Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/20/2010 6:12:25 PM EDT
Hi-

I'd like to know if anyone is using any RIFF slowing software, and if so, what have the experience been? Any "stay ways" or recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2010 8:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2010 8:47:23 PM EDT by kevhogAZ]
One of my guitar playing friends had one, and it was pretty cool. This was 6-7 years ago, and even the technology back then was pretty cool.

You could play any CD in it, and it would slow down the song, and not distort the pitch, or sound of the song. We used it to learn the single string notes in Megadeth's "Rust in peace...Polaris".

I don't remember the brand he had, but AMS has a bunch of different ones now, that are way more advanced. I'm pretty sure they're using MP3's now, too.

Here's a link to AMS' page, that has a few on it. Looks like they're pretty cheap now, and I'll bet used one's on Ebay are even cheaper.

AMS Guitar Trainers
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 10:05:48 AM EDT
Thanks for pointer.

Looks like that site could have what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 4:22:47 PM EDT
No problem, I've bought a lot stuff from them, and they've never let me down. Watch out for the 3-payment deal, I've ended up with more stuff than I wanted due that!
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 7:53:49 PM EDT
Amazing Slow Downer is a software solution.

Hardware, there are the Tascam MP-1 or GT-1 for mp3 or CD format, respectively.

I just got a Boss Micro BR for Father's Day. It's a 4 track recorder with drum patterns and a guitar amp sim. It also plays MP3s, has a phrase trainer that varies speed from 25-200%, a-b looping, and center audio cancel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:38:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sleepdr:

I just got a Boss Micro BR for Father's Day. It's a 4 track recorder with drum patterns and a guitar amp sim. It also plays MP3s, has a phrase trainer that varies speed from 25-200%, a-b looping, and center audio cancel.

Pretty neat and the price point isn't too bad for what it gives you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 8:47:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lion_Dog:

Indeed. For not many more dollars than the Tascam trainers, you get something that is a trainer/headphone practice amp/musical sketchpad.

I finally got to play around with it for about 20 minutes last night. Even with my complete and absolute level of guitar suckage, it was inspiring. I whipped up a 45 second 2-guitar jam over a rhythm, and had a very satisfying practice session doing that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:59:24 AM EDT

Indeed. For not many more dollars than the Tascam trainers, you get something that is a trainer/headphone practice amp/musical sketchpad.

I finally got to play around with it for about 20 minutes last night. Even with my complete and absolute level of guitar suckage, it was inspiring. I whipped up a 45 second 2-guitar jam over a rhythm, and had a very satisfying practice session doing that.

Hey doc, how is it working out? Does this have the capability of minimizing frequencies to isolate, Lead, Rhythm, etc. or vocals?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:59:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2010 8:14:35 PM EDT by sleepdr]

Hey doc, how is it working out? Does this have the capability of minimizing frequencies to isolate, Lead, Rhythm, etc. or vocals?

As far as I can remember, it only does a center channel cancel. It may be able to do more based on location within the stereo image, but I doubt it has a specific freq cancel. Haven't picked it up for a while, since I started all over again with very basic lessons. Now that it's time to start learning some actual songs, I'll fiddle around with it more and see what can be done.

Update:
Easy to transfer MP3 files onto the unit. I put a 2GB SD card in and have loads of room, especially with only 3 songs on there right now. Between "House of the Rising Sun," "Master of Puppets," and "Crazy Train," there's lots for to learn in there.

Phrase trainer section will slow down to 25% and keep the same pitch. There is expected audio artifact when you get down to 50%, but still useful. A-B section looping is as easy as pushing one button for your start point, pushing it again for the end point, and then letting it loop. Pushing the button again cancels the loop.

Center cancel is, as I said, not isolated to frequency. I played with it last night a bit more. It will allow you to adjust where in the stereo field you want things cancelled. That's very useful for multiple guitars, for example, if you just want to learn a part that is panned somewhere right or left in the mix.

Add in the chromatic tuner, COSM amp sim, and it's a great little tool. The fact that it is a 4 track multitracker with 8 virtual tracks to which you can bounce and mixdown, along with other built in effects, make it simply amazing to me. Recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time max, it still gives the utility of a much larger piece of equipment and is limited more by its user interface. Even that is pretty user-friendly.

I come from a background of recording stuff either on a tape-based Portastudio, or doing my radio spots on 2 different reel-to-reel machines at a time and manually splicing the tape together. Not until my 3rd station did we do any computer-based recording and editing, and even that was fairly kludgy. There is more capability in this Walkman-sized gadget than there was in many of the smaller recording rooms at some of my previous radio station jobs.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:19:32 AM EDT

As far as I can remember, it only does a center channel cancel. It may be able to do more based on location within the stereo image, but I doubt it has a specific freq cancel. Haven't picked it up for a while, since I started all over again with very basic lessons. Now that it's time to start learning some actual songs, I'll fiddle around with it more and see what can be done.

Update:
Easy to transfer MP3 files onto the unit. I put a 2GB SD card in and have loads of room, especially with only 3 songs on there right now. Between "House of the Rising Sun," "Master of Puppets," and "Crazy Train," there's lots for to learn in there.

Phrase trainer section will slow down to 25% and keep the same pitch. There is expected audio artifact when you get down to 50%, but still useful. A-B section looping is as easy as pushing one button for your start point, pushing it again for the end point, and then letting it loop. Pushing the button again cancels the loop.

Center cancel is, as I said, not isolated to frequency. I played with it last night a bit more. It will allow you to adjust where in the stereo field you want things cancelled. That's very useful for multiple guitars, for example, if you just want to learn a part that is panned somewhere right or left in the mix.

Add in the chromatic tuner, COSM amp sim, and it's a great little tool. The fact that it is a 4 track multitracker with 8 virtual tracks to which you can bounce and mixdown, along with other built in effects, make it simply amazing to me. Recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time max, it still gives the utility of a much larger piece of equipment and is limited more by its user interface. Even that is pretty user-friendly.

I come from a background of recording stuff either on a tape-based Portastudio, or doing my radio spots on 2 different reel-to-reel machines at a time and manually splicing the tape together. Not until my 3rd station did we do any computer-based recording and editing, and even that was fairly kludgy. There is more capability in this Walkman-sized gadget than there was in many of the smaller recording rooms at some of my previous radio station jobs.

Was on vacation.

Outstanding review. Thanks Doc!

Top Top