BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 22
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would guys really rather be on the street with zero pay and zero benefits rather than making less money under a shit deal?
View Quote

The problem is two-fold.

First, the ratcheting effect of negotiation under stress. So anything bad immediately triggers concessions, but good times restrict us under the RLA to often a multi-year negotiations.

Second, I'd rather be furloughed (as I have been multiple times) then have my status reduced to less than a contractor, where I'm on the hook to the company, but unable to do any other job.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The problem is two-fold.

First, the ratcheting effect of negotiation under stress. So anything bad immediately triggers concessions, but good times restrict us under the RLA to often a multi-year negotiations.

Second, I'd rather be furloughed (as I have been multiple times) then have my status reduced to less than a contractor, where I'm on the hook to the company, but unable to do any other job.

View Quote

SO MUCH TRUTH!!!!

This man understands the real fight. The corporate criminals at my outfit have managed to delay our contract for 8 years!!!!!

The RLA is an evil scam.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll wager that a majority of those below the furlough line would be on board with the mitigation measures.  The problem will be "everyone else".

I'm not sure about D, but UAL and AA are still working under their bankruptcy contracts, most people I know believe another bankruptcy is all but certain for us.  Everyone who has ridden that ride before, and still walks funny understands whats coming, and no one wants to give up anything before hand.

Management has proven time and time again they cant be trusted, if I understand correctly, getting the UAL guys back to "normal" is tied to 2019 economic performance levels.  Creative airline accounting will insure that's a decade away, or more.  Not to mention that post bankruptcy, I'll wager the big three are smaller by several thousand pilots each.

In my 32 years of 121 flying, it's been one crisis after another, giveback after giveback to try and save something.  The airline from bankruptcy, our pensions, etc.  It's never worked, ever.  And the only thing we got "back" was better hourly pay rates.

It's all but certain that after 22 years here, 17 of that as a narrow body fo,  I'll be headed back to the right seat of a narrow body, most likely commuting again.  I can't find anything positive about agreeing to reduce my own monthly hours, once I'm back in the right seat.  

I feel for everyone about to get furloughed, I really do.  But we all signed on to a seniority system, and thats the risks of being junior.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

SO MUCH TRUTH!!!!

This man understands the real fight. The corporate criminals at my outfit have managed to delay our contract for 8 years!!!!!

The RLA is an evil scam.
View Quote

ALPA really needs to have a Single Carrier come to Jesus moment. Either Single Carrier matters, or ALPA doesn't matter. Its really that simple. We also need to dictate the legal requirements that will underpin that definition.

AMR is maintaining four seniority lists, Atlas 3 (?), Delta 2, Alaska 2, and those are the ones off the top of my head.

The fact that ALPA has allowed this become a de facto negation of one of the prime elements of the RLA is terrible.

ETA:

We need a single national seniority list for EVERY 121 carrier, even the non-union/non-ALPA ones. If those carriers won't or can't play ball, you will be stapled in a furlough, if you're even recognized as bargaining entity.

We need to have a strong legal determination that the RLA clearly calls for one carrier/one craft/one list/one contract. Its EASY to determine who the beneficial owner/controlling entity is of Horizon, Polar or Piedmont.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I was talking to my Dad yesterday, who retired from AA in March after 35 years, about airline shit.

He told me "You know, Im glad Im on the outside looking in on this garbage".
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience says....

Always protect the captain's seat, because everybody else's pay, hinges off of that (and I was never a captain).  And, never give the company anything, because you will never get it back (not in the next 10 years, anyway).
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My experience says....

Always protect the captain's seat, because everybody else's pay, hinges off of that (and I was never a captain).  And, never give the company anything, because you will never get it back (not in the next 10 years, anyway).
View Quote

Honestly, I can't agree with that, because that is what gave us the RJ replacing the NB.

Goals should be 1) pay (either soft or hard, including retirement contribution) 2) schedule flexibility and 3) benefit direct cost should be the only things a contract should manage. If management wants to fly a Piper Cub or the Spruce Goose, here is the pay rate.

Anyone who gave up anything for a pension after Pan Am/Eastern/TWA all sailed down that road had what was coming to them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Thinking about it, if I were a United Pilot, I would agree to the provision on one contingent.

The end of all Scope allowed turbine flying at United. Here are our 50 and 70 seat pay rates.

DisorientedPilot, don't hate me, bro!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thinking about it, if I were a United Pilot, I would agree to the provision on one contingent.

The end of all Scope allowed turbine flying at United. Here are our 50 and 70 seat pay rates.

View Quote

The regionals need to die one way or another. Yes, that includes the 170. Its a regional jet if its got a regional paycheck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
because that is what gave us the RJ replacing the NB.
View Quote

Thanks, DALPA! Can't possibly have those little things on property flown by double-breasted blazer-wearers!
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Right on.

The regionals -- at least in terms of the FFD model -- need to die.

There will always be smaller markets that the majors don't want to service and who will be flown by smaller airlines....but the sub-contracting of mainline flying should be against every labor contract in the industry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I agree with you here.  

To be clear, I wasn't advocating in favor of any of the reduced-hours-in-lieu-of-furlough programs, I was expressing surprise at the widely differing reaction to them among the various pilot groups when they weren't available (usually favorably seen) and now when they are being offered (almost unanimously negatively seen judging by the internet).
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]
It sure looked like it was going to recover, but Dems allowed more shut down.  I missed a peak on DAL and LUV stock I held.  Luckily it hit that peak again for a few moments and it dumped.

I really wanted to hold it for a year, but there is so much damage, I didn't want to stress over the risk.

Shit sucks.  I disliked flying before, after a lifetime of it.  There is no way I will wear a mask to sit on an airplane, and you can bet there are plenty like me.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks, DALPA! Can't possibly have those little things on property flown by double-breasted blazer-wearers!
View Quote

Agreed. But, just for the record...

The UA MEC allowed Aspen/Air Wis -146 in the mid-1980s as a "code share."

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There will always be smaller markets that the majors don't want to service and who will be flown by smaller airlines....but the sub-contracting of mainline flying should be against every labor contract in the industry.
View Quote

The answer to this is a federal regulation for slots.

You want to fly from EWR to FLL at prime slot time? OK, here is your route authorization to Rock Springs, WY and Pueblo, CO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah, I agree with you here.  

To be clear, I wasn't advocating in favor of any of the reduced-hours-in-lieu-of-furlough programs, I was expressing surprise at the widely differing reaction to them among the various pilot groups when they weren't available (usually favorably seen) and now when they are being offered (almost unanimously negatively seen judging by the internet).
View Quote

I'll be honest, I can see the tactical desirability, but it was DisorientedPilot that argued to me pretty convincingly the opposite. I stole his argument pretty much wholesale.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would guys really rather be on the street with zero pay and zero benefits rather than making less money under a shit deal temporarily?
View Quote

Lots of our guys on the bubble are on FB/various boards saying don't cut the contract.  They want to return to a contract that they don't have to dig out of for years on end.  If we end up in bankruptcy, then we're up shit creek either way.  Supposedly the proposed cuts saved less than 5 days of liquidity.  

Quoted:
The RLA is an evil scam.
View Quote

100%.  The fact that we're under the RLA is beyond ridiculous.  

Quoted:

AMR is maintaining four seniority lists, Atlas 3 (?), Delta 2, Alaska 2, and those are the ones off the top of my head.
View Quote

At DAL, in the last few years, I'v flown with DAL, NWA, Republic, North Central, Western and Pan-Am guys.

Quoted:
We need a single national seniority list for EVERY 121 carrier, even the non-union/non-ALPA ones. If those carriers won't or can't play ball, you will be stapled in a furlough, if you're even recognized as bargaining entity.

We need to have a strong legal determination that the RLA clearly calls for one carrier/one craft/one list/one contract. Its EASY to determine who the beneficial owner/controlling entity is of Horizon, Polar or Piedmont.
View Quote

A national list sounds good in theory, just not sure how that would pan out.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ALPA really needs to have a Single Carrier come to Jesus moment. Either Single Carrier matters, or ALPA doesn't matter. Its really that simple. We also need to dictate the legal requirements that will underpin that definition.

The fact that ALPA has allowed this become a de facto negation of one of the prime elements of the RLA is terrible.

ETA:

View Quote

If we had a national seniority list for every carrier, in your opinion, would a pilot have displacement rights at carrier X if carrier Y went out of business? Additionally, if I'm a SWA captain with 25 years of seniority could I bid 350 captain at Delta? I'm not trying to start an argument just curious as to how you would envision a single list playing out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Another note.  Part time pilot policies are not in the best interest of the company when times are good... or they would already exist.
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Honestly, I can't agree with that, because that is what gave us the RJ replacing the NB.

Goals should be 1) pay (either soft or hard, including retirement contribution) 2) schedule flexibility and 3) benefit direct cost should be the only things a contract should manage. If management wants to fly a Piper Cub or the Spruce Goose, here is the pay rate.

Anyone who gave up anything for a pension after Pan Am/Eastern/TWA all sailed down that road had what was coming to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My experience says....

The bottom line is most if not all of these companies will go chapter 11. It will take burning through some cash, but they will do it. They will not project that, they will say the opposite for the investors all while lining up the ducks to file ch 11.

You can give the company 35% pay rate cuts, reduce the monthly hours, freeze your pension, and give away work rules trying to keep the company out of bankruptcy and furloughs and they will still spend 1 million dollars on a gay pride float for a parade while you are giving up everything and then they go CH 11 and will petition the judge for more concessions and the judge will grant those concessions and the 35%, and frozen pension, and loss of work rules will turn into cuts of 48.3% pay rates, less hours, turning over the retirement to the PBGC, and even worse work rules and there is nothing you can do about it because the concessions you give before CH 11 don't count in the yes of the court. The baseline is what was in the contract the day the company files and then the court will extract from that baseline. And then management will give themselves multi-million dollar bonuses and big pay pay raises for saving the company while you work for years under the concessions forced on to you by the court.

Its like SEER SERE school. You need to understand you don't control what they do to you, or when they file CH 11, you have no influence on it at all, all you have is a contract that will get thrown out by the court, so the answer is to give up nothing and keep what you have till the day the company files and then take the lumps from the court.

There is no such thing as an iron clad no furlough clause.  there is always Force Majeure and Circumstances Beyond the Company's Control. They have teams of lawyers, sure ALPA has a few lawyers, but they are always outmatched. Because of the RLA there is no leverage.

Keep what you have, give up nothing because you have no control over what the company is going to do or not do. And you will get screwed by the CH 11 court because they choose where to file and when and the whole legal point of CH 11 is to not pay bills and to reduce costs, and pilots are a cost and retirees are a bill. Go into CH 11 with as much as you can by giving up nothing before hand and then the court will take their pound of flesh like they do for all the creditors and contracts. If you give up a pound of flesh before CH11, you will give up another pound of flesh in ch 11.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:25:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From polling my UA buddies, its mixed but most junior guys I know are opposed to the deal.  They want the ability to go after a full time job, not have some weird part time gig that keeps them from being marketable anywhere else.

I dont have much of a sample size for the senior guys.  

Plus there is some angst against the senior guys for not retiring, but thats normal
View Quote

Are they able to take a leave of absence?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If we had a national seniority list for every carrier, in your opinion, would a pilot have displacement rights at carrier X if carrier Y went out of business? Additionally, if I'm a SWA captain with 25 years of seniority could I bid 350 captain at Delta? I'm not trying to start an argument just curious as to how you would envision a single list playing out.
View Quote

On my phone, so I’ll flesh this out later...it’s more of a follow flying ability than a land grab.

You can always fence for a period of 5 years to ensure no training bubbles, etc.

The ultimate point to remove, incremental our total tie to our employers. It ultimately kills our leverage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm solidly in the bottom third at UAL (about 500 numbers from the bottom) and a 50% cut to MPG would be 36.5 hours.  On second year pay that's about $4,500 gross per month.

I appreciate the efforts of the Union and Company to try to mitigate furloughs, but my concern is that if this comes to fruition I am still technically not furloughed (and as such, may see landing class to regain currency, CQ, etc.) so how do I make up the difference while honoring my commitment to United?  In other words, I need to put United first as my primary employer, but will still need a job - preferably a flying one - and how would I balance the two.  

Guess this is all hypothetical until the MEC votes on it and it goes to the pilot group.

In the meantime, I am shotgunning resumes out everywhere and trying to make contact with folks I used to manage at my old job to try and make inroads elsewhere.  Not getting a whole lot of positive results thusfar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Good news!  My last remaining pt 91 flight school buddy who was at Trans States, Great Lakes, and others got on with Atlas!

I am pretty sure he will stay there.
View Quote

Nice. A good friend of mine starts whale school there real soon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Republic LOA passes with better than 90% voting yes. The details include those that would have been furloughed remain on property but reduced to 32.5 hours at 10 days of duty per month. All benefits are still in place. Would be downgrades maintain four stripes but with 45 hours guarantee. LOA expires March 1st and we go back to 75 hours for all.

We will have none of our active pilot group on the street. Unfortunately, I don’t think this applies to the cadets that were going through training at the time.

Just hope the company doesn’t try and pull a fast one come March and try to make this permanent
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good news!  My last remaining pt 91 flight school buddy who was at Trans States, Great Lakes, and others got on with Atlas!

I am pretty sure he will stay there.
View Quote

When a Laker gets a real job, an angel gets his wings.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When a Laker gets a real job, an angel gets his wings.
View Quote

Both of my Laker friends are now working for the FAA...not sure if that's a coincidence or not lol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Both of my Laker friends are now working for the FAA...not sure if that's a coincidence or not lol.
View Quote

At one point the Lakes POI was a former Lakes B190 CA...it was the opposite of regulatory capture, as he knew where all the bodies were buried.

Funny thing was that Lakes ran a reasonable organization if not a profitable company, as opposed to another organization in the Denver area that shall remain nameless.

Sadly, one is still in business, and one is not.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As is one of mine.  I wasn't a Lakes guy... but I was that era.  

Out of all my serious flight school buddies that made it to 121, one is at frontier now, one at Atlas, and one a really cool fed.  The rest have moved on
View Quote

Aviation has been an ROI black hole since 1946.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Funny thing was that Lakes ran a reasonable organization if not a profitable company, as opposed to another organization in the Denver that shall remain nameless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Funny thing was that Lakes ran a reasonable organization if not a profitable company, as opposed to another organization in the Denver that shall remain nameless.

Ya man, I heard the same.  I don't know much about them other than when I was in college circa early 2000s, their first year pay was 13,500, when ever other regional was 21k.  

Quoted:
My career has followed an almost PCS process of changes every three years, even in the same companies.  It has served to remind me that flying planes for a living wage with decent QOL is far more satisfying than most other work.

Word!  I feel very fortunate wrt to my ROI in this career, better lucky than good.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Odds that there is airline bailout "money" thrown at everyone by 1OCT?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Odds that there is airline bailout "money" thrown at everyone by 1OCT?
View Quote

Low before RBG died.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
SERE, man.

Additionally, there is no A or B plan to strip these days.  Personally, I wonder about the longevity of at least one mainline carrier.

Good post.
View Quote

6 out of 5 pilots are dyslexic and the others can't spell
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Link

CHICAGO (Reuters) - United Airlines  has agreed to delay the effective date of pilot furloughs until Oct. 30 while union members vote on a broader deal that would protect some 2,850 jobs for months longer.

However, pilots will not be paid during the month of October if that deal does not pass, according to a memorandum of understanding between United and the union representing its 13,000 pilots that was seen by Reuters.

"Our pilots are voting right now on a tentative agreement that, if approved, would avoid all pilot furloughs for at least nine months," United spokesman Frank Benenati said on Wednesday. He noted that the company continues to push for an extension of federal payroll support.

If lawmakers fail to agree to extend $25 billion in payroll aid for airlines this month, tens of thousands of employees are set to be furloughed on Oct. 1.

Delta Air Lines  agreed with its pilots to delay furloughs until Nov. 1, the union said on Monday, but will continue to pay them in October even without an extension of $25 billion in payroll support for airlines.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, I know it is supposed to be about doom and gloom, but Purple announced last night that they're hiring 845 new pilots in the next 18-ish months.

The attached posting, System Bid 20-01, is being published to fill 341 widebody CAP vacancies, 38 narrowbody CAP vacancies, 423 widebody F/O vacancies and 45 narrowbody F/O vacancies. System Bid 20-01 opens today, Friday, September 25th and will close at 1400z on Friday, October 9th.

System Bid 20-01 is based on the current projected system lift requirements. As the Operation continues to adapt to the current business environment, there remains the possibility for further adjustments. In the meantime, the bid reflects the following considerations:

Anticipated pilot retirements and system form adjustments (system-wide pilot retirements are projected to continue at roughly 150-200 per year)
   Scheduled aircraft deliveries and retirements (see Fleet Plan below)
   Expanded International flying on B777

Hiring
This bid will create unfilled vacancies in most widebody aircraft that will allow new hires to be spread over multiple equipment types. With a need to hire over 845 pilots in the next 16-20 months, the opportunities to advance in seniority and/or seat position should be readily apparent.

Domicile Plans

MEM will experience growth primarily on the 767 and 777.
   The ANC MD11 base will remain at current levels. MEM MD11 will see Captains remaining at current levels while 60 First Officer positions will be added. LAX MD11 Captains and First Officers will start backfilling when more than 10 pilots bid to other crew positions.
   The IND base will grow by 16 Captains and 20 First Officers as we move the current EWR-CDG ETOPS routing to the base. Jun’21 is the planned move to IND.
   No significant changes are anticipated in the CGN or HKG FDA’s. The posted vacancies are for current shortages and replacements.
   The MEM Airbus will add positions to cover upcoming retirements.
View Quote
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top