Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2017 4:12:08 PM EDT
Is it cool if I go out with my CFI once a month just to do Touch N Gos and/or just flying around?

Or is he going to hate me for it and make fun of me to everyone at the airport?

Just being curious.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, he won't hate you - he'll appreciate the money and logbook entry and you'll keep your head in the game.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope, he won't hate you - he'll appreciate the money and logbook entry and you'll keep your head in the game.
View Quote
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
CFIs react well to cash. Seriously though, if you're paying the guy you ought to look into a follow-up rating.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
CFIs react well to cash. Seriously though, if you're paying the guy you ought to look into a follow-up rating.
View Quote
I would have to get an actual rating first.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a student that wanted me to just sign off his solo indefinitely.  He was afraid of the written and check ride, he knew his stuff and was a very good pilot.  I finally pretty much refused to sign him off anymore and forced him to get a ppl.  I think your situation is a bit different tho.  If you splain it to him Im sure he wont mind.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a student that wanted me to just sign off his solo indefinitely.  He was afraid of the written and check ride, he knew his stuff and was a very good pilot.  I finally pretty much refused to sign him off anymore and forced him to get a ppl.  I think your situation is a bit different tho.  If you splain it to him Im sure he wont mind.
View Quote
Yep...a little.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Totally cool. I actually used to enjoy flying with those guys.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:00:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, you can do that.  You won't really progress doing 1x a month, but hey, it's still some flying.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, you can do that.  You won't really progress doing 1x a month, but hey, it's still some flying.
View Quote
I am more worried about regressing, but I really do like being in the air. That's the main driver behind it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
good to know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I started flight training for my ppl in 2010, but before I knew it the FAA pulled my student certificate (medical), so no solo, no ppl, etc.  But my CFI and I had hit it off and enjoyed each other's company, so I said how about we fly once every 4 - 6 weeks or so; just go someplace fun for lunch.  He was cool with that, so in the past several years we've hit most of the airport cafes in SoCal: Catalina, Big Bear, Camarillo, Chino, French Valley, Flabob (check out the approach to that place on YouTube), Borrego, Calexico, Palm Springs and lots more.  He said he enjoyed doing this more relaxed kind of flying, and still found things I could work on to improve my skills.  So we ended up taking turns picking up the check, which was nice too.

When I had my medical issue with the FAA he said I could probably beat it, but they were requesting reams of documentation, primarily for various medications that I had been on years before but no longer took.  Every time we flew on one of these lunch runs I thought to myself, this is the kind of flying I would be doing if I had my ppl.  But it was so good to know that if something came up (and they did), I wouldn't have to be figuring it out by myself.  As an old retired guy I'm fine with continuing like this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I know a lot of people say you have to fly every week but it is possible to get a PPL flying every 2-3 weeks or even once a month.  That is what I did.  

I started my PPL 9/23/1989 and took my test on 9/8/1990 including the check ride I had exactly 60 hours.   That included a total of 54 flights so average about 1 per week but that is not what really happened.

I flew most of the year every 2-3 weeks with some gaps of almost a month.  When the weather was good I flew more.   The month before the test I had all the requirements out of the way and flew 15 hours just doing test prep while waiting for my exam date.   It is possible to stretch it out and not regress but I imagine it depends some on the individual.

I have often thought if I ever get in a health situation where I can't fly or can't find a friend to go with I would just pay an instructor to go with me once a month or so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it cool if I go out with my CFI once a month just to do Touch N Gos and/or just flying around?
View Quote

Isn't that just called flight training?

That's how it felt to me :)

Of course I'd always try for a friday afternoon slot so we could go for a few beers afterwards.
Funny thing I noticed. He was an incredible pilot, but driving his jeep? OMFG! He was one of the worst drivers I've ever ridden with, and that even includes comparing his driving to my asian wifes scary driving!
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a cfii and get your wings wet in actual IMC. Good training. Or do spin training. Keep learning new things.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I had one guy who had taken lessons somewhere else, but didn't have a logbook.  

He was very good, better than any private pilot and most commercial pilots.  We used to have a good time doing power off landing competitions and such.    I always wondered if he was in the witness protection program or something.   I never asked.  Didn't wanna know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top