BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I jumped on Ultimate Guitar and I'm really enjoying it, thanks.

A friend found me this so now I have an electric.

https://i.imgur.com/cUbQ12r.jpg?2

2002 Epiphone Dot
View Quote
Nice.
Ive been eyeing semi hollows for a while.
Nice score
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went to Guitarcenter and got a decent beginners pack.I been practicing th E A and D chords..but my finger is soo sore after an hour of that.And I am 52,always wanted to learn...going to take lessons soon.Is there anything you can do about that sore finger at the beginning?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just went to Guitarcenter and got a decent beginners pack.I been practicing th E A and D chords..but my finger is soo sore after an hour of that.And I am 52,always wanted to learn...going to take lessons soon.Is there anything you can do about that sore finger at the beginning?
View Quote
It takes time for the calluses to build up.

As far as practicing the E, A, and D chords, add in a "C", an "Em", and a "G" and you'll be all set to play tons of stuff.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't play an hour starting lol.
I did 15 minutes each AM and PM...then after a week or so went longer etc.
I'd say by week 2.5-3 I was at that 30 min am and evening with zero issue. After a month an hour straight wasn't hard. But you'd feel it the next day. You gotta build up calluses. If you tried to dig a 12ft by 12ft hole with out ever shoveling before how would your hands feel? Same concept.

Also go to a light gauge string. Itll help some.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just keep playing, they will callous up eventually. You can hasten this by jamming your thumbnail into your 4 fingertips over and over.
Light strings like was mentioned earlier.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Is there anything you can do about that sore finger at the beginning?
View Quote
Just take a break when they get to hurting to bad.  Just takes a little time to build up a callus.  Not sure if it'll work or not maybe put a little super glue on your tips.  Might give you a little barrier.  I use it on my feet when I get spots that want to form blisters.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a sub for yousician.Seems to help and its easier for me to follow until I get my real life lessons started.I am trying to get husband to pick up one or play the Sax ,he used to in HS..
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
n00b fingers and trying to learn Times Like These by the Foo Fighters

https://s22.postimg.cc/4l835a1y9/IMG_7070.png
View Quote
Lol.
Im doing about an hour a day. Sunday i think i did 3 total cause i was bored.
Wanna try one thats easy chords but lots of changes. Avicis hey brother.

Sides that i tried learning john andersons seminole wind,3 jimmy buffet tunes and eagles take it easy, and 2 johny cash songs and i had to take a day off.
Fucking come Monday as slow as it is has changes i cant quite hit due to timing...
Trimmed my damn nails to close as i was wearing a grove in one(ring finger). So i had sore tips on top of normal soreness lol.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
n00b fingers and trying to learn Times Like These by the Foo Fighters

https://s22.postimg.cc/4l835a1y9/IMG_7070.png
View Quote
Maybe that's just a bad pic but the action on that guitar look terrible...
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is.  I didn't realize it but my guitar is really really bad.  I went to a friend's gig last week, he is a pro bluegrass guy and he let me try his new guitar - it was SO easy to play.  It was also a 1946 Martin that he just paid $13,000 for (he's also a Dr. lol).  But he said he can show me any of a number of $200ish guitars that will feel the same to me.  Mine is a piece of shit Johnson I got at a pawn shop for my kid ages ago.  Time to go shopping.
View Quote
If you were closer...id loan you my fender just to make it easier for you.
Its still 2+ hours for you where we hiked right??

I set my budget at 250+ not to bust 300 unless i desperately needed to. There were many great guitars in that range.
Youve got fender,epiphone,washburn,alverez..yamaha etc..
They all have sub 300 and some sub 200.
Its all sound and neck profiles of your choice at that point.

Fathers day gift for yourself..go hit some shops....
i keep debating on getting a palor guitar to fuck with. Wife would kill me lol.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]
58 years young, and just ordered an Epiphone Ultra III to go with my other 4 guitars.

I've been playing since I was 13, and I'm starting back with advanced lessons on the 30th.

Never too old !!!!!

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
58 years young, and just ordered an Epiphone Ultra III to go with my other 4 guitars.

I've been playing since I was 13, and I'm starting back with advanced lessons on the 30th.

Never too old !!!!!

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Ultra-III/Gallery/POP_UltraIII-ME.jpg
View Quote
Thats
Is tight looking. Love it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Never too old !!!!!

http://images.epiphone.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Ultra-III/Gallery/POP_UltraIII-ME.jpg
View Quote
Love that black midnight color..

I am looking at hellparts.com and a few other places for some new "trim" and to get my Studio Delux a different look...prolly gonna go with that "star chaser" set hellparts has.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thats
Is tight looking. Love it.
View Quote
+1

Fantastic!  A friend lent me a Les Paul to play and I really like.  I can see why they are so popular.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Four months in and my chord changes still suck. Working an average of 70+ hrs a week doesn't leave as much time for practice as I'd like.  I've learned that although I love the sound of the acoustic for certain music, an electric feels so much better and is easier on the fingers.

#LeftyMasterRace
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is.  I didn't realize it but my guitar is really really bad.  I went to a friend's gig last week, he is a pro bluegrass guy and he let me try his new guitar - it was SO easy to play.  It was also a 1946 Martin that he just paid $13,000 for (he's also a Dr. lol).  But he said he can show me any of a number of $200ish guitars that will feel the same to me.  Mine is a piece of shit Johnson I got at a pawn shop for my kid ages ago.  Time to go shopping.
View Quote
If your willing to invest in shipping to and from KY I'll take a look at it for you.  Depending on how cheap it is there may be hope.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want to use an app to play along with. It, of course, needs to give me the ability to slow the playback speed so I can play along.
Songster looks good, but I am woefully unaware of what's out there. I would like to buy once....
View Quote
Yousician..has all of that and more...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Going to have my first lesson tonight..??
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Cool.

I stopped going to lessons, the guy locally and I were not on same wavelength. I wanted to learn X and he was only wanting to teach Y.

Learn what you want to play.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Tried my hand at steve earls cooperhead road...
Again....
3 fucking easy chords..but i cant get that lil lick just right..lol. i know where an hour of my night will be spent lol.
Stupid fingers move damn it lol.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Cool.

I stopped going to lessons, the guy locally and I were not on same wavelength. I wanted to learn X and he was only wanting to teach Y.

Learn what you want to play.
View Quote
The guy who came for my lesson is a personal friend of ours.Been playing since age 7.. so way to advanced and he wanted to show off his talent rather than really explain things..So I am sticking with Yousician for now.Its really fun, its easy to understand also. Its a yearly sub. for 100 bucks.. even has a tuner build in and so much more.I love it.. Ultimate goal is Little Wing..( least a part of it) I be a happy woman..lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tried my hand at steve earls cooperhead road...
Again....
3 fucking easy chords..but i cant get that lil lick just right..lol. i know where an hour of my night will be spent lol.
Stupid fingers move damn it lol.
View Quote
I am having problems curling my fingers with certain chords.. I  also hit the other  string with edge of next finger or same finger.Then it sounds one of my goats is screaming.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I am having problems curling my fingers with certain chords.. I  also hit the other  string with edge of next finger or same finger.Then it sounds one of my goats is screaming.
View Quote
Happens to me on fast changes to C or F at times. On my washburn its on D because the neck is thinner than my other guitars.
Try to do any suspends and brzzzzttttuzzz..mute
Very common when i first started on almost every chord.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#28]
If no matter how hard you try it just seems as though your fingers lack the necessary coordination you can try open tuning.  It's a blessing for those of us with big, strong, clumsy hands.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Been a strummer since I started playing 11 years ago. Now two days into trying to learn fingerstyle...it's gonna be fun!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Talked to a kid at Guitar center about the chordbuddy.He said its OK when you cant use your fingers well but it will prevent you from developing calluses.So thats a nogo.But I did picked me up a chord sheet and smaller strungs and a stand,my guitar came with a softcase.I browsed around that store ,sooo overwhelming with things they have.Do not know anything about all the doodads they have.
But they have some suoernice guitars there also...
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Tulip.
Only gizmos ive got have been a snark,different picks ( i like the dunlop off white and light grey nylon), cheap straps and strings and a capo. Snark was cuz it was 9$ lol.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#32]
@BayEagle

Well..you get something yet

149$ got me this.
D42S washburn. Made from 99-01' it seems. Cant find out much more about it.
Got grover 18-1 tuners.
Actions low. Lil fret buzz if you hard strum it.
So i gotta adjust the rod. Its super low right now.
Sounds great. Looks like new.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@BayEagle

Well..you get something yet

149$ got me this.
D42S washburn. Made from 99-01' it seems. Cant find out much more about it.
Got grover 18-1 tuners.
Actions low. Lil fret buzz if you hard strum it.
So i gotta adjust the rod. Its super low right now.
Sounds great. Looks like new.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20180616_152928-583113.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20180616_153001-583114.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20180616_152945-583117.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20180616_153155-583118.JPG
View Quote
That is very pretty
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:47:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Good score.
Only thing i dislike about my AE  is it aint super loud like my dreds...but that's what an amp is for lol.
Great for when i dont wanna play loud in the AM.
Congrats man.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#36]
No one has posted her a while ..
Where is everyone at now as far as progression goes? I am itching to go to the guitar center for some stuff I do not need and maybe some stickers ..lol

If anyone uses Yousician ,I am on step 3 now in the lead guitar tabs..I also trying  to learn Chords, but jebus, my fingers aint fast enough for it.. yet.I get dead strings a lot also.My callus are coming along nicely,I try to practice about 2 hours a day when I can.Tablature is my thing for now,tho.Still slow ,its getting better.

I practice on a Epiphone Les Paul special LE2..Cheap but good enough for me for now.. around 200 bucks with a small amp.

Have a great day,all:)
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Spent sat. Practicing over the rainbow/wonderful world for over an hour.
Last night i bounced around.
Fortunate son by CCR, some Beatles crap lol .
Been hammering down redemption song by Marley and pirate looks at 40 by Buffett.
Mostly slower songs with lots of chord changes. Forces me to slow down and concentrate on timing.
Trying my hand at doing intro licks vs just strum intros.

I really need to seriously work on B/BM chords.
Its hokding me back on some songs i like.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Went back for theory lessons three weeks ago. We take a song and break it down into the chords and progression, and why the chords and patterns are what they are. The theory is really an eye opener.

First song was White Room by Cream.
Now we're doing God Gave Rock and Roll to You by KISS.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lol.
Im doing about an hour a day. Sunday i think i did 3 total cause i was bored.
Wanna try one thats easy chords but lots of changes. Avicis hey brother.

Sides that i tried learning john andersons seminole wind,3 jimmy buffet tunes and eagles take it easy, and 2 johny cash songs and i had to take a day off.
Fucking come Monday as slow as it is has changes i cant quite hit due to timing...
Trimmed my damn nails to close as i was wearing a grove in one(ring finger). So i had sore tips on top of normal soreness lol.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49816/20180612_143708-573574.JPG
View Quote
The placement of those show that you are practicing good technique, and not getting lazy with your fretting hand.

Good work!
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Check out Taylor.  They have the best setup of any moderately priced guitars out there.  Very comfortable necks.

This is a great choice.  I'm selling a Martin D-18GE and might grab one of these to replace it.

Taylor 114ce Grand Auditorium
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Check out Taylor.  They have the best setup of any moderately priced guitars out there.  Very comfortable necks.

This is a great choice.  I'm selling a Martin D-18GE and might grab one of these to replace it.

View Quote
I really love my new Taylor that I got at Christmas. It is a 214ce Koa. I may be wrong but I think I can hear it starting to open up. It seems to sound less and less tinny to me as I practice.

I am almost 60 and trying to learn how to play. I really, really, really wanted to get a D18 but couldn’t justify spending that much knowing how many times I have bought nice guitars intending to learn to play them. Strats, Les Pauls and a 335. At least I never bit on that D45.

It is sort of encouraging that you would be satisfied with a Taylor when you have the Martin. I am from near Nashville, and have friends touring with the big boys. Even a grammy winning songwriter friend. I don’t recall any of them ever breaking out a Taylor. But I love mine and am actually slowly making progress. If I ever learn to play more than three songs I will get a Martin.

One of the reasons that I bought the Taylor is my son. He has no interest in firearms, and I want to have something to leave him that he would use and enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#42]
See. That's how I kinda am on "brands".
Why over look a lesser popular name just for that same.
I own 4 guitars. A fender, takamine, and two Washburns.
Each one sounds totally different than the other. Each one is a different price point,different body style ( dreadnaught  and folk) .
Honestly what made each one change it's sound was the strings.

Its funny because since I'm still new...I haven't found that sound/tone I like. The fender and takamine sound great with martin strings. The CE Washburn sounds great with D'daddrio 80/20s...
The older Washburn with nickle bronze strings has this...almost harp like sound when played soft and gets super loud when hit hard.
The takamine is louder on finger picking.....

Each one different. All of them 3-500$ guitars.

I've thought of it to..
If you have martin vs X brand.
Both same body style
Both same materials ,say mahogany back,sides,spruce top, mahogany neck,rosewood finger board.
Same strings.
Whats gonna be the difference.....
How bought lay 4 D18s and 4 D45s down ...they will all sound different..

Maybe I'm wrong..I dunno.. but it's what I've noticed just finger fucking guitars of all makes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#43]
One of my 46 year old friends, who has run soundboards for bands for years, picked up bass last year and is now playing minor league professional gigs around town with a metal band and he's just having a blast.  Do it...

ETA:  I think your choice in Guitars is most excellent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I really love my new Taylor that I got at Christmas. It is a 214ce Koa. I may be wrong but I think I can hear it starting to open up. It seems to sound less and less tinny to me as I practice.

I am almost 60 and trying to learn how to play. I really, really, really wanted to get a D18 but couldn’t justify spending that much knowing how many times I have bought nice guitars intending to learn to play them. Strats, Les Pauls and a 335. At least I never bit on that D45.

It is sort of encouraging that you would be satisfied with a Taylor when you have the Martin. I am from near Nashville, and have friends touring with the big boys. Even a grammy winning songwriter friend. I don’t recall any of them ever breaking out a Taylor. But I love mine and am actually slowly making progress. If I ever learn to play more than three songs I will get a Martin.

One of the reasons that I bought the Taylor is my son. He has no interest in firearms, and I want to have something to leave him that he would use and enjoy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a lot of really good players with Takamine.  It's never been one I would consider 'top tier', but what do I know?

Also, the Taylor neck profile is super-comfortable to me, while the D-18 'V-neck' is tougher to play.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I see a lot of really good players with Takamine.  It's never been one I would consider 'top tier', but what do I know?

Also, the Taylor neck profile is super-comfortable to me, while the D-18 'V-neck' is tougher to play.
View Quote
Ive got a g series takamine ..aka a 300$ guitar.
Its nice...but lacking in the looks department.
I do like the pass through bridge. No pins to worry about.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One of my 46 year old friends, who has run soundboards for bands for years, picked up bass last year and is now playing minor league professional gigs around town with a metal band and he's just having a blast.  Do it...

ETA:  I think your choice in Guitars is most excellent.
View Quote
Additional encouragement... This friend's band (guitar player is also late 40's but had been playing for a while) just got some interest from a promoter who has put some opening bands with big name acts (I was sworn to secrecy so no names until it's done).  Just like academic pursuits, I think we have so much more focus in middle age.  At 49 I'm hearing other styles so differently such as bluegrass. I restarted my playing, largely and unwittingly inspired by my buddy referenced above, after not playing much since college where I basically played in a few garage bands and even played with an Elvis impersonator.  My school had a well renowned music department so I got to play with some incredible musicians (which I've never considered myself)..  It's also cool that I get to play while two of my kids learn guitar (one bass, other guitar).
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#47]
As my music tastes have changed throughout the years, I came back around to rock/heavy metal, saw a bunch of bands up close the last few years (foreigner, REO speedwagon, Def Leppard, Journey, Judas Priest, etc..) I started having a desire to learn how to play.  My brother has been playing since before high school, has always been in bands, I just never really had much desire.

So I asked him to check local stores for something playable thats on the lower price end of things since I wouldnt know what I was looking at, he found an ESP LTD at local Sam Ash so picked that up, I been checking out online courses, phone apps and stuff for somewhere to start, still figuring out how/where to get started and decided to check here to see if there was a guitar/music sub-forum...and look what I found, lol, I guess I'm not alone...

I'm 49 with sore left fingertips now, lol
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
As my music tastes have changed throughout the years, I came back around to rock/heavy metal, saw a bunch of bands up close the last few years (foreigner, REO speedwagon, Def Leppard, Journey, Judas Priest, etc..) I started having a desire to learn how to play.  My brother has been playing since before high school, has always been in bands, I just never really had much desire.

So I asked him to check local stores for something playable thats on the lower price end of things since I wouldnt know what I was looking at, he found an ESP LTD at local Sam Ash so picked that up, I been checking out online courses, phone apps and stuff for somewhere to start, still figuring out how/where to get started and decided to check here to see if there was a guitar/music sub-forum...and look what I found, lol, I guess I'm not alone...

I'm 49 with sore left fingertips now, lol
View Quote
The cheap starter guitars of today beat the ever living shit out of the crap I had starting out in the late 80's.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The cheap starter guitars of today beat the ever living shit out of the crap I had starting out in the late 80's.
View Quote
No kidding.  I started electric first with a Harmony SG (bolt on lol), then a Series 10 strat-ish, and bass with a Lotus.  Now my kids were able to start with a used nice Washburn acoustic and a Washburn bass with active EQ...for about the same prices adjusted for inflation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Has anybody tried the iRig 2?

I want to use apps on my phone to teach me how to play, but don't want to disturb anybody in the house at night, could I hear to the app, hear my guitar through headphones and could the app "hear" the guitar through the iRig?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top