Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2017 4:50:28 PM EDT

Now I just gotta get a gig where the cash flows the opposite direction! Our chief instructor is out on vacation for a week, so my app will go in when she gets back. Fingers crossed, but either way, this is the realization of a life-long dream that I wasn't sure would ever materialize.

Life is good!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! I want to do my whirly bird add ons once I've got a pile of money sitting around.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, done!

CFI was one of the toughest nuts I ever had to crack.

Now They pay You to fly
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Woohoo!  Congrats!!!  
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Which airport do you fly out of?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
CFI-H = Bravest Instructors Ever. My hat is off to you!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
is -H for Helo?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is -H for Helo?
View Quote
Yes sir!

And I'm flying out of KCHD.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks! My wife agrees that us helo guys all have a screw (or ten) loose somewhere! She does enjoy flying though, and had a blast the one time I've taken her up. She's hoping for another flight soon, but we gotta recover from what training costs us first!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks! My wife agrees that us helo guys all have a screw (or ten) loose somewhere! She does enjoy flying though, and had a blast the one time I've taken her up. She's hoping for another flight soon, but we gotta recover from what training costs us first!
View Quote
Just got to get my written, Class 2 and checkride done for the Commercial-H. Happy to give amusement park rides to 300lb hambeasts, but doing that CFI-H stuff takes more courage and skill than I could hope to have! Again:

Speaking of wives: mine loves to fly, but has resisted learning. Current evil plan is "But, honey, those AME's aren't that great. What if I have the big one? You need to know how to get it close to the ground at least before crashing." And then hope she gets hooked
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice.

I have a cousin who took this path. He spent a couple years building his time as a CFI-H then made the jump to off shore flying in the Gulf.  I think he needed about 1000 hours of time doing that to make the next step.  He then did a stint as a pilot for a local news channel and then crossed into the medevac field.  Now flying buckets to put out fires.  Sounds like he has a lot of fun.

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats! Dual given will pay off in the long run so enjoy the ride
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to tell passengers who were nervous that the reason they were nervous was that because in TV and movies, Helicopters always end up crashing and/or exploding.  And that's because in TV's and movies they always show helicopters doing stupid shit.  In fact, there is nothing to ever worry about, because everything they show on TV and in the movies regarding helicopters is always wrong.  

Except for showing helicopter pilots as being crazy.  That parts true.    Murdoch was my hero growing up.  

Congrats on passing.  

My advice is that every time you are flying with a student, constantly ask yourself "What's the one thing my student can do to kill me right now?"  And then protect against that.  It amazed me how often that one thing was what the student would do just seconds later.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#15]
My CFI was hard but staying alive for another 750 hours after was one of the hardest things I've had to do. Learning to keep my foot stiff on the left pedal with students doing autos was something I only let slip once.

Looking back it was a big hurdle for sure. Looking forward I never thought I'd say doing a 180 auto on a 135 checkride with NVG's attached to my head in dark as dark black with only a rotating search light for ambient would be easy but it actually is.

Congrats and good luck on the rest of your career, it's a hell of a ride full of all sorts of wonders and heartbreak.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you're looking for your first student, and since it's your first student you don't want to charge him, I'm your guy.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top