Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one pipe.  Was planning on keeping it that way.... You sir, are a bad influence.    I did ask them via online chat if that first selection was part of the sale. Haven't heard back yet. I'll wind up buying a dozen of them just to have something else to do during this lockdown.  Thanks for the heads up, I think...
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a little diversion today. I bought a little Peterson Dunmore #77 on eBay and it was in the mail today. This is the smallest bent Peterson I’ve seen.  This one was in really nice shape, so I cleaned up the bowl and gave it a quick buff.

Before

After

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread is awesome.

I’ve only got one estate pipe, and it was in excellent shape when I picked it up (a Schultes bent Dublin) and all I did was a salt treatment, ran some pipe sweetener thru it and cleaned up the bit.

But now I’ve got a hankering to tackle a real resto.

Bad enough I’m now committed to screwing with some pipe mud and cobs
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread is awesome.

I’ve only got one estate pipe, and it was in excellent shape when I picked it up (a Schultes bent Dublin) and all I did was a salt treatment, ran some pipe sweetener thru it and cleaned up the bit.

But now I’ve got a hankering to tackle a real resto.

Bad enough I’m now committed to screwing with some pipe mud and cobs
View Quote

Post some pics of the Schultes!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Here’s the little vest pocket pipe all finished up. My wife did all of the work on the stummel except for the buffing. She’s really proud of it!

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's the little vest pocket pipe all finished up. My wife did all of the work on the stummel except for the buffing. She's really proud of it!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/C5FDB579-E992-4057-97A1-746108E2AE2E-1358310.jpg

View Quote
Such a cool pipe I'm jealous
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Such a cool pipe I'm jealous
View Quote

@rocky59

Here’s another one almost just like it from RNAtreasures for 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@rocky59

Here's another one almost just like it from RNAtreasures for 20 bucks.
View Quote
You sir are an enabler, bought it and some $5 project pipes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You sir are an enabler, bought it and some $5 project pipes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Just ordered a few of the $5 pipes. Can you use an oil based stain on pipes? Then just buff out with wax?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just ordered a few of the $5 pipes. Can you use an oil based stain on pipes? Then just buff out with wax?
View Quote

@williedikker72

My understanding is you shouldn’t use oil based stains on a pipe you are going to smoke. I use aniline powder dyes and dissolve them in denatured alcohol.  I use J. E. Moser dye I buy on amazon. A lot of folks buy Fiebing leather dye from vermontfreehand.com. I buy on amazon because my wife has an Amazon Visa and I use her amazon cash back to buy my pipe supplies on amazon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Apparently I’ve turned a perfectly good hobby into a job.

My buddy’s wife has seen some of the pipes I’ve done and she brought me her grandfather’s rack of 7 pipes and asked if I could restore them.  

Here’s the pipes and a really cool pipe rack he kept them in.

I’ve got most of them reamed and soaking with salt and alcohol, but this Dr. Grabow was basically just lightly smoked so I went ahead and finished it tonight.  

Hopefully my buddy will get some benefit from my hard work!
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Robert, those french billiard pipes on RNA treasures are $5 each.  They fixed the glitch in the cart evidently.  I'm going to order some later tonight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Robert, those french billiard pipes on RNA treasures are $5 each.  They fixed the glitch in the cart evidently.  I'm going to order some later tonight.
View Quote

Thanks!

ETA, got five
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Finished the seven pipe project for my buddy’s wife. My wife did some of the bowl sanding and dyeing and she cleaned up the stand.  I think they turned out nice.

The pipes

Back in their stand

I’ve been sending pictures to the owner and she’s excited. I hope she likes them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:06:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow! Nice to see new life to those pipes!
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Up next.

This is a neat Swinks pipe with a finned bowl.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I took a break from pipe projects today and made pipe tampers for myself and two of my friends.  They are Whitetail antler, the wood is Briar and the heads started out as stainless steel 1/4” bolts. I drilled and tapped the antler to accept the bolts then roughed them out on the belt sander.  The finish work is all hand work and carnauba wax on the buffer, just like finishing a pipe.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Those look awesome!
Love almost anything with antler.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I found another stainless bolt so I decided to make another while I had all the tools out. I buffed this one a little differently and really liked the way the colors came out in the antler. That led to buffing out the other three a second time but I’m happier with how they look.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those look awesome!
Love almost anything with antler.
View Quote

Thank you! First tampers I’ve made and the first things I’ve made from antler.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Won an nice group of pipes yesterday on eBay. Don’t think there will be a ton of restoration work to do, but they’ll certainly be fun to pick through and decide if I’ll keep all of them or possibly pass on a few.

These are the auction photos.  I’ll post them up after I receive them and as I clean them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
That Savinelli Spigot looks very nice!

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That Savinelli Spigot looks very nice!

View Quote

Yea, the Petersons and the Savinellis will land in my cabinet for sure.  Some of the others I haven’t identified yet, I’ll certainly have some research to do.

I think I paid a good price for the Petersons and Savinellis, the rest of them are just an added benefit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Nice haul. Some good ones there for sure.

So I have 5 unfinished briars showing up soon. Whats the minimum I need as far a buffing equipment? I have a 6" bench grinder and was going to get a muslin and a flannel buff wheel. Also, some white diamond compound and carnauba wax. Do I even need the white diamond or do I need more and get a wheel for some tripoli compound too?

I was going to first stain with black and then sand with 1200 and then stain dark brown. Is that the proper way for contrast staining? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice haul. Some good ones there for sure.

So I have 5 unfinished briars showing up soon. Whats the minimum I need as far a buffing equipment? I have a 6" bench grinder and was going to get a muslin and a flannel buff wheel. Also, some white diamond compound and carnauba wax. Do I even need the white diamond or do I need more and get a wheel for some tripoli compound too?

I was going to first stain with black and then sand with 1200 and then stain dark brown. Is that the proper way for contrast staining? Thanks
View Quote

You’ve got everything you need! I sand to 1200 and buff white diamond followed with carnauba.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks. Do you do anything on the buffing wheel before staining or all after? I was thinking of doing white diamond before, then just wax after the staining as a final step.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I sand to 1200, stain, then buff.  I’m afraid you’d work the white diamond into the grain and the stain wouldn’t take.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Made a cob pipe today. I started with a Missouri Meerschaum kit and a scrap of antler.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 12:11:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Here’s another cob pipe I finished tonight. Got a little artsy-fartsy with this one.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:27:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Won an nice group of pipes yesterday on eBay. Don't think there will be a ton of restoration work to do, but they'll certainly be fun to pick through and decide if I'll keep all of them or possibly pass on a few.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/45E06C6F-74BE-4C4E-B951-0611C410A88D-1367640.jpg

These are the auction photos.  I'll post them up after I receive them and as I clean them.
View Quote
Have that exact Peterson Rhodesian st Patrick's day pipe, it's my favorite smoker by a large margin. Nice snag
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Something different today.  I bought this Peterson bowl on eBay with a missing stem. When I ordered unfinished pipes from RNA treasures I added several stems to the order for projects such as this one. Here’s a picture of the pipe with the finished stem I made with an example of the unfinished stem I made the new one from. Made a nice smokable Peterson pipe for $33.00 and a little labor.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#36]
This is my first project from my RNA treasures order. Of the 25 pipes I got there was one that wouldn’t have made a smokable pipe. There was a flaw in the turning that left the bowl wall too thin. I cut off the bowl and married the shank to a cob bowl. I think it turned out pretty cool.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
This one is what comes from drinking bourbon while making pipes!

I bought a Peterson off EBay with a burned out bowl.  The stem was good and I primarily bought it because Peterson Stems are impossible to find. Then, this happened.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#38]
That may be the world’s first P-lip cob!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Those are awesome! Nice to see the good parts bring salvaged.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my RNA order today. The Dublins are decent provided the black marks aren't covering up something.  The billiard sitters have big flaws that I have to incorporate into something artsy. I plan on putting a slight bend on the Dublin stems and maybe even the sitters. They fall back pretty hard when you sit them down anyway. My son in law is big on St Patricks day fan. One of the Dublins I am going to dye a green contrast stain for him. I hope anyway. This is all new to me.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got my RNA order today. The Dublins are decent provided the black marks aren't covering up something.  The billiard sitters have big flaws that I have to incorporate into something artsy. I plan on putting a slight bend on the Dublin stems and maybe even the sitters. They fall back pretty hard when you sit them down anyway. My son in law is big on St Patricks day fan. One of the Dublins I am going to dye a green contrast stain for him. I hope anyway. This is all new to me.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20200418_153304_jpg-1373735.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/48347/20200418_153116_jpg-1373736.JPG
View Quote

Be sure you insert a pipe cleaner in the stems before you heat and bend them. It will keep the airway from pinching.

That bit of exposed plateau in the one sitter will look really cool when the pipe is finished out.  The black spots are probably filler, they should be fine.

My wife has been sanding out a billiard this afternoon.  I fitted a green acrylic stem to it for her and she’s staining it now. I think it will be a neat pipe.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I did a restoration today on this 408 I bought in a lot of pipes off eBay. It was cruddy as all get out and had a small knife nick in the bowl but was otherwise in pretty good shape. I got quite a suprise as I was cleaning it up, it’s actually a green pipe. Most of the green has aged out, but it has a very attractive green mottling left in the lower part of the bowl. Had a little trouble getting it to show in a photo, but I think you can see it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Robert, that is a gorgeous peterson.  Never seen that color before.  I like it.

My $5 pipes cam in the mail Friday.  Haven't started anything with them yet.  Have to find some dye.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Robert, that is a gorgeous peterson.  Never seen that color before.  I like it.

My $5 pipes cam in the mail Friday.  Haven't started anything with them yet.  Have to find some dye.
View Quote

VermontFreehand.com has a great selection. You can also search J E Moser on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Here’s an RNA pipe. My wife did the sanding and a two stage dye on this one. I made the stem from an RNA reject and did the buffing for her.

Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here's an RNA pipe. My wife did the sanding and a two stage dye on this one. I made the stem from an RNA reject and did the buffing for her.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/163198EE-E911-4F50-8FED-7B341303437F-1376287.jpg
View Quote
Very cool!

I received my order from RNA, they all need some decent work and one they sent will be unsmokable due to the wall thinness on one half of the bowl. I knew that going in so not upset, but I was a bit peeved about the condition of the stems. Even the vest pocket pipe that wasn't a reject the bit looks used with some chatter and some smoo on it
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Here’s an RNA pipe I got a little crazy with.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:34:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Here’s another RNA pipe I’ve been playing with.

Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No new pipes today, but I did organize my pipe "cabinet".

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/E53DAC06-0327-49DA-81BD-841403B71F1A-1354796.jpg
View Quote
Living the life! Great thread keep it going please.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Living the life! Great thread keep it going please.
View Quote

Thank you!  Here’s my latest restorations. This is a group of three Petersons I just received. They didn’t need much besides a clean and buff, except the straight bulldog needed the stem tightened.  No big deal, tightening a stem is a three minute job.  Interestingly enough, the straight bulldog seems to be an un-cataloged model.  It is marked as a Donegal Rocky 150, but it has a smooth rim instead of the rusticated rim it should have. The rim is also stained a walnut color while the rusticated body of the pipe is the traditional red of a Rocky.  I posted pictures of it on the Peterson Facebook page I belong to and a couple of the more advanced collectors seem very intrigued by it.  I just like nice pipes.

I also picked up a tiny little pair of vintage cobs on eBay. I think these are cool!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top