Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2017 10:56:25 PM EDT
I've been using it, on an Android, for about a year now. Us Android users are second class citizens, all the iOS users get the new features first. I've got it tethered to a GTX345 and am pretty much using all of the features except IFR stuff (I'm a helicopter pilot) and the logbook. I just started using the checklist features (although us Android folks can't share checklists, yet ) and love that feature a lot.

Anyhow, just throwing this thread out there to see if anyone wants to start a discussion of Garmin Pilot. There's really no Garmin Pilot specific forums out there, AFAIK.

Right now the only bug I've been experiencing is the occasional failure to fully render sectional charts during flight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't use it ,did look at it but have been using AVARE for about a year now.I like it and it's cost (free)

It is able to communicate with my L3 LYNX ADS-B and so far I've been well pleased with it as I'm VFR only
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I had tried Avare and didn't care for it. Too buggy, didn't like the UI, didn't like the way it rendered charts. But I stuck with it for a while during the short time they supported helicopter route charts because Garmin didn't on the Android. But once Garmin started supporting the heli charts on Android I went right back to Pilot. It does cost money, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to an hour of flight time. I continue to like it more and more. It's nice that it sync's in the cloud between my phone and tablet. That makes flight planning convenient when I just have the phone, and the phone is a nice backup to the tablet in the cockpit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm all in on ForeFlight mobile for iOS on my cellular iPad mini 4 with iPhone 6s as a backup.

I fly Army helicopters every weekday both IFR and VFR and pay for ForeFlight out my own pocket.

Basic Plus is tied with AmazonPrime as the best $100 I spend every year.

I've been using Garmin IFR GPS units for going on 10 years now.  My current aircraft has dual GNS430Ws.  I've always owned and loved Garmin hand held units and I'm sure Garmin Pilot is good and will only get better but for me, right now, nothing touches ForeFlight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try this...

https://www.iflygps.com/
View Quote
It looks very nice. Sadly, it will not interface with my GTX345 so that makes it a non-starter
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks very nice. Sadly, it will not interface with my GTX345 so that makes it a non-starter
View Quote
Yeah, here's what they say:

"At this time Garmin is not allowing others to access the ADS-B data from the 345. I believe they have only begun working with one other, but most are locked out. We remain in contact with them and if they change their position, we will gladly integrate with them.
Shane Woodson
Vice President | Adventure Pilot LLC. "

They do have a very compact USB port ADS-B dual receiver for $150 as another option, although I know it's not what you're looking for.

https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/ping-ads-b-for-ifly-700-520
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:06:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It's all I've ever used but I don't rely on it for anything other than basic VFR.  I refuse to use any more apple products than I have to so it works for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
G1000 count?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
G1000 count?
View Quote
Only if you've got a tablet running Pilot connected to it
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Only if you've got a tablet running Pilot connected to it
View Quote
No we have an account with forflight. I have been thinking about pilot for GA stuff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top