Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2017 1:38:51 AM EDT
I am broke as fuck, but I feel like if I walk away from this deal, I will regret it the rest of my life. I have three guitars up for sale, a Fender Starcaster, An Ibanez GIO, and a beat to shit but plays great Yamaha Pacifica. The first two are nearly brand new. I adjusted them properly, and all three sound great. I got the group, plus two amps for $80 wheelin and dealin. I am trying to get at least $250 out of the guitars. That way I covered my expenditure, got two amps and an Epi ES335 for free!

I am keeping the amps since I am in a shitty cover band.

I have a guitar that I have had for 27 years, I am keeping that, too.

The only real job I have is driving a shuttle on Friday and Saturday nights. I try to land some real estate photography jobs and lawn jobs during the week to keep us afloat. I might go busking tomorrow since its not illegal in my town nor do I need any permits. The lady at city hall just said they have one guideline, "Don't be a dick or play Stairway."

Would you go for the deal?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 2:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends..if it was real nice I would just to flip it and make a few dollars.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's a good deal, but like Fairplay said, if it's nice, I'd flip it if I were in your situation.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm already flipping three guitars and two amps. I have $80 in on that group. If I can get $200 out of the group I can get the ES335 and make some money. This one is too nice to flip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
If you browse some used prices on Epi 335's I think you would be pretty happy with that deal.   I would buy it for that.    Are you sure exactly which model it is?  It could be even a little better deal than you think.  

Nothing wrong with keeping it if you like the feel.  They are nice guitars.  I have a buddy that has an Epi dot that is his favorite guitar.   He has "nicer" more expensive guitars, but he just gravitates towards the tone of that one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#5]
In my personal playing I gravitate towards acoustic folk or WALL OF SOUND alt rock, my professional playing has been mostly jazz/blues and I love those tones. Smooth creamy butter with a touch of reverb, but what I have seen of the DOT on youtube is that it can play hard rock and metal to jazz.

The guy specifies that this is the DOT model, could be the PRO, I dunno.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy specifies that this is the DOT model, could be the PRO, I dunno.
View Quote
There are three Epi 335s I am aware of.

Dot Studio - 2 knobs (vol/tone), open humbuckers, no inlays
Dot - 4 knobs (vol/vol/tone/tone), covered humbuckers, dot inlays
335 Pro - 4 knobs (vol/vol/tone/tone), covered humbuckers, block inlays

ETA - And those are also in order of price. The Dot Studio doesn't seem to be available at retail anymore, but IIRC it was around $300 new (probably just under), versus current prices around $350 for the Dot and $450 for the Pro. I would say $100 is a steal regardless of which exact model.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are three Epi 335s I am aware of.

Dot Studio - 2 knobs (vol/tone), open humbuckers, no inlays
Dot - 4 knobs (vol/vol/tone/tone), covered humbuckers, dot inlays
335 Pro - 4 knobs (vol/vol/tone/tone), covered humbuckers, block inlays

ETA - And those are also in order of price. The Dot Studio doesn't seem to be available at retail anymore, but IIRC it was around $300 new (probably just under), versus current prices around $350 for the Dot and $450 for the Pro. I would say $100 is a steal regardless of which exact model.
View Quote
Its the DOT standard, covered pickups, 4 knobs, dot inlays.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The standard Dot and Dot Pro were/are both great guitars for the price.... especially the more modern model years.  The Dot Pro in addition to block inlays had better pickups and electronics overall.

I have a 339 Pro I got as part of a trade deal, I had intended to flip it... but it's held it's own and I enjoy it enough to keep it around for now.  I'd go $100 on any of the more recent Epi's pretty easily... some of the older ones were a bit wonky.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I met the owner last night at at truck stop.

We shared some imitation crab meat in the cab of his rig. He said the guitar was in the sleeper but as I turned to head back there....

JK!

We did meet at a truck stop. The Dot is in very good to like new shape. It needs to be wiped down and the fretboard scrubbed, and other than two minor scuffs, its primo! The owner did state that the pickups were upgraded by his brother, who used to be a guitar tech for Steven Curtis Chapman. The serial number says it was made in June 2003 in Korea. The case is in good condition but its been banged up a little bit, but that's what cases are for. The odd part is, in the cubby of the case, was a jack nut, which I need for one of the guitars I am selling! He also threw in a very nice stand.

Now... I need to move these three guitars I'm selling!

$100. I still can't believe it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats, play the shit out of it! 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats, play the shit out of it! 
View Quote
Oh, I have!

Its got the tone I wanted. I love it. I checked the intonation and it's spot on. It was having some tuning issues, so I lubricated the nut with graphite (Pencil lead) and that stopped. The nut is really tight.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Great players.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:24:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I should put up some pictures for you guys.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a great deal to me, throw some pics up!
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I should put up some pictures for you guys.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Well? Where are the pics?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top