User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you checked out F.I.T. ??  My son went to F.I.T. for Aerospace Engineering and has been working in the field for the past 5 year at a top company.

When we toured both Embry-Riddle and F.I.T.  I liked F.I.T. better.  More of a tight knit cohort with the students.  Not to mention the full ride my son received. ;-)

View Quote

That’s like comparing Gucci vs. Ralf Lauren.

It comes down to whichever offers the best scholarship.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
On my third major airline here.  Get a degree in anything he can get good grades in and finish rapidly.  Then fly on the side at an All ATPs type puppy mill.
View Quote

Dude, that’s great advice, but OP’s son has not even said he want’s to be a pilot, (yet.)  
Focus.  .  Not everyone has the disease.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My daughter graduated from ERAU in Dec 2019. By January 15, 2020 had an $80k job with excellent benefits (matching 401k, paid health and dental and 6 weeks vacation) working as a satellite operations engineer. Aero major with a human factors minor...tuition is steep but the education is good and the name recognition is first class....just got a bonus and a raise last month...
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait, there's girls there now?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
ER is a good school.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wait, there's girls there now?
View Quote

29 of them out of every 100 students but yeah...
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Well that's up by a factor of 10 since I was there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Right? They advertised 5:1 when I was there, so you know it was worse. And most of them weren't in the engineering classes.
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

When my boy visited he said there were actual females there..Fine either way but he's going to need to be pretty focused for the next 4 years
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They don't call it Stress for nothing.
Which textbook?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a young guy with a MS from ERAU working for me that received a good education.  I think he had a ME degree.

Twenty years ago their program was on par with Parks.

I own a textbook written by one of the instructors there that is outstanding.

Tell your son to stay away from a career as a strength analyst.  It will grind him down.

They don't call it Stress for nothing.
Which textbook?

Mrs. vim's uncle was an aero engineer and worked in the stress lab for Northrop Grumman.  He apparently took great delight in answering the phone there "Stress!" in an agitated voice.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Engineering?  Go to a normal school, get a degree and get laid along the way.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Any top engineering university will suffer from a very poor female-to-male ratio. It can help to attend one that is near other universities with a more normal population of female students. I speak from experience

It also helps immensely if your extra-curricular activities are the Right Stuff. Geeky shit won't cut it. Sports don't always cut it, either. I got involved booking bands and other performers for the school. Rock and roll is always a sure thing and I did very well
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#13]
If he's going for aerospace engineering he'd be better off (both academically and financially) going to either Purdue or Georgia Tech. ERAU's not a bad program, but it's expensive for what it is.

I'll grant you that Daytona Beach is a nicer place to spend four years than either West Lafayette or Atlanta.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Dropped him off a few days ago (drove from Oklahoma and flew back). Coed dorms as in girls next door. Nice looking campus. Crossing my fingers that he does well
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Cost.

It's going to cost.

A lot.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cost.

It's going to cost.

A lot.

View Quote

No kiddin...they gave him 2 scholarships. Still had to pull a chunk out of the 529
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Spent the past couple of days there.  There were a heck of a lot of people on campus.  The campus is very nice.

It really seems like the students are there to learn.  I hope that's the case.

Either way, the kid is happy and it's the school he really wanted to attend.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spent the past couple of days there.  There were a heck of a lot of people on campus.  The campus is very nice.

It really seems like the students are there to learn.  I hope that's the case.

Either way, the kid is happy and it's the school he really wanted to attend.
View Quote

If they have any questions or need any help with anything, let me know.

ERAU class of 07 and currently working at DAB approach control/tower.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you, I really appreciate that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

My kid is staying at Adams hall. They stuffed 3 kids in that tiny dorm room but they seem to be getting along. He had nearly a ringside seat for the SpaceX  launch last week. If that doesn't motivate
I don't know what will
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
As somebody who is occasionally forced to fly into DAB, the ERAU flight training program isn’t what people make it out to be.  I have had them cut me off on an approach after they were instructed to stay out of the Charlie, fly out to the shoreline and then turn the wrong direction and fly directly at me, enter a hold on the non protected side and cause me to break off an approach, and turn at me and block a taxiway when they couldn’t figure out ground was telling them to pass behind me.  I have even heard ATC tell them to put the instructor on the radio, to which the reply was “I am the instructor”….

Quoted:

ERAU is in the league of MIT when it comes to engineering. And is highly regarded by employers.
View Quote

You are either a Riddle Rat trying to justify how much you spent, family or friend of a Riddle Rat, somebody who believes ERAU’s marketing department, or just clueless to compare ERAU to MIT.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I wouldn't recommend them for anybody.  Way overpriced.  For aerospace/aeronautical technology/engineering degrees, I'd look elsewhere.  And for getting flight time/ratings, I'd also look elsewhere (insert shameless plug for Bowling Green St Univ here).
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend them for anybody.  Way overpriced.  For aerospace/aeronautical technology/engineering degrees, I'd look elsewhere.  And for getting flight time/ratings, I'd also look elsewhere (insert shameless plug for Bowling Green St Univ here).
View Quote

Listen guys, whatever you do, do not lower yourself down to BGSU...have some dignity!

But seriously, there are lots of better engineering schools out there that I'd go to before ERAU.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As somebody who is occasionally forced to fly into DAB, the ERAU flight training program isn’t what people make it out to be.  I have had them cut me off on an approach after they were instructed to stay out of the Charlie, fly out to the shoreline and then turn the wrong direction and fly directly at me, enter a hold on the non protected side and cause me to break off an approach, and turn at me and block a taxiway when they couldn’t figure out ground was telling them to pass behind me.  I have even heard ATC tell them to put the instructor on the radio, to which the reply was “I am the instructor”….

You are either a Riddle Rat trying to justify how much you spent, family or friend of a Riddle Rat, somebody who believes ERAU’s marketing department, or just clueless to compare ERAU to MIT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ERAU is in the league of MIT when it comes to engineering. And is highly regarded by employers.

Did a Riddle alum sleep with your wife or something?
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My kid is staying at Adams hall. They stuffed 3 kids in that tiny dorm room but they seem to be getting along. He had nearly a ringside seat for the SpaceX  launch last week. If that doesn't motivate
I don't know what will
View Quote

Lol. You should have seen McKay where I lived.  It was torn down a few years ago.  It was set up like an old ratty motel and they stuck 3 freshman into each room.

Good memories of shenanigans there though.  

Watched the Space X launch from the tower parking lot, it was an impressive one.  The launches never get old.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, yeah I’ve heard the “this is the instructor” line a few times.  Most of the instructors are last semester’s students.

You see stuff here in ATC you’ll never deal with elsewhere.

Safest place in our airspace is about 2 miles or more offshore. They won’t go out there (except for the DA42s) but the other flight schools will.

Ask for Mike Delta next time you fly through if you want to say hi.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's well known that ERAU is the "Harvard of the skies".
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I might not be of much help but I just wanted to chime in and agree with all the comments on how expensive it is. I went to a community college first (aircraft mechanic), got on with a major airline through experience, and now I'm going back online through ERAU using some company tuition reimbursement. You might want to consider alternate paths from the norm. I got into a good company with way less spent on school than some of my coworkers, and we all follow the same pay scale.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:51:42 AM EDT
[#29]
If his goal is to become a professional pilot then ER is a waste of money. Airlines don't care where people graduate from. Pick a smaller, far cheaper state school and get the same degree. Minimize school debt as much as possible. The degree and certificates will be the same in the end. If he's going for aeronautical engineering or the likes then I'm all out of advice as that was never my thing. But there's gotta but something cheaper than ER that's still highly respected.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He and his mom are on the way to Daytona Beach now. He has already been accepted and offered scholarships to study Aero Engineering.  The only thing that makes me nervous is that he's never been the type of kid that eats and sleeps airplanes.  No posters, no models hanging from the ceiling. He has taken summer flight camps and engineering classes at the local Vo-Tech during his soph/junior years I just don't seem him as an airplane nut (a car nut for sure). Schoolwork has always been easy for him but I figured he's going to have to step it away up in College. Either way I wish his USAF Lt. Col Grandad was around to see this.

OK..so those of you that have been to Embry-Riddle..what did you think?
View Quote

Ask them about the riddle of steel!
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Just heard that DBPD arrested someone threatening to shoot up the place.

Everything is going to shit anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#32]
First semester in the bag and he's on the honor roll. So dug into the 529 for semester 2. Need More scholarships lol!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top