User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

She did a stupid thing.  I don't think that means that your stupid.  But you're free to judge people however you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She obviously knew it was illegal, but she thought she wouldn't get caught.  There are cameras everywhere.

Then she is not just a "Fuck you, I'll do what I want" type.  She is stupid to boot.

She did a stupid thing.  I don't think that means that your stupid.  But you're free to judge people however you want.

Well, she won't be flying legally anymore.  

Of course, if she had actually been flying legally, she wouldn't have to fly illegally from now on.

I judge aviators based on their actions and demonstrated judgement.  You are free to judge them on anything you want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I flew under a bridge once.  But I did it legally.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Of course, if she had actually been flying legally, she wouldn't have to fly illegally from now on.

I judge aviators based on their actions and demonstrated judgement.  You are free to judge them on anything you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She obviously knew it was illegal, but she thought she wouldn't get caught.  There are cameras everywhere.

Then she is not just a "Fuck you, I'll do what I want" type.  She is stupid to boot.

Lol  She's flying legally right now.  When she retests and gets her certificate back, she'll be able to fly legally by herself, too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In this thread you can tell who has flown under the Baghdad swords and who hasn't.
View Quote
You better post pics!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol  She's flying legally right now.  When she retests and gets her certificate back, she'll be able to fly legally by herself, too.
View Quote

Revocations last a year so she won't be turning off her transponder(and then claiming that it must have been a previous landing that day that caused it to temporarily "fail") and flying under more bridges until someone signs her off for solo sometime in 2022.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Revocations last a year so she won't be turning off her transponder(and then claiming that it must have been a previous landing that day that caused it to temporarily "fail") and flying under more bridges until someone signs her off for solo sometime in 2022.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think she retests in December, but she can fly all she wants, as long as there's a pilot in the other seat.  She knows a few, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The weird thing is they threw the book at her over the transponder issue, not the flying under the bridge part. When I first saw the article I figured it would that 978 UAT would have malfunctioned and revealed herself when she thought she was anonymous. Even when running in anonymous mode, my tailbeacon occasionally sends my tail number. My guess is that maybe the humidity down here confuses what it’s getting from the transponder because my old Xaon traffic thing used to report traffic 1/4 mile away when I was near clouds. At the same time my tailbeacon tattles on me, ADS-B TIS gives me an alert.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I got called on making a wrong turn leaving an airport (left instead of right). It was the fault of multiple controllers (clearance controller corrected me for saying “right turn” by saying “heading xxx, not a right turn, heading xxx”, then the departure controller gave me the turn without a direction. I turned left). The conversation with the AOPA lawyer (AOPA legal is an investment every pilot should make) said that the FAA has a compliance vs enforcement stance these days and is more forgiving of mistakes than in the past. He also said if they think you’re bullshitting them, they’ll break it off in you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In this thread you can tell who has flown under the Baghdad swords and who hasn't.
View Quote

I think maybe folks don't realize that there are a lot -- a majority, at least -- of pilots who have done something stupid that required poor judgment at some point in their flying careers.  Stupid decisions that they, fortunately, survived, and which informed and improved their judgment/decisionmaking from that point forward. Sometimes that is reflected in a black mark on their record (everything from busted checkrides to more serious stuff like groundings, investigations, FENAB/FEBs, etc), and sometimes it is just a "there I was" story.

Anyone who has been involved in airline interviewing knows there are black marks on lots of records.  People just don't generally talk about those black marks in public, and thus there's this misperception about who is squeaky clean sitting in an ivory tower (few) and who isn't (most),
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get yah a new one out of Taiwan, no sweat.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If she does something that turns this into a killdozer-type event with airplanes, I'm ok with it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
People have been flying under bridges since planes were invented. You just have to do it with style. Here's the 'Aluminum Falcon' flying under the Deception Pass bridge in WA. Thats a pretty gnarly passage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
People have been flying under bridges since planes were invented. You just have to do it with style. Here's the 'Aluminum Falcon' flying under the Deception Pass bridge in WA. Thats a pretty gnarly passage.
https://lonelyplanetwpnews.imgix.net/2017/12/Deception-Pass.jpg
View Quote

Snicker!
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
At least she wasnt flying under tram cables in the Alps.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/marine-jet-severs-ski-lift-cable-in-italy
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I've flown an Airbus under the bridge that crosses the Mississippi at Memphis.on the full motion sim at FedEx.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 8:49:49 PM EDT
[#16]
They finally installed cameras  at the STL arch, took all the fun out of side trips under the arch
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can't feel sorry for her. She knew it was wrong, but did it anyway.

Then again, like others have said, good for her!
View Quote

Pretty much this. She new it and determined it was worth it. Good for her. Glad no one was hurt or structure hit. Calculated risk and she will be still be fine and I bet ….. flying
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I wonder which way she went.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve never heard of her before.
Google says she was a Fed and then wrote for Flying mag...Did she ever do anything exemplary?
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Google says she was a Fed and then wrote for Flying mag...Did she ever do anything exemplary?
View Quote

She’s a Woman.  The “iT” woman of the Sky.   Like Emilia Earhart.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.  She's local to me, with a highly recognizable name, so aside from the magazine gig, her fame diminishes outward from here.  She did A LOT of check rides, so she was a fed that people had a lot of contact with.  And, she is a VERY nice person.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top