Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 11:34:44 AM EDT
I've got a small, inexpensive desktop humidor and would like to upgrade the analog hygrometer.  I think the one listed below should do the trick, but thought I'd pass it by folks in the know before ordering.

While I'm at it, the humidifier could use an upgrade as well.

Thoughts on these products?
Hygrometer
Humidifier #1 or Humidifier #2

If these won't do the trick, any recommendations for what I should buy?  
I'm a pretty low volume smoker; one, maybe two per month.  I have 20-30 cigars in a humidor I received as part of a combo gift pack many moons ago.  It's pretty fugly, but it seems to keep the humidity levels stable if the analog gauges are to be believed...  The cigars sucked, so I ditched most of them and refilled with some stuff from local shops

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Any of the Caliber products from Cigar Oasis are great choices - reliable and from a solid company. I know them personally. Also check out the Xikar models. They come in several different sizes and come with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. I sell a ton of them and you can't go wrong with any of those.

For humidification you should opt for a Boveda pack. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's the lowest cost (no PG Solution required), dummy proof (no offense intended), low maintenance (can't over humidify if you don't use/monitor your humidor often). I recommend Boveda setups in all the humidors I sell for this reason. Hands down the easiest to use. They have cool accessories like pack holders, a variety of pack %s and even larger gram packs now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any of the Caliber products from Cigar Oasis are great choices - reliable and from a solid company. I know them personally. Also check out the Xikar models. They come in several different sizes and come with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. I sell a ton of them and you can't go wrong with any of those.

For humidification you should opt for a Boveda pack. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It's the lowest cost (no PG Solution required), dummy proof (no offense intended), low maintenance (can't over humidify if you don't use/monitor your humidor often). I recommend Boveda setups in all the humidors I sell for this reason. Hands down the easiest to use. They have cool accessories like pack holders, a variety of pack %s and even larger gram packs now.
View Quote
Thanks!
I'll pick up a couple of those Broveda packs (65% or 70% for a small humidor?) when I place the order for the hygrometer.  Should I pick up their calibration packet as well?  Dummy proof (none taken) is good, though I would like a lower cost solution for the long term.  Once I figure out what my humidor is really doing in terms of RH and temp, I guess that will teach me what I need to know about alternate humidifying methods.  

Side note: I have a ton of PG on hand already as I mix my own vaping juice (yeah, yeah...), so at least that won't be a hindrance should I decide to go that route.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'll pick up a couple of those Broveda packs (65% or 70% for a small humidor?) when I place the order for the hygrometer.  Should I pick up their calibration packet as well?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'll pick up a couple of those Broveda packs (65% or 70% for a small humidor?) when I place the order for the hygrometer.  Should I pick up their calibration packet as well?
I use and highly recommend the Boveda Seasoning Packs to properly season your humidor AND the Calibration Kits to calibrate your hygrometer. While both tasks can certainly be done the old fashion way, these guys save you some time and hassle for VERY little expenese (~ $5 each and can be used over and over).

Just make sure the hygrometer you get CAN be calibrated. Some like the small round Xikar models are not adjustable (so you can't actually calibrate it).

In a traditional wooden humidor (that leaks) I would run a 72% pack in most parts of the US. In my air tight Ammodors I run 69% but only because they are air tight. You could go down to a 65 or 69% if you like the a little dry.

Quoted:
Side note: I have a ton of PG on hand already as I mix my own vaping juice (yeah, yeah...), so at least that won't be a hindrance should I decide to go that route.
Makes sense then - check out the Xikar gel bead pucks. The smallest would probably work for you - it's for 50 count humidors. I sell a good bit of them as well and never had any complaints - they even come pre-filled.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Boveda. For the hygrometer take a look at SensorPush. Its a wireless sensor that you manage with an app from your phone or tablet.

Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I finally got around to ordering stuff.  The Caliber IV arrived late last week.  After checking it with a Boveda calibration packet, it's telling me my wood humidor is at 57-58%, so I bought a pair
of smaller tupperdors to keep new stock and to try to recondition my existing (meager) collection of sticks.  While that's working I am going to try to sort out issues with the wood humidor.

Good times!  

Thanks for all of the info.  I'm looking forward to getting this all straightened out!
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another vote for Boveda. For the hygrometer take a look at SensorPush. Its a wireless sensor that you manage with an app from your phone or tablet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/430646/Screenshot_20171110-204215-359113.png
View Quote
I took a look at that and was seriously tempted.  AsIi am an infrequent smoker at best, I love the idea of not having to open the humidor to keep track of things.   If I decide to get (and stay) more serious about cigars, there's a good chance I will pick one up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I like mine. I bought it off of Amazon for 49 bucks. Very easy to set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top