[#2]
Quoted:
Line mechanic.

For who?
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A&P mechanic for a regional airline working overnight hangar maintenance on emb 135/140/145 and crj 700

Where ya located?  

Bentonville.
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A&P mechanic for a regional airline working overnight hangar maintenance on emb 135/140/145 and crj 700

Where ya located?  

Bentonville.

Not to hijack the thread but, have you been to Crystal Bridge museum yet Planenutok?

Link Posted: 1/30/2012 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/30/2012 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a Gulfstream 550 Captain for a Fortune 50 company.  7000+ total time, all the countries, all the time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where ya located?  

Bentonville.

Not to hijack the thread but, have you been to Crystal Bridge museum yet Planenutok?

I have not made it out there yet. A few guys from work were talking about it the other day.

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#8]
In order of time logged in:

Link Posted: 1/31/2012 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
EMS helicopter pilot for 8 yrs full time

ENG heli for two local tv stations part time.

A&P/IA, but never use it anymore.

Realtor and CCW instructor as a backup.
Link Posted: 1/31/2012 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Sucks nuts.

Biggest mistake I ever made was not going AD. The opportunities to deploy are not what I thought they'd be, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Hope things are going well on your end.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sucks nuts.

Biggest mistake I ever made was not going AD. The opportunities to deploy are not what I thought they'd be, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

I assume you looked into going active, and I also assume your state wont let you?

Just sleep well knowing you fly the premier attack helicopter in the world............since OH58D's werent an option.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sucks nuts.

Looked at the 160th?
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 5:11:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I assume you looked into going active, and I also assume your state wont let you?

Just sleep well knowing you fly the premier attack helicopter in the world............since OH58D's werent an option.

Yep, we can't do it. Not only will the NG not let me out, the AD side won't take me due to being overstrength.

And I wouldn't even fit in a 58!

Quoted:

Looked at the 160th?

That's the plan ultimately.
I have decent amount of experience with a couple deployments, but to be honest I just don't have the experience as an aviator to offer myself to them yet.

From what I've heard from my friends in it, it's hard work but they're always deployed, so it's worth it. I'm going to deploy again eventually, hit a few courses when I get back- and just when I feel confident I know what's going on, I'll try out there and find out I don't know shit.

Link Posted: 2/1/2012 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got a question for the heavy plane mech's out there and don't want to derail the thread, but are the big planes really that much different? no heavy exp seems to mean don't apply. Other than aircycle machines, constant speed drives and the parts are bigger, what?

Conversely, I've been turned away from a long list of corporate and light aircraft repair stations and shops, because all my experience is on heavies.

Its actually what forced me out of wrench-turning.
Link Posted: 2/1/2012 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Not a damn thing, anymore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm also a strength engineer.  I wonder if we know each other.  I worked on the F-18 project in the mechanisms group 30 days in 1992, otherwise I stay away from production programs.

We might... it's a small industry... if you've ever done work in interiors, maybe.  Before Boeing I worked for Jet Aviation doing Stress Analysis on interior mods... like Boeing a whole lot more...
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#18]
A&P for a major airline working on Rolls Royce RB211-534E4B and Trent 892-17 overhaul...almost 25 years in aviation and
almost twenty as a A&P.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a question for the heavy plane mech's out there and don't want to derail the thread, but are the big planes really that much different? no heavy exp seems to mean don't apply. Other than aircycle machines, constant speed drives and the parts are bigger, what?

Conversely, I've been turned away from a long list of corporate and light aircraft repair stations and shops, because all my experience is on heavies.

It's wierd.

Especially with Helo's.   It's almost impossible to get in helo's without helo experience.  Being  a structures mech./welder, I couldn't get in as a structures mech with  helo manufacturer, with 10 yrs structures experience and a very good contact within the company vouching for me and my skills as a structures mech, due to no helo experience.  Whether it be "banging rivets" and "bending tin"on a fixed wing or rotor wing aircraft, it's all the same. A print is a print, a rivet is rivet, sheetmetal is sheetmetal, no matter what aircraft.

I recently changed jobs from doing heavy maintenence on regionals, to working in a backshop for green, coporate aircraft.  To be honest, I actually like doing heavy maintenence better, but the corporate experience will help, and make my resume look better, hopefully helping futher my carrer in aviation.  

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#20]
10 years B-1B Crew Chief
4 years installing the Sniper Pod modification on B-1s for Boeing
Spent 2 weeks working for a company doing maintenance on CRJs, that was all the time I needed to decide civ maintenance was not for me.
Now an electronics technician on A-10 Flight Simulators (nice to go home clean for a change)

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Started out as a starving, traveling mechanic (Contract Maint)

Moved to a tiny little cargo outfit in Bloomington, IN working on DC-3, Convair 240, 340, and 440

Hired on at DAL in 1999 in overhaul, forced over to the line, forced over to package service visit, then kicked out in 2006.

Moved to OKC to do overhauls on DAL MD-88.

Recalled back to DAL in 2007 back to the line, and my happy ass ain't moving anywhere now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#22]
A&P for 25 years. Heavy turbine experience TFE, CFE, HTF, PT6, PW305, PW308. Worked for Honeywell, Garrett, Allied Signal, Hawker Beechcraft. Worked Cessna, Hawkers, Lears, Pipers. 20 plus factory schools! LOL just a mechanic!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
11 years B-2 Crew Chief
A&P June 2011
Labnial Inc. installing wiring harnesses on FalconJets June 2011 to Sept 2011
HawkerBeechcraft A&P in service center Sept 2011 to March 2012
DassaultFalcon A&P in service center Starting March 2012
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm an engineer in flight test at a rotorcraft company.  Have mostly worked on new military programs, but also some R&D projects, STCs, etc. I've been doing this for almost 10 years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's wierd.

Especially with Helo's.   It's almost impossible to get in helo's without helo experience.  Being  a structures mech./welder, I couldn't get in as a structures mech with  helo manufacturer, with 10 yrs structures experience and a very good contact within the company vouching for me and my skills as a structures mech, due to no helo experience.  Whether it be "banging rivets" and "bending tin"on a fixed wing or rotor wing aircraft, it's all the same. A print is a print, a rivet is rivet, sheetmetal is sheetmetal, no matter what aircraft.

I recently changed jobs from doing heavy maintenence on regionals, to working in a backshop for green, coporate aircraft.  To be honest, I actually like doing heavy maintenence better, but the corporate experience will help, and make my resume look better, hopefully helping futher my carrer in aviation.  

Over time, I started to suspect that helicopter mechanics are actually grown, like pod people, by the OEM, like in the matrix. They sure as hell don't hire from outside the existant labor pool. I tried.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's wierd.

Over time, I started to suspect that helicopter mechanics are actually grown, like pod people, by the OEM, like in the matrix. They sure as hell don't hire from outside the existant labor pool. I tried.

It's still all in who you know.  I've got two years working as an A&P at a Robbie service center and Eurocopter won't even send me a "no thanks" email.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
11 years B-2 Crew Chief
A&P June 2011
Labnial Inc. installing wiring harnesses on FalconJets June 2011 to Sept 2011
HawkerBeechcraft A&P in service center Sept 2011 to March 2012
DassaultFalcon A&P in service center Starting March 2012

Kinda cool knowing another ARFcommer is gonna be working in the same facility as I.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's wierd.

It's still all in who you know.  I've got two years working as an A&P at a Robbie service center and Eurocopter won't even send me a "no thanks" email.

I don't know, that's where I tried and knew a very good contact within the company. Notta.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I haul rubber dog doo out of Hong Kong.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#31]

I work for Boeing-St. Louis now.  I'm in St. Charles, but I spent most of my career around the B.64 complex.

lol... I'm at the Berkely campus in B.67... F/A-18 Final Assembly next to the delivery center.  So we aren't far from each other.  B.64... were you in the Virtual War Room at all?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Moved to a tiny little cargo outfit in Bloomington, IN working on DC-3, Convair 240, 340, and 440

Hired on at DAL in 1999 in overhaul, forced over to the line, forced over to package service visit, then kicked out in 2006.

Recalled back to DAL in 2007 back to the line, and my happy ass ain't moving anywhere now.

Did you work for Rhoades on the round engined airplanes?

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Flew for Oklahoma Forestry service during the 98-99 fire season building time

First real flying job flying Cessna Caravans in 99... at 19 years old

The got hired to fly Captain on the Shorts 330/360 that fall, and did that until shortly after 9/11

Flew the Van again for a few months in 2002

Got hired as a Convair 580 Captain in the fall of 02, but got diverted to be a Convair 240 instructor and check airman, got typed in the 580 shortly after and was a Captain and check airman on both airplanes. Finished up my stint there as Chief Pilot of our overseas operation flying the 580 from the Philippines to Vietnam.

Came back to the states in 2004 to fly the Shorts again as a Captain and check airman for a short time(note the pun...)

Got hired at my current job, was a 727 Captain from 2005-2010 then transitioned to the 757 where I fly today as a Captain and check airman. Well I say fly, I basically push buttons and make sure it doesn't do "that" again. I'm getting ready to go the sim to get trained to do CATII/III autoland then teach everybody else to do it... I mean what can go wrong there?!

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, P&W R2800.  I went to work clean, and left the hangar with my fingertips to my armpits black with Aeroshell 100.  Check the gas and fill the oil.

I left just as the Convair 600's and 640's were coming online.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, P&W R2800.  I went to work clean, and left the hangar with my fingertips to my armpits black with Aeroshell 100.  Check the gas and fill the oil.

Did you even know a pilot named Jim Whitsel? He was at Rhoades then came over to Air Tahoma when RDS parked the pistons. He taught me everything I know about radials and he's long retired now. I knew a bunch of Rhoades guys including Jack himself, and believe it or not they are still kicking!

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you even know a pilot named Jim Whitsel? He was at Rhoades then came over to Air Tahoma when RDS parked the pistons. He taught me everything I know about radials and he's long retired now. I knew a bunch of Rhoades guys including Jack himself, and believe it or not they are still kicking!

I never got to know any of the pilots.  I was only there for six months.  I know Rhoades as a company is still kicking, but I'm really surprised to hear that Jack is still alive.  He's gotta be pushing 100 by now.  Do you know a mechanic by the name of Nate Batton?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The majority of your rotor-wing guys, maintenance and pilots, get their start in the military. These guys make up a good percentage of the civilian rotor-wing industry and tend to hire people with similar backgrounds. I've known a couple guys, lucky enough that right out of A&P school they were hired by helicopter operators.

Being a rotor-wing guy, I had a similar problem trying to get my first fixed-wing job.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I have had to make the cross over from helicopter mechanic and flight engineer to civilian fixed wing pilot and mechanic. It took a lot of smooth talking. Its not easy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Major wing structure mechanic...777.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#41]
A good step forward in your fixed wing experience would be to work at an MRO like Mobile Aerospace or TIMCO.  Those places take anyone with a heartbeat and is a great place to get your commercial experience.

Quoted:

Quoted:

The majority of your rotor-wing guys, maintenance and pilots, get their start in the military. These guys make up a good percentage of the civilian rotor-wing industry and tend to hire people with similar backgrounds. I've known a couple guys, lucky enough that right out of A&P school they were hired by helicopter operators.

Being a rotor-wing guy, I had a similar problem trying to get my first fixed-wing job.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A good step forward in your fixed wing experience would be to work at an MRO like Mobile Aerospace or TIMCO.  Those places take anyone with a heartbeat and is a great place to get your commercial experience.
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip, but I'm sitting pretty good on fixed-wing experience now. In my quote above, I was referring to the 1992/1993 time frame when I was ETSing out of the Army. With only rotor-wing experience back then, it wasn't easy. I've got enough Part 121 time now as well as 91 where if I ever decided to go that route again some day (very doubtful) I would not have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I am an airplane-make-goer

<–– (I put this into your jets.)

Tips welcome

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hey Planenutok!

It's a small world....I'm a MTX QC Inspector at DFW for the same regional airline!  I'll bet there's lots of great places to shoot at in XNA.  In CMH I had a great place to shoot where I could back up as far as I wanted.  Before I left I was hitting 4" groups at 500 yards with a 24" AR.   Since I haven't found somewhere I can shoot that far here near DFW I've been doing a lot more pistol shooting and bought a Dillon XL650 to reload with after using a single stage RC for a number of years.  Anyhow...just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  I tried changing my username after I transferred back to DFW in 2008 but the moderators won't let me.  

Take care,

Mike
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I develop mathematical models and do software development for rotorcraft and tilt-rotor simulators.  Everything from avionics, environmental models, networking, instructor displays, software support, hardware/software integration, requirements development, testing, etc.  If the warfighter wants it in the simulator, I help make it happen.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Viper crew chief 00-06.  Been flying Vipers since 08.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I worked on the ramp at DTW throwing bags and pushing around 737s, from 2001 to 2005.  Joined the Marines,  worked in ARFF.  Great job, shitty place(29 Palms).  I had hopes of either staying in the FF business or becoming ATC in the civilian world.  Then I got hurt and those dreams are now dead.  But I still enjoy the industry.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 4:19:31 AM EDT
[#48]
DOM at CitationAir
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Radio personality

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Started out in the Army as a Black Hawk mechanic / enlisted crew-man.  Spent 4 years doing that.  Now I'm just starting my 5th year as a UH60 Pilot.  All of my Army flight time is Air Ambulance.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top