User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
[Bump to keep this from going to the archive]

The weather here in the NW has been crappy, so yesterday was my first flight in a few weeks. The WX was not looking good, but we went out anyway and did some pattern work. Flew to an airport about 15 miles south of us and did a few loops in the pattern until the clouds chased us home. Finished at home with 4 more laps in the pattern. The instructor is all good for me to go solo, just need to build my confidence to venture away from the airfield on my own. I think my lack of it is more tied to the crappy weather than anything at this point. Next calm-ish day that comes around, I'll head on out on my own.

His parting words yesterday was that I landing well every time. The student he was out with prior to me has been doing solo work and it took him a few tries to get the plane on the ground in yesterday's weather. So, that does a lot for my confidence.

I'd appreciate stories of your first solo away from home base.
View Quote
@PLammer- Good to read you're still in the game.

My first solo away from the home field was a non-event. I had already soloed at the home 'drome and was still on that high when we went to another field about 23 miles away that we had been to on several occasions. After the first landing, my CFI hopped out and said "do 3 and pick me up".
The sneaky fucker had endorsed my logbook while he was "reviewing it" on the way there and he endorsed me to do solo landings there after I did the 3 solo landings.

The first solo is the one that matters- all the rest are just landing practice without dead weight on the right side.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The weather here in the NW has been crappy, so yesterday was my first flight in a few weeks. The WX was not looking good, but we went out anyway and did some pattern work. Flew to an airport about 15 miles south of us and did a few loops in the pattern until the clouds chased us home. Finished at home with 4 more laps in the pattern. The instructor is all good for me to go solo, just need to build my confidence to venture away from the airfield on my own. I think my lack of it is more tied to the crappy weather than anything at this point. Next calm-ish day that comes around, I'll head on out on my own.

His parting words yesterday was that I landing well every time. The student he was out with prior to me has been doing solo work and it took him a few tries to get the plane on the ground in yesterday's weather. So, that does a lot for my confidence.

View Quote
If you have soloed before and are just looking for your first solo at a new field, look at it this way.  Every runway is the same runway on short final.  They all have different terrain around them, etc.  But flying the pattern by the numbers is the same at every one.  I'm sure some more experienced pilots will offer their perspective on this.

Although that being said some terrain around airport have me flying a little bit higher than the numbers on base.  (And I'm only in the midwest!)

The real fun starts on your solo XC's!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I need to get moving on IFR.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think I understand now.  The flight would be your first solo from home airport to another airport?  Is the concern that you are now adding a short leg (airport to airport) to the flight?

If so it's the same and your CFI being there with his arms folded and not talking.  

You have done all of this basically by yourself before.  Now you just have to do it really by yourself.  It takes a bit of a leap of faith on your part, but you are ready for it!

Am I understanding this correctly?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think I understand now.  The flight would be your first solo from home airport to another airport?  Is the concern that you are now adding a short leg (airport to airport) to the flight?

If so it's the same and your CFI being there with his arms folded and not talking.  

You have done all of this basically by yourself before.  Now you just have to do it really by yourself.  It takes a bit of a leap of faith on your part, but you are ready for it!

Am I understanding this correctly?
View Quote
Yes, I’ve tooled around home base but haven’t left the nest. That’s what’s next is to go out and conquer ;-). The leap of faith is what I’m stuck on now, well and the weather. The key thing right now is the self doubt thing. I have two instructors telling me to go yet there is a voice in my head saying ‘no’.  It’s the “just fucking do it” moment. You all have been there ahead of me, it’s my turn to go. Now all I need is a not too crappy weather day and to leap out of the nest.

It’s really down to this, do my long XC and then make sure everything is clean and then check ride. I’m on the slow boat, but the end is in sight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes, I’ve tooled around home base but haven’t left the nest. That’s what’s next is to go out and conquer ;-). The leap of faith is what I’m stuck on now, well and the weather. The key thing right now is the self doubt thing. I have two instructors telling me to go yet there is a voice in my head saying ‘no’.  It’s the “just fucking do it” moment. You all have been there ahead of me, it’s my turn to go. Now all I need is a not too crappy weather day and to leap out of the nest.

It’s really down to this, do my long XC and then make sure everything is clean and then check ride. I’m on the slow boat, but the end is in sight.
View Quote
Ah... I musunderstood.
If you have 2 experienced CFI's telling you to go- GO!

Quit being a chickenshit (except for weather- especially thunderstorms. Then its OK to be a chickenshit)

It ain't like you're gonna get lost with all the electronic gizmos available in the plane and even on your phone.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
My first solo XC was the second time I flew solo. I went to the FBO to have my CFI approve my flight plan (KMSN to KRFD) and then to the ramp.  It was surreal walking up to the airplane alone, getting into it, and reaching over to shut the door.

When I was climbing out I was not able to reach planned cruise altitude because of a scattered layer (I had not yet figured out it was okay and fun to fly around clouds).  I hit a bump that was one of those that really gets your attention.  I half debated turning around but stuck to the flight plan. It was a great flight and very important learning experience.

Know that there might be moments of doubt, but plan the flight and fly it. You can do this!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ah... I musunderstood.

Quit being a chickenshit (except for weather- especially thunderstorms. Then its OK to be a chickenshit)

It ain't like you're gonna get lost with all the electronic gizmos available in the plane and even on your phone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah... I musunderstood.

Spot on. It's the chickenshit that's holding me back (and weather) I have no other excuses, not even getting lost. I've been around this area so long, and the terrain here is quite unique, so I could lose all avionics and still make it home fine.

Quoted:
Quoted:

My first solo XC was the second time I flew solo. I went to the FBO to have my CFI approve my flight plan (KMSN to KRFD) and then to the ramp.  It was surreal walking up to the airplane alone, getting into it, and reaching over to shut the door.

When I was climbing out I was not able to reach planned cruise altitude because of a scattered layer (I had not yet figured out it was okay and fun to fly around clouds).  I hit a bump that was one of those that really gets your attention.  I half debated turning around but stuck to the flight plan. It was a great flight and very important learning experience.

Know that there might be moments of doubt, but plan the flight and fly it. You can do this!  
As of today, I'm bringing my headset with me to work every day (My office happens to be in the FBO I fly out of). I'll jump on it the first day the weather looks calm and my CFI is available to give the go. Thanks for the good words guys.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Spot on. It's the chickenshit that's holding me back (and weather) I have no other excuses, not even getting lost. I've been around this area so long, and the terrain here is quite unique, so I could lose all avionics and still make it home fine.

As of today, I'm bringing my headset with me to work every day (My office happens to be in the FBO I fly out of). I'll jump on it the first day the weather looks calm and my CFI is available to give the go. Thanks for the good words guys.
View Quote
What exactly is causing the anxiety?  If you can identify that then rationalize it away.  Is it crosswinds, bumps, landing, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What exactly is causing the anxiety?  If you can identify that then rationalize it away.  Is it crosswinds, bumps, landing, etc.?
View Quote
Fear of the unknown, screwing up, etc. The usual cold feet stuff when faced with something new. Given a decent WX day, nothing that I should pay attention to. Rationally I know this, emotionally it's there. Just a matter of sucking it up and doing it like the rest of you have done before me. I'm stuck in the waiting game because of the weather, so I have too much time to think about it

I've got a good number of hours under my belt and looking back there are only two moments that were 'scary'. One was getting knocked around the day I posted about not long ago, weather that I will not be soloing in. The second was thinking I was going to go off runway landing on a small field on a day with a strong side wind, also something I will not be doing solo. And, I recovered that fine so it was a non issue in the end. So, it comes down to quit thinking and just do it. If only I could listen to my own advice. :)
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fear of the unknown, screwing up, etc. The usual cold feet stuff when faced with something new. Given a decent WX day, nothing that I should pay attention to. Rationally I know this, emotionally it's there. Just a matter of sucking it up and doing it like the rest of you have done before me. I'm stuck in the waiting game because of the weather, so I have too much time to think about it

I've got a good number of hours under my belt and looking back there are only two moments that were 'scary'. One was getting knocked around the day I posted about not long ago, weather that I will not be soloing in. The second was thinking I was going to go off runway landing on a small field on a day with a strong side wind, also something I will not be doing solo. And, I recovered that fine so it was a non issue in the end. So, it comes down to quit thinking and just do it. If only I could listen to my own advice. :)
View Quote
Every flight there will be unknowns you will have to deal with. Just like driving to work.

And listen to ATC live so you know that even the pros have to ask questions and sometimes screw things up. As long as things are caught quickly and everyone seems to go on with their day.

BTW, you do know that this will be fun right?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BTW, you do know that this will be fun right?  
View Quote
I seriously laughed out loud at that. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it, then I was 'oh yeah, it will!' So, thanks for the reminder. I'll focus my thinking on that instead thinking of being anxious.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I seriously laughed out loud at that. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it, then I was 'oh yeah, it will!' So, thanks for the reminder. I'll focus my thinking on that instead thinking of being anxious.
View Quote

On a serious note, we are both still new at this. It is probably normal that we are experiencing a bit more stress or anxiety before a flight than someone with 8,000 hours.

Whenever I feel that way (particularly before a longer flight, to new airports under Class B, with gusty winds, etc.) it melts right away as soon as I sit in the cockpit and get to work. Then it becomes a real sense of satisfaction and, by the time I am on final, I can’t wait for my next flight.

Which reminds me, I haven’t flown in a month.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#14]
@PLammer, if it's any help, we all get the jitters, even the graybeards with 30,000 hours.

For example, I'm gonna be flying a Piper Seneca tomorrow, one of the bone simplest twins extant, but I haven't flown one in about 7 years, so I've been poring over the POH.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about the flight, but I know it will all fade away when I push the throttles up for that first take-off.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

On a serious note, we are both still new at this. It is probably normal that we are experiencing a bit more stress or anxiety before a flight than someone with 8,000 hours.

Whenever I feel that way (particularly before a longer flight, to new airports under Class B, with gusty winds, etc.) it melts right away as soon as I sit in the cockpit and get to work. Then it becomes a real sense of satisfaction and, by the time I am on final, I can’t wait for my next flight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I look back to when I started racing motorcycles, I was a bundle of nerves before each race. Over the years, it was no big deal. Same thing the first time I went to a range so many years ago, then over time it too was nothing. Just need hours under the belt and perspective will change.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@PLammer, if it's any help, we all get the jitters, even the graybeards with 30,000 hours.

For example, I'm gonna be flying a Piper Seneca tomorrow, one of the bone simplest twins extant, but I haven't flown one in about 7 years, so I've been poring over the POH.

Yes, I'm a bit concerned about the flight, but I know it will all fade away when I push the throttles up for that first take-off.
View Quote
Good points, and yes it does help!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#17]
@mscout118, @PLammer- what's going on with your training?

Don't leave the thread to die...
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m not either of those guys, but I’m in about the same boat so I’ll jump in to help keep the thread alive.

I am also a student pilot, with about 35 total hours.  First 7 were in a Sport Cub, then switched to a 1948 model PA-12 for the rest.  I started in September, and it’s been a real slow grind due to Minnesota weather in fall and winter.  Between the wind, the cold, runway closures due to snow/ice, and the sun going down at 4pm, about 3 out of every 4 lessons get cancelled.  I book 4 days per week, but I’m pretty happy to get 1 in, and it’s been a while since I had a week with two flying days.  Most of November was a washout, and January hasn’t been much better.  I wanted to start in the summer, but the instructor was booked solid so I had to wait.  I feel like I’m making good progress, and the instructor says everything is good.  I did my first solo at 17 hours, and have been out by myself 3 more times since then, just local flights practicing pattern work and maneuvers in the practice area.

Last Monday, I did the long (152 miles) XC with the instructor.  We flew from our little rural grass field to a decent sized class D, then to a smaller hard
surface non-towered airport, then back home.  Everything went perfectly; paper chart navigation, radio comms, and all of the flying parts.  I feel like I have a good handle on the plane, and am able to make good landings pretty consistently.

The plan was for me to make that same flight solo on the next lesson, but since then the next 6 in a row have been cancelled.  Last week it was high winds, and this week it’s dead calm but low ceilings making it IFR or marginal VFR at best.  I have another lesson scheduled for tomorrow, but it looks like another IFR day, so pretty sure it won’t work out.  I am going out of town for 11 days on Saturday morning, so I guess it will have to wait until after I get back, which bums me out bigly.

Hopefully I remember how to get the plane started when I get back!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I’m not either of those guys, but I’m in about the same boat so I’ll jump in to help keep the thread alive.

I am also a student pilot, with about 35 total hours.  First 7 were in a Sport Cub, then switched to a 1948 model PA-12 for the rest.  I started in September, and it’s been a real slow grind due to Minnesota weather in fall and winter.  Between the wind, the cold, runway closures due to snow/ice, and the sun going down at 4pm, about 3 out of every 4 lessons get cancelled.  I book 4 days per week, but I’m pretty happy to get 1 in, and it’s been a while since I had a week with two flying days.  Most of November was a washout, and January hasn’t been much better.  I wanted to start in the summer, but the instructor was booked solid so I had to wait.  I feel like I’m making good progress, and the instructor says everything is good.  I did my first solo at 17 hours, and have been out by myself 3 more times since then, just local flights practicing pattern work and maneuvers in the practice area.

Last Monday, I did the long (152 miles) XC with the instructor.  We flew from our little rural grass field to a decent sized class D, then to a smaller hard
surface non-towered airport, then back home.  Everything went perfectly; paper chart navigation, radio comms, and all of the flying parts.  I feel like I have a good handle on the plane, and am able to make good landings pretty consistently.

The plan was for me to make that same flight solo on the next lesson, but since then the next 6 in a row have been cancelled.  Last week it was high winds, and this week it’s dead calm but low ceilings making it IFR or marginal VFR at best.  I have another lesson scheduled for tomorrow, but it looks like another IFR day, so pretty sure it won’t work out.  I am going out of town for 11 days on Saturday morning, so I guess it will have to wait until after I get back, which bums me out bigly.

Hopefully I remember how to get the plane started when I get back!
View Quote
Welcome to the addiction!

I like the PA12- nice, solid flying taildragger. Flew one a bunch in Alaska.

Take your headset with you and do a dual flight while you're outta town, even if it's in a different type.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Welcome to the addiction!

I like the PA nice; solid flying taildragger. Flew one a bunch in Alaska.

Take your headset with you and do a dual flight while you're outta town, even if it's in a different type.
View Quote
erud keep at it!  Where are you flying out of in MN and what D did you go to on your long XC?

And FB41 good suggestion on out of town flight lesson.  I will be in AK next summer, maybe I should bring my headset and paperwork...?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:40:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m flying out of Stanton Airfield KSYN, and we flew to Eau Claire KEAU on the cross country.  I’ve also been to Flying Cloud class D to practice tower comms.

I’d love to fly when I’m down in AZ, but I don’t think it’s in the cards on this trip.  Wife and I are going down so I can shoot the Southwest Nationals Long Range match.  I’ll be shooting for 5 of our 7 days down there, so if I suggest I’m going to go flying on one of the two days we are free, I’ll probably be driving home alone!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m flying out of Stanton Airfield KSYN, and we flew to Eau Claire KEAU on the cross country.  I’ve also been to Flying Cloud class D to practice tower comms.

I’d love to fly when I’m down in AZ, but I don’t think it’s in the cards on this trip.  Wife and I are going down so I can shoot the Southwest Nationals Long Range match.  I’ll be shooting for 5 of our 7 days down there, so if I suggest I’m going to go flying on one of the two days we are free, I’ll probably be driving home alone!
View Quote
I hear there is a great BBQ restaurant at KEAU.  I’ve been meaning to go up there for lunch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a scheduled flight on Monday. Haven’t been up since my surgery on Dec 11th. CFI said we will do a few laps in the pattern to get rust off. I’m pumped! Getting ready to start my structured studying. So far it’s been sporadic
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I hear there is a great BBQ restaurant at KEAU.  I’ve been meaning to go up there for lunch.
View Quote
Interesting.  I do like me some BBQ,  I’ll have to check that out some time.

As expected, it’s another IFR day here, so 7th cancellation in a row.  I booked the PA-12 for 2 days after I get back from AZ to re-familiarize myself, hopefully I can do the solo XC shortly thereafter.  I did take my written exam this morning, so at least that part is out of the way.  No more practice tests!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I do like me some BBQ,  I’ll have to check that out some time.

As expected, it’s another IFR day here, so 7th cancellation in a row.  I booked the PA-12 for 2 days after I get back from AZ to re-familiarize myself, hopefully I can do the solo XC shortly thereafter.  I did take my written exam this morning, so at least that part is out of the way.  No more practice tests!
View Quote
Congrats on getting the written done. Checking boxes and getting closer!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

erud keep at it!  Where are you flying out of in MN and what D did you go to on your long XC?

And FB41 good suggestion on out of town flight lesson.  I will be in AK next summer, maybe I should bring my headset and paperwork...?
View Quote
You'd be foolish not to.

I enjoyed flying in AK more than anywhere I've been.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@mscout118, @PLammer- what's going on with your training?

Don't leave the thread to die...
View Quote
I'm living the PNW dream, waiting for decent weather. Next lesson is tomorrow morning, hopefully tool around the field a few times then solo out to the practice area. Though, we have a big storm blowing in tonight, so we will see.

My CFI is also booked too solid, so I may jump to a different one. Ideally, I'd like to stick with this one and fly solo on the weekends and pick up lessons at lunch during the week, but that isn't looking ideal at this point.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You'd be foolish not to.

I enjoyed flying in AK more than anywhere I've been.
View Quote
We will be in the Denali Anchorage area. Know of any good flight schools?

We wanted to go on an flight tour. If I sit right seat maybe the whole family can be happy and dad can get some stick time?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We will be in the Denali Anchorage area. Know of any good flight schools?

We wanted to go on an flight tour. If I sit right seat maybe the whole family can be happy and dad can get some stick time?
View Quote
Fat chance of that happening.

Most of the flying I did was from Warbelow's in Fairbanks and with a friend in  his PA12.

Check out Land and Sea Aviation; I did a bit of seaplane flying with them when I spent a long weekend in Anchorage.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:05:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Fat chance of that happening.

Most of the flying I did was from Warbelow's in Fairbanks and with a friend in  his PA12.

Check out Land and Sea Aviation; I did a bit of seaplane flying with them when I spent a long weekend in Anchorage.
View Quote
There's no one up there with a six-seater willing to let a pilot sit right seat for some stick time (even if it is not loggable)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:03:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There's no one up there with a six-seater willing to let a pilot sit right seat for some stick time (even if it is not loggable)?
View Quote
There's plenty that will let you sit right seat, but chances of getting stick time is damned slim. Some of the air tour operators remove the controls from the right seat altogether.

On the off chance you did get stick time, what makes you think it wouldn't be loggable? You can log time in any aircraft. If you're not rated in it or have requisite endorsements (high performance, complex, etc), you just can't be (act as) pilot in command.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There's plenty that will let you sit right seat, but chances of getting stick time is damned slim. Some of the air tour operators remove the controls from the right seat altogether.

On the off chance you did get stick time, what makes you think it wouldn't be loggable? You can log time in any aircraft. If you're not rated in it or have requisite endorsements (high performance, complex, etc), you just can't be (act as) pilot in command.
View Quote
Yeah I was thinking the PIC would need to be a CFI.  But I’m a pilot, just likely not rated for the aircraft.

I should just find an FBO with an Archer or 172 and hook up with a local CFI.  Dual time never hurts particularly when flying in a new environment.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Unexpected lesson yesterday. My CFI is out for a week plus, so I'm in limbo at the moment. Yesterday turned out to be a phenomenal weather day and I was wishing I had a lesson lined up. When I checked email in the morning a CFI I know spammed a bunch of us saying he had an unplanned clear schedule for the day, so I decided to take a lesson with him. He's not out of the school I've been using, so new aircraft - a SportCruiser. I have to say, it's a really cool air frame. I figured the lesson would be more of me getting accustomed to something new than any real skill building. I told him that what I was hoping for out of the lesson was a pre solo check. My hope was to start with pattern work and go from there. The plane was different enough that I re-evaluated as we got started. Much more nimble than the 162, so I wanted to get acclimated first before attempting landings.

We flew out to the practice area for a warm up then headed back to the field to do the pattern work. It took some adapting to get everything clean, but that came around quick. After a few rounds, we went another smaller field for a couple of landings. Finally we went back to the practice area for some slow flight, stalls and the like. I had commented to him that on of my long term issues has been confidence in the aircraft which reared it's head being in this one for the first time. So, he had me do steep turns at 50 degrees then took the controls and showed me what the plane was capable of. Not true aerobatics, but you get the idea. That was a lot of fun and helped me out a ton.

All in all, an excellent day.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Back in the saddle!

CFI wanted to do a few laps with me to make sure I wasnt too rusty. After 3 TO&L's, he climbed out. I flew to our practice area and did some turns around a point and S-turns. Came back and flew the pattern 3 times and put the plane away feeling pretty good. I may fly Friday to a different airport. Feels good to be back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Good to hear guys!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good to hear guys!
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Have a 116 NM nighttime XC scheduled for Friday. This will fulfill my dual instruction hours. Of course we will still train dual but its nice to have some numbers behind me.

Im feeling confident but not cocky. Now I have to hit the books so I dont let my flying outpace my knowledge.

What did you guys do to maintain a good balance?
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Have a 116 NM nighttime XC scheduled for Friday. This will fulfill my dual instruction hours. Of course we will still train dual but its nice to have some numbers behind me.

Im feeling confident but not cocky. Now I have to hit the books so I dont let my flying outpace my knowledge.

What did you guys do to maintain a good balance?
View Quote
Have fun on the X-C- that's what it's for. FUN, disguised as flight training.

When I was training, I read the books every day. By the time of my PPL checkride, I had damn near memorized a 172 POH.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have fun on the X-C- that's what it's for. FUN, disguised as flight training.

When I was training, I read the books every day. By the time of my PPL checkride, I had damn near memorized a 172 POH.
View Quote
I agree that I put up memory lists and study material all around me in the month leading up to my checkride. You really do have to love it and completely immerse yourself in this.

Good for you for doing that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#41]
That's actually the photo for "airplane owner."

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Flew my 100 nm night flight last night. Went to 2 airfields and returned to base. Landings were good. It was a beautiful night and I’m looking forward to taking my wife up on a night like this. Heck, I still love the view and I’ve been in all types of aircraft all over the world

Going to fly again tomorrow and grind out some more pattern work.

Mscout
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Night flights with weather like you described:

Too bad they aren't the norm. Congrats, man- 1 step closer to the finish line!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 10:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Flew my 100 nm night flight last night. Went to 2 airfields and returned to base. Landings were good. It was a beautiful night and I’m looking forward to taking my wife up on a night like this. Heck, I still love the view and I’ve been in all types of aircraft all over the world

Going to fly again tomorrow and grind out some more pattern work.

Mscout
View Quote
Nice work!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Headed to the airfield now. Looks like max crosswinds!  Woohoo!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Headed to the airfield now. Looks like max crosswinds!  Woohoo!!!
View Quote
Saw your name in the log a couple of times when we flew. I’m something like 7 flights from my checkride if I can just get them knocked out...
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Saw your name in the log a couple of times when we flew. I’m something like 7 flights from my checkride if I can just get them knocked out...
View Quote
What airport? I used to fly out of HSV whenever I would go there for work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw where you flew yesterday. You left your sweater in the plane btw. Lol.

Get that check ride knocked out!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What airport? I used to fly out of HSV whenever I would go there for work.
View Quote
We fly out of Bessemer. KEKY
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We fly out of Bessemer. KEKY
View Quote
I flew into Bessemer when I was checking out in the TwinStar that used to be at HSV.

Is the FBO still run by the city? The ramp rats that were there weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer. They kept wanting to put avgas in a Jet-A airplane (the TwinStar has Austro diesel engines.), despite being told twice. I stayed at the airplane until they finally brought the correct fuel and watched while they fueled it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top