Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2017 8:27:05 AM EDT
I've recently started getting into cigars. Tried a few real nice smokes a few weeks ago and thought I'd buy some more. So I'm on the road and stopped by a place in IL and found some Drew Estate Acid cigars. Picked up a Kuba Luna, some blondes and thought I'd give them a try. I think they're pretty good, nice and mild,  pleasant smell and taste. Not knowing anything about them I was wondering where they fit on the scale. I plan on going to a local place when I get back to Charlotte this weekend,  any recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I find those flavored cigars nasty. The Acid is like smoking old man aftershave.  

Do you self a favor and try a La Flor Dominicana Airbender.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
  They are not for me.....   plus, when people put those stinky things in the humidor they leech into the natural cigars.....  don't store them with anything you wish to taste natural.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Go to McCranies.   Try some Fuente, Padron...   Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to a real cigar store and buy some real cigars.

Good cigars are too numerous to list.

Ask the guy behind the counter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out Holt's.

They are in Philly and can ship you whatever you want.  

www.holts.com

They run specials all the time where you can try out a sample pack.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I honestly didny realize they were flavored,  i thought it smelled strange.  Guess I wasn't thinking.
I did pick up a RyJ, it was pretty good. I'll try a Fuente this evening.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to McCranies.   Try some Fuente, Padron...   Can't go wrong.
View Quote
Where is McCranies?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I honestly didny realize they were flavored,  i thought it smelled strange.  Guess I wasn't thinking.
I did pick up a RyJ, it was pretty good. I'll try a Fuente this evening.
View Quote
You're on the right track now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll try a Fuente this evening.
View Quote
This^^^^^  Plus 1 kabillion
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Padron 1964 Anniversary series

Just tried one, oh my...
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just tried one, oh my...
View Quote
My favorite so far.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:43:36 PM EDT
[#13]
So I had to go to Greenville SC today on my way to Idaho don't ask... but I stopped at this place on exit 60, off 85 as I had scouted ahead. It was run by Indians, dot not feather. Went to see if they had Opus X, they did. Was gonna grab one then saw the 1964 Padrons next to them, covered in mold. Looked for a reference photo and used this, it was definitely mold, looked exactly like it :(    poor Padrons....

Attachment Attached File

Before i confirmed with the above image I figured if it was mold then I would see spore like structures and if it was plume it would just be close to the wrapper as it's just the oil drying up, right? So it shouldn't actually be growing, right? This shit was growing. And the humidor was just a big room, like 30 x 20 big,  and the air was pretty dead in this part and it felt warmer and more humid in this section.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I ended up getting some Opus X, but I'm waiting to try em. They had good prices on them too! I went back and looked around and now I'm not sure if it really was mold  I do know it looked different this time, more like plume. Beats the he'll out of me. May be someone bought the ones I saw. So I picked up a Patel 55, 5.5x55. I like it, not quite  padron but it's not bad. Five is my lucky number, maybe thats why I like it....lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I figured I'd update this thread as I puff on this Aj Fernandez New World Toro.

I got a recommendation to try this so I've searched around looking, nobody has it. I ended up buying a box online as I figured if I didn't like it I would at least have trade materials.  Well, I ain't trading them, go get your own! Lol....damn it's good. I'm working on my palate but I can appreciate flavors I'm used to. Cocoa, a little pepper, leather, earthy and wood on the first 3rd. I'm just starting the 2nd 3rd and I'm getting less pepper, spice and more unsweet chocolate, floral and a little sweetness but not much. Excellent draw, nice smoke cloud and a strong white ash. I'm seriously digging this stick! No pepper on the retro now and it's got a nice creamy finish.

It's box pressed with a nice Hershey bar color. The ash had a slight fork to it but that went away quick. Even burn and didn't need any repair. At first the dark wrapper had me worried that it would be too  strong,  not sure why, but my fear was unfounded.  I just got these today but instead of waiting i had to try one.

End of the 2nd going in to the 3rd I get a different taste, maybe hay? Pepper is gone, no more floral or sweet. Not hay, maybe cedar? Seems like it opened up because the cloud of smoke is bigger and the draw easier. It's definitely got a wood taste, I just smelled inside the box and it smells like that. But it's light and refreshing, not charred or like a hard wood smoke flavor.

Yep, this ones a keeper! I bought this because I was told if I liked the Padron I'd like this. Where the 2000 or 3000 Padron is a little greener (not sure how to say this) then the 1964 which is definitely smoother, this is like the 1964 with less pepper, less earth and more cocoa and chocolate flavors. Pepper coming back at the end, it's starting to wind down. I could enjoy these at $5 a pop quite often.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just tried one, oh my...
View Quote
Now you're on the right track :-)
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I like blue label Acid cigars. I don't smoke a lot, tho
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Now you're on the right track :-)
View Quote
I like the Padrons, just not the price ÷(

Pretty much anything in the $10 range is tasty to me. The New World is the best $5 stick I've had so far. But generally everything gets compared to Padron....lol
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think of you go try some premium cigars you'll taste a difference, I certainly did. There is so much to the taste of a good cigar that I found I like them better than the infused cigars like the Acid. Seriously,  grab a cup of coffee and a good cigar. You might be surprised by the pair up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m a huge AJ fan. If you are liking the New Worlds, grab some of the new New World Puro Especials, La Gran Llaves, or if you can find them, try a Foundation cigars Tabernacle.  AJ makes a ton of great stuff, from cheap to 10-12 a stick. On the low end, give any of the Diesel line, or Man o War line a try. ETA, my personal favorites are the Bellas Artes and Man o War Ruination robusto#1. Ihave a huge list of cigars AJ blends under other names if your ever interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top