Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2017 3:26:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]

If you know the tape stock kind it might help - TDK, Maxxel, etc.  to be able to adjust your bias control to get the best sound.

I have this deck myself and it provides smooth logic controlled transport as it has capstan pinch rollers on both sides  (push-pull)

Balanced out to a good AD converter.

On a single pass, an old tape can deposit oxide to your heads and rollers so make sure it is clean before you attempt this (use cleaner meant for rubber rollers or you will dry out the pinch rollers), and clean again when you turn over the tape.

These things have held their value on Ebay and such.   I'm surprised they are asking for good money for these decks these days.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
A good USB audio interface. You can go from $100 to a few grand, depending on what you go for. You do get what you pay for, for the most part, but there are also diminishing returns. Focusrite Scarlett, M-Audio, and PreSonus are some budget brands that get good reviews.

Beyond that, most come bundled with a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) which is a multi-track recording program that will allow you to capture the audio. If it doesn't come with one, you can down load Reaper for free. They ask for a donation after a trial, but it's voluntary, and since you're just doing one recording, it shouldn't be a big deal. It's what I use, and is fairly easy to use with plenty of how to stuff on YouTube. One tip, when you record the tape, put each channel on it's own track. You can do this in one take by assigning a track to each of the two audio channels. That way you can process each side independently if you need to.

Here's a search I did on Zzounds.com:
http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?q=usb+interface&cat=2418&ob=pop&pa=31&form=search&key=q

Reaper:
https://www.reaper.fm
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there anything that'll read 4 track audio cassette?  I got a bunch of old recordings I did on a Fostex X-26 back in the day...
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
An old 4 track into an interface.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Find a friend or someone with a Nakamichi 1000, or other high end cassete deck, set the bias for the type of tape. I'd listen critically to decide if it was recorded with Dolby B NR (it will have an overemphasized high end to my ears), turn that on if it sounds better. Run that into a DAW through the best converters you can borrow, set the level around -6 dB or so and preview to make sure it never clips. I think 48kHz sampling 24 would be fine for this.

You can encode MP3 or MP4 later, but save as .wav (full PCM, no compression) because you want the highest quality possible for the "master" copy. I have a Lynx converter, someone you know might have an Apogee or Presonus, RME, something like that to convert with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top