 cab down there now. My JCM800 is upstairs, but I want a second 4x12, and went ahead and ordered a Orange Micro Dark. Looks like a hell of a little (cheap) amp for the money. I'll let you all know.

View Quote
Craigslist.  On the least expensive end, Peavey and Crate are good bang for the buck.  Shouldn't have to pay more than $200.  Get a straight cab if you can.  The "top"/ slant cabs don't really make that much difference, and you have a little less "table" space on top.

4X12 are cheap now,  Not may people still using the dinosaurs, like I do.

If you find an empty one, Sweetwater usually has a good buy on what appear to be once-installed, then pulled and re-boxed speakers.  Got a Celestion 12" 80 watt for less than $40.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get on guitar center and look for a peavey 412ms in thier used gear.  There will be one for $100 I'm sure of it, have it shipped to your store for free.  The things are built like a tank except for the stereo switch, mine may have been broken from the day I got it though so I just hard wired it stereo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yamaha THR is one to at least look at. I was going to buy one but ran into a molded Kustom Defender 15

It does the clean to crunchy pretty good and takes pedals well.
View Quote
I completely forgot about those. Yamaha owns Line 6, and the individual component modeling that the Helix uses is derived from the same type of modeling used in the Yamaha THR line.

And no, Line 6 isn't based in Japan. They're still based here and operate as they did before, except that they're now a subsidiary of a much larger company, and thus have more resources to tap into. The Line 6 guys have said that Yamaha helped them out quite a bit on putting the Helix together.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get on guitar center and look for a peavey 412ms in thier used gear.  There will be one for $100 I'm sure of it, have it shipped to your store for free.  The things are built like a tank except for the stereo switch, mine may have been broken from the day I got it though so I just hard wired it stereo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found a Vox 412 on Craigslist for $100. My son and I use it with a Orange Micro Terror and my Kustom Defender.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Craigslist.  On the least expensive end, Peavey and Crate are good bang for the buck.  Shouldn't have to pay more than $200.  Get a straight cab if you can.  The "top"/ slant cabs don't really make that much difference, and you have a little less "table" space on top.

4X12 are cheap now,  Not may people still using the dinosaurs, like I do.

If you find an empty one, Sweetwater usually has a good buy on what appear to be once-installed, then pulled and re-boxed speakers.  Got a Celestion 12" 80 watt for less than $40.
View Quote
Thanks to all you guys.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hmm.

Just tried it, and they want $34 to ship it to the store, same as my house, or their cart is goofy.

ETA: I ordered one for $89, plus $34 shipping to the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top