That letter is dated 2019. 
View Quote

True, but COVID wasnt 2019.....I think it was a misstype, lol

New article on it
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Another 36th street operator bites the dust.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By xciapup:
Not bitter at all.  Very content being in a merit-based system and very happy to talk to any pilot who is thinking about getting into a life that is happy, healthy and offers an alternative to a seniority based system in an industry that goes bankrupt every 10 years.  The fact is you dont have a reliable retirement plan if you have an airline pension.  Now is the perfect time to chart another course.  And if you are honest, you know dang well the guy I described is pretty common.
View Quote

I am listening.

What do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By CFII:
Avianca is bankrupt. 
View Quote

Avianca has been sailing in brown water before COVID with multiple labor actions, and a national government that was looking for options to scale it to sustainability.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Has any major US airline announced for a fact that it'll be furloughing yet?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Vne:
Has any major US airline announced for a fact that it'll be furloughing yet?
View Quote

I think United has stated the closest to that fact.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Alaska has a reduction bid of 240 pilots, 120 A320 captains and 120 A320 FOs.  Parking 19 A319/320s indefinitely.  No official furlough announcement, but it’s easy to read between the lines.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
The strategies are interesting.  United seems pretty public with their “plans.”  As that displacement bid isn’t a real displacement bid yet with no training plan.  It’s like a kinda maybe bid.  

Delta, American, SWA, etc are all pretty quiet and I believe intentionally out of the news.  

Who’s strategy is better and why is United making so many waves?
View Quote

Im a little biased as I work for United, but I believe they’re trying to tell it like it is and not sugarcoat anything. I for one am appreciative of it.

It’s ugly out there, and will be for quite a while. Just hoping I can make the cut...
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#12]

True, but COVID wasnt 2019.....I think it was a misstype, lol

New article on it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kekoa:

That letter is dated 2019. 

True, but COVID wasnt 2019.....I think it was a misstype, lol

New article on it

He probably started drafting the letter in ‘19.     Funny..but a decidedly unfunny situation.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#13]
No one expects international flying to return in quantity for 12-16 months.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#14]

I think United has stated the closest to that fact.
View All Quotes

I think United has stated the closest to that fact.

Interesting. For some reason I was thinking SWA was about to do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I took June off too. It’s fun staying at home, growing a beard, working on my property, and getting credit hours to do it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The regional I’m at parked about 90 aircraft. 175’s, 145’s, and 140’s. All 175’s and 145’s will be back in service by June 3rd.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 1BMF:
The regional I’m at parked about 90 aircraft. 175’s, 145’s, and 140’s. All 175’s and 145’s will be back in service by June 3rd.
View Quote

I just read that. Im hoping that means Piedmont will have some more flying soon...
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]
SWA rescinded all job offers; everyone was originally told they would be honored whenever classes run in the future. I know it's awful in the airline world, and I wish everyone of you and your airlines the best! Thankful to still have a good job.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KingAirDriver:
SWA rescinded all job offers; everyone was originally told they would be honored whenever classes run in the future. I know it's awful in the airline world, and I wish everyone of you and your airlines the best! Thankful to still have a good job.
View Quote

Thats kinda trashy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:48:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Thats kinda trashy.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 8:46:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I know guys who won’t be off probation at the big 3 on 1 Oct.  

They tell me there really isn’t any guarantee the company has to bring them back.
View Quote

That’s the big reason that I’m limiting my VLOA to 90 days, and I plan to be back in late July. Anyone that’s out on VLOA on 1 Oct is taking a massive gamble. As soon as you go on VLOA, you show as an inactive employee. Per our RIF rules, inactive employees are first on the pink slip line, regardless of one’s seniority.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I took June off too. It’s fun staying at home, growing a beard, working on my property, and getting credit hours to do it.
View Quote

I just hope we all have jobs at the end of it. And then how rusty are we going to be going back? This will officially be the longest I’ve ever gone without flying in the last 19 years.

I took off May and June and now I’m regretting taking a voluntary two months as opposed to just the one. However, the task of commuting to and from Newark was becoming intolerable and my airline wasn’t exactly understanding about it.

Pros and cons I guess....
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

I just hope we all have jobs at the end of it. And then how rusty are we going to be going back? This will officially be the longest I’ve ever gone without flying in the last 19 years. 

I took off May and June and now I’m regretting taking a voluntary two months as opposed to just the one. However, the task of commuting to and from Newark was becoming intolerable and my airline wasn’t exactly understanding about it.

Pros and cons I guess....
View Quote

I'm on mil leave right now, but my company has been reasonable regarding commuting clauses and the like.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By switchtanks:

I just hope we all have jobs at the end of it. And then how rusty are we going to be going back? This will officially be the longest I’ve ever gone without flying in the last 19 years. 

I took off May and June and now I’m regretting taking a voluntary two months as opposed to just the one. However, the task of commuting to and from Newark was becoming intolerable and my airline wasn’t exactly understanding about it.

Pros and cons I guess....
View Quote

True. Im going to suck when I get back. My commuting possibilities have dried up, but I think they are going to get a bit better soon.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#26]
An interesting Indicator, and you guys know how pessimistic I am...

Link Posted: 5/13/2020 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]
SWA rescinded all job offers; everyone was originally told they would be honored whenever classes run in the future. I know it's awful in the airline world, and I wish everyone of you and your airlines the best! Thankful to still have a good job.
View Quote

That sucks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

That sucks but I’m glad you still have a job.   The timing was fortuitous when you think of it.    I honestly think SWA will honor their offer when the time comes, perhaps unofficially.  Keep all documentation and contacts.   It could be a long, long time, however.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
An interesting Indicator, and you guys know how pessimistic I am...

View Quote

I’ve seen a slight increase in loads.   Granted, it’s not much, but it’s something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks, guys. SWA is definitely where I want to be, and I'm hoping there will be a way forward in the future, whenever it might be!
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kfs35:

That sucks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kfs35:

That sucks.

indeed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

I’ve seen a slight increase in loads.   Granted, it’s not much, but it’s something.
View Quote

We're still reporting the core airports down 70 percent
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks, guys. SWA is definitely where I want to be, and I'm hoping there will be a way forward in the future, whenever it might be!
View Quote

As a consumer I'm a fan of SWA

Professionally I'm indifferent but they are easy to work with.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Shoot me a PM, there's a backstory as to why this happened.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Ooof.

The hits keep on coming:

8C850D36-74A6-43E0-9F4E-6CE5A91EF2F4 by Austin Scott, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 12:47:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Ooof. 

The hits keep on coming:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49894203708_0e56a4c9f6_c.jpg8C850D36-74A6-43E0-9F4E-6CE5A91EF2F4 by Austin Scott, on Flickr
View Quote

Yeah, I just spent an hour updating my displacement bid. We'll see what happens next. This is shaping up to be the biggest furlough in the history of aviation. Far, far bigger than after 9/11.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Yeah, I just spent an hour updating my displacement bid. We'll see what happens next. This is shaping up to be the biggest furlough in the history of aviation. Far, far bigger than after 9/11.
View Quote

This is going to be brutal. We landed in SFO last week and were the only plane on tower(combined ground) frequency, the next arrival was 25 minutes later. I'm not sure any pilot at any carrier can be so cavalier as to think they wont be affected.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Does AA still have a flowback provision in their contract?  I know they've flowed from Envoy and I presume the other wholly owned, but don't know if this provision is till there to go back.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#41]
From a video interview today, Boeing CEO is predicting 25% return in Oct and 50% by end of year, two plus years to 2019 levels.
View Quote

Time will tell how these predictions turn out.  I can make my own as well but at the end of the day - it and what happens will likely be off.  All I know Is this is a giant shit sandwich and we all have to take a bite.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#43]

True, we don’t have much certainty other than it’s bad. Yet I’m not going to sit around and wait for the sandwich to arrive. I have a very morbid fascination with times like this. You get to see what people are fucking made of.  I have seen it before.   

In addition, politics, the SEC, and idiots on TV say a lot of things.  The numbers AAL, DAL, UAL, etc post for furlough, recovery, etc. are actual numbers.  I find them useful to weight and put into a wild ass statistical analysis.  It’s fun to see how right everyones predictions were and what can be learned from them for future decisions. I did the same on my past two furloughs in another industry.  

In my company there are some really optimistic folks, where it will be 80% at end of year.  Yet they have no data.  Others are gloom and doom, waiting for the axe.  Boeing I’m sure has at least one guy who is a stats and data guy that compiles info.  Just like I look at a weather chart and gauge to get add gas, they have guys who do that for the airline biz.  How truthful their CEO was or if the interview was scripted, who knows?  Interesting to me and others.
View Quote

I told my wife that we need to take a wait and see approach. I think the last time I looked, I was approximately 1/2 up the company seniority list, and in the top 33% seniority in my department. Supposedly there is going to be an early retirement and a voluntary separation package coming out on 20 May. I don’t foresee getting the axe, but it’s very likely that before the end of the year, I’ll be back on midnight shift. Should that happen, I’ll bite the bullet and apply for the next LAMT position in my department, and hang out till the recovery is done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#45]
ExpressJet 380 Capt downgrades 1 July.  Out of 1400 total guys?  Dunno.
View Quote

Man, I really dont want to be a regional FO again...
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Air Whiskey just put out a bid for 125  181 Captain downgrades.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Man, I really dont want to be a regional FO again...
View Quote

In these times, better to be a working FO than unemployed CA.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top