User Panel

Tacked Flying Books (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2011 9:53:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 10:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RVwannaB] [#1]
Fate is the Hunter by Ernest Gann

The Best Book I have ever read about aviation.  A must read for anyone with the aviation bug!

Ernest K. Gann’s classic memoir is an up-close and thrilling account of the treacherous early days of commercial aviation. In his inimitable style, Gann brings you right into the cockpit, recounting both the triumphs and terrors of pilots who flew when flying was anything but routine.

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason

Awesome book about one Huey pilot's tour in Vietnam...amazing book!

More than half a million copies of Chickenhawk have been sold since it was first published in 1983. Now with a new afterword by the author and photographs taken by him during the conflict, this straight-from-the-shoulder account tells the electrifying truth about the helicopter war in Vietnam. This is Robert Mason’s astounding personal story of men at war. A veteran of more than one thousand combat missions, Mason gives staggering descriptions that cut to the heart of the combat experience: the fear and belligerence, the quiet insights and raging madness, the lasting friendships and sudden death—the extreme emotions of a “chickenhawk” in constant danger.

Fighter Pilot by Christina Olds/Ed Rasimus/Robin Olds

Follows the career of a legend in the fighter pilot community.  A squadron commander at age 24...He became a double ace in WWII flying P-38s and P-51 and went on to get 4 more kills flying F-4s in Vietnam.  Many stories that he got more kills in Vietnam but wouldn't take credit because he knew he would be sent home as publicity stunt!  He is the reason we have mustache march!

Robin Olds was many things to many people. To his West Point football coach he was an All American destined for the National College Football Hall of Fame. To his P-38 and P-51 wartime squadrons in WWII he was the aggressive fighter pilot who made double ace and became their commander in nine short months. For the pioneers of the jet age, he was the wingman on the first jet demo team, a racer in the Thompson Trophy race, and the only U.S. exchange officer to command an RAF squadron. In the tabloid press he was the dashing flying hero who married the glamorous movie star. For the current crop of fighter pilots he is best known as the leader of the F-4 Wolfpack battling over North Vietnam. For cadets at the Air Force Academy he was a role model and mentor. He was all of those things and more.

Here’s Robin’s story in his own words and gleaned from the family and friends of his lifetime. Here’s the talent and learning, the passion and leadership, the love and disappointments of his life. Few men have written on the tablets of aviation history with such a broad and indelible brush. Olds was a classic hero with vices as well as virtues, a life writ large that impacted many.

Stranger to the Ground by Richard Bach

Follows a F-84 pilot trough a flight as the pilot reflects on why we fly.  Read it in a day!

A man  alone in the sky has a chance to touch the stars.  But as Richard Bach, flying a lone jet across  Europe, reaches for the eternal, he must also confront  the fear and danger that shadow the unknown.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick and Rudder: An Explanation of the Art of Flying, by Wolfgang Langewiesche

The Role of Defensive Persuit (1933), by General Claire Lee Chennault

Jonathan Livingston Seagull (1970), By Richard Bach

How We Invented the Airplane: an Illustrated History (1953), by Orville Wright & Fred Kelly
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the general FAA section LINK which contains a PDF and online versions http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/

Having said that I like having a hard copy that I can make notes in, etc.

Another good one is http://www.amazon.com/Private-Pilot-Manual-Jeppesen/dp/088487429X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303071686&sr=1-2

This is the textbook I'm using to study for my PPC.  I figure this will cover most everything I need for the written, oral and checkride in terms of straight knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]
From my collection

Pilots handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Airplane Flying handbook
Aviation Weather
Aviation Weather services
Instrument Flying Handbook
Instrument Procedures Handbook
Aviation Instructors Handbook
Jeppesen Inst/Commercial
Jeppesen Multi engine
Jeppesen Flight Instructor
Current FAR/AIM
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Placeholder for my collection once I get it unpacked.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Flight of Passage: A Memoir by Rinker Buck
In the Summer of 1966, Rinker and Kernahan Buck - two teenaged schoolboys from New Jersey - bought a dilapidated Piper Cub airplane for $300, rebuilt it, and piloted it on a record breaking flight across America - navigating all the way to California without a radio, because they couldn't afford one. Their trip retraced a mythical route flown by their father, Tom Buck, a brash, colorful ex-barnstormer who had lost a leg in a tragic air crash before his sons were born - but who so loved the adventure of flight that he taught his boys to fly before they could drive. The journey west, and the preparations for it, become a figurative and literal process of discovery; as the young men battle thunderstorms and wracking turbulence and encounter Arkansas rednecks, Texas cowboys, and the languid, romantic culture of smalltown cafes, cheap motels, and dusty landing strips of pre-Vietnam America. The brothers have a lot to resolve among themselves, too - as Kern, the meticulous, dedicated visionary; and Rinker, the rebellious second son, must finally come to understand and depend on each other in the complex way that only brothers can. Most of all, Flight of Passage is a timeless story of fathers and sons. These two young men must separate from their difficult, quirky father - literally by putting a country's distance between them - but they do it on their father's terms: in an airplane. As he looks back from the perspective of now being a father himself, Rinker Buck's tale of two young men in search of themselves and their country becomes a book about the eternal enigma of family - of the distance and closeness of generations, of peace lost so that understanding can be gained - and it is explored with a storytelling power that is both brave and rare.

Link Posted: 5/20/2011 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]

If you fly acro, or even if you don't.

"Roll Around a Point" by Duane Cole. 978-1560276272

Basic knowledge

"Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators" 978-1560271406

Large Aircraft Flying

"Handling the Big Jets" by Davies 978-0903083010

"Fly the Wing" by Webb and Walker 978-1560276272
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Chickenhawk is a great book! One of my favorites! How about:

More Than My Share Of It All by Kelly Johnson
Apache Sunrise by Jerome Boyle
Palace Cobra by Ed Rasimus
When Thunder Rolled by Ed Rasimus
Warthog by ???
The Night Stalkers by Micheal Durant

More to be posted as I remember em!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2011 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#10]
for any new pilots who will be working on their CFI, ASA put out a book called lesson plans.
the name is deceptive however.
its not lesson plans, however it has the elements but is more of teaching notes for flight lessons. great drawings for a whiteboard ground school on the subject areas.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Glacier Pilot by Beth Day.  Long out of print story of Bob Reeve.  His one man/one plane operation ended up as Reeve Alutian Airways (later bought by FedEx)
Air America and Ravens by Christopher Robbins.  AA was the book that the movie was based on...the book was MUCH better.  Ravens is the story of FAC's in Laos.
A Lonely Kind of War. Marshall Harrison.  OV10 FAC in Vietnam.
A Long Way Home.  Story of a Pan Am Clipper in the Pacific on December 7 1941
Anything by John Nance or Richard Bach.  Add Martin Cadin to the list also.

there'll be more

ka
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C17Driver] [#12]
I definitely agree on Chickenhawk, When Thunder Rolled, Fighter Pilot, & A Lonely Kind of War.  Great reads!
Also, check out:
Bury Us Upside Down by Rick Newman and Don Shepperd
Boyd by Robert Coram
Stuka Pilot  by Hans-Ulrich Rudel
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:44:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hercules] [#15]
Just finished, Fighting the Flying Circus by Eddie Rickenbacker

Great read about the evolution of American Fighter pilots.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 5:11:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeffman1911] [#16]
All non-fiction:

Skunk Works - Ben Rich.  FANTASTIC Skunk Works

Air Power - Stephen Budiansky. EXCELLENT

Flight - R.G. Grant (Smithsonian historical book). EXCELLENT, very detailed and greatly illustrated cumulative history of aviation.

Born to Fly - Shane Osborn.  Excellent account by the PIC of EP-3 midair'ed by the (a foolishly aggressive) Lt. Cdr. Wang Wei (RIP) in a J-8 Finback, and his successful emergency landing on the Chinese mainland, 1Apr01 Straightforward, simple, great book for younger aspiring pilots anyone who loves aviation.

The Wild Blue - Stephen Ambrose. Great WWII mostly-B-24 read, gritty; takes the glamour out of a romanticized piece of aviation history.

Flyboys - James Bradley (author of Flags of Our Fathers).  Great, on Pacific theater, includes George HW Bush's shoot down near Chichi-jima.

Return with Honor - Scott O'Grady.  Excellent account by the Viper guy shot down 2Jun95 by Rep. Srpska SA-6 Gainful, over Bosnia-Herzegovina and his successful SERE.  <- I have a signed copy

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#17]
Originally Posted By jeffman1911:
All non-fiction:

Skunk Works - Ben Rich.  FANTASTIC Skunk Works
Air Power - Stephen Budiansky. EXCELLENT

Flight - R.G. Grant (Smithsonian historical book). EXCELLENT, very detailed and greatly illustrated cumulative history of aviation.

Born to Fly - Shane Osborn.  Excellent account by the PIC of EP-3 midair'ed by the (a foolishly aggressive) Lt. Cdr. Wang Wei (RIP) in a J-8 Finback, and his successful emergency landing on the Chinese mainland, 1Apr01 Straightforward, simple, great book for younger aspiring pilots anyone who loves aviation.

The Wild Blue - Stephen Ambrose. Great WWII mostly-B-24 read, gritty; takes the glamour out of a romanticized piece of aviation history.

Flyboys - James Bradley (author of Flags of Our Fathers).  Great, on Pacific theater, includes George HW Bush's shoot down near Chichi-jima.

Return with Honor - Scott O'Grady.  Excellent account by the Viper guy shot down 2Jun95 by Rep. Srpska SA-6 Gainful, over Bosnia-Herzegovina and his successful SERE.  <- I have a signed copy

Total agreement.  Another eye-opener is 747: Creating the World's First Jumbo Jet and Other Adventures from a Life in Aviation by the Chief Engineer who led its release to production, Joe Sutter.

Something a little more 'exotic' if you will: Wingless Flight: The Lifting Body Story (NASA History Series SP-4220
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
another great:  Sea Harrier over the Falkands

be warned, rather critical of the Admiralty/Royal Navy

having read both this by Sharkey Ward and Admiral Woodward's book I'm inclined to agree with Sharkey
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:13:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Leave No Man Behind is an interesting history of combat search and rescue...pretty comprehensive too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:30:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#20]
Originally Posted By RVwannaB:.....................Fighter Pilot by Christina Olds/Ed Rasimus/Robin Olds

Follows the career of a legend in the fighter pilot community.  A squadron commander at age 24...He became a double ace in WWII flying P-38s and P-51 and went on to get 4 more kills flying F-4s in Vietnam.  Many stories that he got more kills in Vietnam but wouldn't take credit because he knew he would be sent home as publicity stunt!  He is the reason we have mustache march!

Robin Olds was many things to many people. To his West Point football coach he was an All American destined for the National College Football Hall of Fame. To his P-38 and P-51 wartime squadrons in WWII he was the aggressive fighter pilot who made double ace and became their commander in nine short months. For the pioneers of the jet age, he was the wingman on the first jet demo team, a racer in the Thompson Trophy race, and the only U.S. exchange officer to command an RAF squadron. In the tabloid press he was the dashing flying hero who married the glamorous movie star. For the current crop of fighter pilots he is best known as the leader of the F-4 Wolfpack battling over North Vietnam. For cadets at the Air Force Academy he was a role model and mentor. He was all of those things and more.

Here’s Robin’s story in his own words and gleaned from the family and friends of his lifetime. Here’s the talent and learning, the passion and leadership, the love and disappointments of his life. Few men have written on the tablets of aviation history with such a broad and indelible brush. Olds was a classic hero with vices as well as virtues, a life writ large that impacted many.

I ordered this off Amazon and finished it yesterday.

I give it 6 out of 5 stars
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 1:24:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelwarrior26] [#23]
Yeager! Chuck is the real deal. the few minutes I had to speak with him is a most cherished memory.   Bob Hoovers book was awsome too.  Red Ball in the sky by Charles Blair is simply awsome. and I am sure there are many more. I grew up an Airforce Brat and thank God everyday for those moments I was able to fly. looks like the sport utility catagory is were I am headed since I lost my medical.might not sound like much to some folks but it was a major kick in the teeth for me. thanks to a conversation with Mr Hoover I am able to put things in perspective.  God bless you all that know how special the gift of flight is.
ps "flying the old planes" by frank Tallman was one of my favorites. and  "the look of Eagles" by John Godfrey. oh and almost forgot "thirty seconds over tokyo" by Lawson. Baa Baa Blacksheep by boyington.
"thunderbolt" by Robert S Johnson.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
The book that sold me on flying in Alaska was "Bush Flying - The romance of the North. - Robert S. Grant"

These are some of my favorites to date:
The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles: More Adventures and Misadventures from the Big Empty - Mort D. Mason
Eye of the Viper: The making of an F-16 Pilot - Peter Aleshire
Those Remarkable Mooneys - Larry A. Ball
The Spirit of St. Louis - Lindbergh
Famous First Flights That Changed History - Lowell Thomas

One of my all-time favorites:
Sigh for a Merlin: Testing the Spitfire - Alex Henshaw

It's short but packed full of great information and I read it back to front in one sitting, twice in the same week.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#26]
How about great aviation fiction?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Check out "Alaska Justice" by M D Kincaid.  Not dedicated totally to flying but there's more in the book than you can shake a stick at.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
screechjet1 is right on the money with "fly the wing"... hands down the best advanced real world aviation book I've read.
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By danpass:

Check out Tom "Bear" Wilson's trilogy on the airwar over Vietnam, Termite Hill, Luckys Bridge, and Tango Uniform.. You can get them on Amazon, for a buck or two.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 5:48:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bounce19712] [#30]
SeaWolf 28 by Al Billings is a keeper...so is another Helo book by W.T. Grant...Wings of the Eagle: a Kingsmen story"

Kohn's War is a good P-38 book.

I really dug the flying portions in John ROss's book too.

Link Posted: 8/17/2013 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
" I could never be so lucky again " by jimmy Doolittle        

Diary letters by baron manfred Von Richthofen
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 6:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 7:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#33]
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#35]
"Forever Flying" by Bob Hoover
"Jet Age Test Pilot" by Tex Johnston
"I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" by James Doolittle
"Winging It" by Jack Jefford
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Into the Abyss by carol shaben

just started it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Basically i am not a professional pilot. But my friend was a professional pilot. I see he like to read this book ""Beyond The Blue Horizon" . I think it is really a good book for aviation.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#38]
What are other good books similar to Fighter Combat by Robert Shaw?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Stick and Rudder - Wolfgang Langewiesche
A Higher Call - Adam Makos
Fly for Fun - Bill Thomas
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:00:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Ragwings and Heavy Iron - Martin Caidin
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By danpass:
View Quote

I'm not going to claim anything close to "great aviation fiction", but I'm working on it.  I think a lot of folks here would enjoy my novel LOOKING DOWN ON THE MOON.
Basically its about a crippled missionary pilot in East Africa who winds up stealing a B-26K and working as a mercenary pilot in the Angolan civil war.

Lots of flying, lots of gun play.  I try to make both as realistic as possible and incorporate a lot of obscure/ forgotten old guns and old airplanes.

Thanks,

Charles T. Sage
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#42]
My apologies folks.  I feel like it was kind of pretentious to put my book up here.  Fact is a really good aviation read is found in Beryll Markham's WEST WITH THE NIGHT.  Awesome book about pioneering flying in Africa by a woman.  A real woman.  Not some woman with a rich publicist husband who got lost.  Beryll Markham was amazing and her book is well worth the read.  She hung out with the OUT OF AFRICA crowd and the Happy Valley Set. I wish more people knew about her, but she was overshadowed by the mystery of Amelia's disappearance.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 4:59:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RVwannaB:

The Best Book I have ever read about aviation.  A must read for anyone with the aviation bug!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RVwannaB:

Ernest K. Gann’s classic memoir is an up-close and thrilling account of the treacherous early days of commercial aviation. In his inimitable style, Gann brings you right into the cockpit, recounting both the triumphs and terrors of pilots who flew when flying was anything but routine.

My Dad recommended that one, said it was amazing. Still haven' made it there on my list. Others:

Flyboys by James Bradley (Flags of Our Fathers) -- Somebody else already mentioned it but it's a great read, so worth listing again. Parts of it will downright turn your stomach, though, if you have even an ounce of human compassion. Disturbing stories.

Wind, Sand, and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery -- My current read. Winner of the French National Book Award and named a National Geographic "Top Ten Adventure Book of All Time". I'm only a couple chapters in, but it's amazing so far. It's written by a French Air Mail (Aeropostale) pilot in the early days of aviation, describing what it was to fly back then. The writing describes the art of aviation in the most poetic way I've ever seen, and even only being a few chapters in some of the stories are unreal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Bushleaguepilot:
My apologies folks.  I feel like it was kind of pretentious to put my book up here.  Fact is a really good aviation read is found in Beryll Markham's WEST WITH THE NIGHT.  Awesome book about pioneering flying in Africa by a woman.  A real woman.  Not some woman with a rich publicist husband who got lost.  Beryll Markham was amazing and her book is well worth the read.  She hung out with the OUT OF AFRICA crowd and the Happy Valley Set. I wish more people knew about her, but she was overshadowed by the mystery of Amelia's disappearance.
View Quote

Not pretentious...sounds interesting!
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot is a great general info book on flying and breaks down the rules to plain English.   You can probably find it cheaper than Amazon though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Fate Is the Hunter, Ernest K. Gann.

One of the best books I've ever read.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#48]
i have all of gans books most not aircraft related they are all great .  as every pilots hero has  now flown west, getting Bob Hoovers  "Forever flying", is a must read. there were a bunch on amazon a few weeks ago for a buck ,now they are scarce and expensive.i hope his estate has the ability to have a new edition printed for all to enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#49]
The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight by Winston Groom
- Good read about 3 of the big aviation legends.  Good stories about the big things they did to advance aviation.

The Star of Africa: The Story of Hans Marseille, the Rogue Luftwaffe Ace Who Dominated the WWII Skies by Colin Heaton
- Excellent story of Hans Marseille and his short flying career with the Luftwaffe.  

American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day by Robert Coram
- Story of Bud Day.  Was the first commander of the Misty FACs in Vietnam, then was shot down and spent many years as a POW.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Just started Fate Is the Hunter....already love it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Tacked Flying Books (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top