Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 8:39:37 PM EDT
Hey guys , ran a search and didnt find any related topics , sorry if this has been covered lately .
Recently broke up with my band , peacefully .
I always trust your guys opinions .
Been looking at CHEAP pa systems , but just want to run straight off my PC for backing tracks .
Need to be around regular live band volume ....... or somewhat close .
You think my best bet would be just 1 powered speaker , connected to my PC ???

Cost is an issue , was laid off for a bit , the cheaper the better , no more than $150 for this purpose , and that might be too high .

If you guys think this is a reasonable path for audio , here are a couple I considered if I could find them beat up and abused ,

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EUROLIVE-B208D-Active-PA-Speaker-System?sku=620523&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=348552456

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEHRINGER-POWERED-STUDIO-MONITOR-SPEAKERS-MS16-NO-RES-/180498781521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0690d551
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes on the first link, no on the second.  

You'll be fine with one speaker.  If you have stereo backing tracks, you will have to sum them to mono.  If you can get by with only one channel, you can plug the left or right into your speaker and leave the other side just hanging there.  Do not use an adapter cable to combine the left and right signals.  If you have to sum the left and right channel it's best to use a small mixer.

You can also look around for a used jbl EON, in the 10' or 15' variety.  There are a ton of those things out there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're just jamming at home, you could just run your PC headphone jack into the Aux input of either a big boom box or a stereo system (I'm guessing you have one). Or of it doesn't have a Aux input, you could also use one of those cassette to headphone jack adapters.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you're just jamming at home, you could just run your PC headphone jack into the Aux input of either a big boom box or a stereo system (I'm guessing you have one). Or of it doesn't have a Aux input, you could also use one of those cassette to headphone jack adapters.

I need it to be louder and clearer than the little crappy work boxes I have laying around .
You know , around the same volume as playing in a basement with 3 other guys and a drummer .
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need it to be louder and clearer than the little crappy work boxes I have laying around .

You know , around the same volume as playing in a basement with 3 other guys and a drummer .

I'm not talking about "crappy little work boxes".........

Nevermind....

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to ebay and get a used set of Alesis or Tannoy monitors.   I like the Alesis Monitor Ones but I'm not opposed to any Alesis or Tannoy monitors.   They don't need to cost a lot,  not on ebay, and are going to perform very well.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welp , sorry .  I hear " boom box " and automatically picture Turbo from Breakin' carrying his on his shoulder in 1984 .
I've been in band as long as I can remember , and we had a nice PA to use , I'm not clear on cheap alternatives for around the house , I'm not a gear head , just like to play .
I have 5 k in equipment and have been officially banned from anymore big purchases , stands to reason if I had anything powerful enough to do what I want , my problem would be solved .
Gone_Shooting a little more patience please .

Thanks CM , I checked the  Alesis out , If I'm not mistaken , they aren't powered , so I would have to buy a preamp for them right ?
The cheapest Tannoy I found was only passive .

Thanks for the suggestions .
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I really don't think that studio monitors are your best bet.  They might work for backing track accompaniment under certain circumstances, but if I understand correctly the goal here is to produce band rehearsal volumes.  A powered speaker like the jbl EON or similar Behringer model will come closer to suiting your needs.  

You could also use a powered speaker as a stage monitor if you decide to play out again.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The monitors I suggested will play pretty loud but you do need an amp to drive them.  A receiver with 100 WPC should be quite sufficient.

It's probably cheaper to score a used receiver and speakers than to try to score equivalent power self-powered monitors.

I do think that monitors will play adequately loud.   I say that, having owned a set of Monitor Ones.   I'm an audiophile, with some

very expensive equipment, and those Monitor Ones impressed me.  Incredibly good sounding speakers,  and that's not even making

allowances for the fact that they're so small and (by my standards) inexpensive.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay.

Well, if it were me, I'd at least hit the pawn shops to see if I could find a stereo loud enough. Seriously, you'd be surprised how cheap old school big ass stereos go for these days.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I do think that monitors will play adequately loud. I say that, having owned a set of Monitor Ones. I'm an audiophile, with some
very expensive equipment, and those Monitor Ones impressed me. Incredibly good sounding speakers, and that's not even making
allowances for the fact that they're so small and (by my standards) inexpensive.

I wouldn't argue with anything written here, it's the OP's desired application that I question.

I used to jam along to tracks at a reasonable volume using a pair of Tannoy monitors.  They sounded awesome.  With near-field monitors, however, you really need to listen up close to realize their benefit.  Sure, maybe they seem loud from a distance, but try using them with a hard-hitting drummer or half stack cranked to 11.  If your live instruments are very loud, your studio monitors will not keep up.  They are not designed to keep up.

A powered PA speaker has a couple of advantages over the studio monitors for this particular application.  A larger woofer allows for louder bass without causing the speaker to jump out it's enclosure.  A horn-loaded high frequency driver helps to efficiently project and disperse the highs.  In other words, it is designed to be heard in a room with live musicians.  Furthermore, a powered speaker can sit on the floor like a monitor wedge, or mount on a pole, allowing the user to easily place it in the best location.  The benefits of correct speaker placement in a live setting cannot be understated.  

I'm only trying to read the OP's request.  He seems to want it cheap and loud.  Forget setting up a receiver or amp, running speaker wire, etc.  Get one Behringer powered speaker (less than $200), plug it into a wall outlet, point it at your melon and GO!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're planning to actually do any recording engineering, you need an accurate amp and speaker system.   Most "big old stereos from pawn shops" may play loud but I woudn't call them accurate enough or detailed enough to get the job done.   If you're going to do any mixing or EQ'ing,

you need accurate speakers or you're just working against yourself.

Get some real studio monitors as I described.  They'll make your job easy.

If you just want to jam along,  then just get anything that sounds OK to you and be done with it.
CJ

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Need to be around regular live band volume ....... or somewhat close .
You think my best bet would be just 1 powered speaker , connected to my PC ???

The answer to this question is a resounding yes.  If you want to play tracks at live band volume, if you want to play your instrument at high levels as if it were a gig or rehearsal, buy a piece of equipment designed for live music applications.

You've said nothing about mixing or mastering music.  Don't buy low-end studio monitor speakers for playback alongside live instruments.  Imagine a singer trying to use a pair of near-fields as a stage monitor in a live setting.

PA speaker cabinets are designed to produce intelligible music in loud, noisy environments.  Near-field studio monitors are designed for fine tuning a mix in a quiet control room.  If PA cabinets are apples and studio monitors are oranges, you want apples in this situation, trust me.

I'm not just spouting theory, here.  I recently set up a jbl EON (powered PA cabinet) in front of my drum kit and jammed along with Soundgarden's Superunknown.  The cabinet produced clear, punchy, loud music that I could easily play along with.  Can one really argue that I would've been better off with a home stereo or studio monitors, when there I sit behind my drums at full tilt boogie?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Get one Behringer powered speaker (less than $200), plug it into a wall outlet, point it at your melon and GO!!!

Thanks a lot for the advice , I just want to satisfy my jones until i find some guys to play with again .

I think I will go this route .
Anyone have any suggestions on a tested and proven powered Ill be checking back , untill then I will be searching for Behringer .

Thanks again for your time guys .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top