Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice work DK!

I'm no stranger to smoking the briar.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work.  Are you over on pipesmokersforum.com? That's a good bunch over there, if you want to get idea for future projects or just BS.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great idea!  Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice work.  Are you over on pipesmokersforum.com? That's a good bunch over there, if you want to get idea for future projects or just BS.
Great idea!  Thanks.
Great bunch of guys over there in fact, including many pipe makers.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice work! This may motivate me to dig out the half finished briar project I shelved 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Those are some nice looking pipes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazing work DK. I love the ones with the burl (I hope that's the right term).
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent work!  I need to get a bandsaw too!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seconded.  I'm a member over there too.  A lot of members post their pipes for sale.

Yours are very nice, but I am partial to the classic shapes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the one after the bog oak one - where do you get the inspiration for your shapes?  I had to Google Gotoh, but only came up with pics of guitar machine heads of one sort or another. Although, it does kinda look like a tuning key...
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Those look pretty cool!  You should do a build thread on your next one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#18]
SO cool! just getting into pipes. Been cigar guy for a long time.
Would cherry, apple or grape wood make good pipes?
Oh and thank you Denmark for Orlik, good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#19]
DK, good work! I dig the volcanos, especially.

Have you seen Scott Thile's work? He occaisionally has some for sale on smokingpipes.com.

He is also mandolinist Chris Thile's Dad. 
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]
The shapes are interesting.  I like the styling.  Have you tried doing some classic shapes?  

I also like the volcano shaped one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Interested in selling one?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Possibly.

I had to put up a new shelf in my library (now renamed my "smoking lounge" since I put in French doors and an exhaust fan ) just to have a place to put them all, and I'm now running out of space there.

My wife says that I should definitely start selling some - but you know, being my wife, she is blind to reality and thinks I am talented and that people would buy them, whereas I look at all of the kick-ass pipe makers out there, and think mine look ridiculously clumsy and amateurish in comparison.  Some of my executive MBA students did say they wanted to develop a business plan for my pipe business, but I assume it was said tongue in cheek, because we were drinking and smoking cigars at the time,

That said, I am thinking about setting up a LLC or regular corp, and a website, etc (or maybe just an etsy page), and giving it a shot.  Not as a money-making thing or a serious business, but at least I could tax-deduct some expenses.  Plus, my wife would like that.  Actually, her idea is that wealthy pretentious hipsters in D.C. might buy fancy pipes to smoke their (now legal) pot in.  

Maybe I could eventually start selling on the E.E. and become an industry partner, selling "tactical" pipes, stained in olive drab or desert tan!  
View Quote
I don't know how much you would charge for one, but I'd be interested in adding one to my collection...
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:46:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't know how much you would charge for one, but I'd be interested in adding one to my collection...
View Quote
Same, depending on prices.  

ETA: I think they look great.  I typically like more traditional looks, but I enjoyed something in all of the ones you posted above.

Plus it would be cool to have a pipe made by an Arfcommer.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I really like #2 and #12.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Possibly.

I had to put up a new shelf in my library (now renamed my "smoking lounge" since I put in French doors and an exhaust fan ) just to have a place to put them all, and I'm now running out of space there.

My wife says that I should definitely start selling some - but you know, being my wife, she is blind to reality and thinks I am talented and that people would buy them, whereas I look at all of the kick-ass pipe makers out there, and think mine look ridiculously clumsy and amateurish in comparison.  Some of my executive MBA students did say they wanted to develop a business plan for my pipe business, but I assume it was said tongue in cheek, because we were drinking and smoking cigars at the time,

That said, I am thinking about setting up a LLC or regular corp, and a website, etc (or maybe just an etsy page), and giving it a shot.  Not as a money-making thing or a serious business, but at least I could tax-deduct some expenses.  Plus, my wife would like that.  Actually, her idea is that wealthy pretentious hipsters in D.C. might buy fancy pipes to smoke their (now legal) pot in.  

Maybe I could eventually start selling on the E.E. and become an industry partner, selling "tactical" pipes, stained in olive drab or desert tan!  
View Quote
Have you also considered meerschaum as a material?  The Baki meers are highly prized and you can really do some nice designs.  I once tried to have Dan Chlebove make a pipe that looked like my NT4 suppressor...he said it was too industrial a look. I think meerschaum would be a good material to do tactical shapes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Can you tell me more about your soaking lounge exhaust fan setup? I need one of these.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A soaking lounge sounds awesome!  But I assume you mean my smoking lounge.  

Fortunately, I had easy attic access, so it was pretty simple.  I bought a relatively quiet (but still powerful) exhaust fan off amazon.  Installation was a matter of buying some ducting, cutting a hole in the drywall between two joists, and then running it off a live wire I found up there and dropping a switch down and cutting a hole for that.  Even for someone like me, who is all thumbs, it only took me a couple of hours.

It works spectacularly well.  I can sit in there and smoke a couple of pipes (or a cigar) in an evening, and just leave the fan on and the door shut overnight, and the next morning you cannot even smell it in the room.  Gradually over time, the room is taking on a very nice subtle smell - but NOWHERE in the house can you tell, even right outside.  So it's been very effective.

My brother-in-law and his family just visited a few weeks ago, and he was so impressed that he has done the same thing in a room in his house, so he doesn't have to go outside to smoke all the time.  

I'll go snag a couple of picture - brb.
View Quote
I'm not going lie, I have been thinking about a hot tub!

Did you vent it out of the roof then? I would hate to cut a hole in the side of the house. I would be venting a first story office/soaking room.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Got it, good work and thank you for the picture. I might be able to use a smoke eater but they are a little pricey for the good ones. Anywho, sorry for the highjack and nice looking pipes!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#37]
What is a good, cheap, buffer to get?  Would Horror Fright ones work?

I snagged a Craftsman 10" bandsaw the other day on sale!

Also, a word on materials for some of the other posters.

Meerschaum. As far as I am aware, the Turks hold on to their raw material now, so it is VERY hard to get a block of it.  It is so they can keep the market cornered.  Honestly, so long as they keep the prices reasonable, not the worst thing, because the conditions for mining that make coal mining look like a Sunday picnic.  They can have it and keep their carving traditions alive, while I sit comfortably in America, ordering online.

Woods.  As you said, briar is really the best way to go. It is very hard, burn resistant and chemically pretty neutral. Some other fruit woods have been used.   I would strongly recommend against using exotics. Jungle woods may have some excellent qualities, but they also have lots of chemicals and resins in them for the rough jungle life.  Heat can bring those out and they can cause some really shitty reactions.  My father had to sell off a bunch of his exotic woods, because the sawdust along would give him contact dermatitis and if he got any passed his mask or in his eyes, boom.. Reaction.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bunch of enablers, that's what you all are.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, I ordered a 5" disc / 1" x 30" belt sander.  Bought a Rikon 1750 RPM long shaft bench buffer.  Associated sand paper, carnuba wax.  

Also ordered two predrilled briar blanks with bent stems.  

If these work out, I may get the drill bits, bowl bits and tenon bit.

DK, what blades and Dremel bits are you using for your detailed designs?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:10:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Those are some nice looking pipes
Well done!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Possibly.

View Quote
Hey if you start selling some let me know, I wouldnt mind owning a DK-Prof pipe.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We have a sauna and a steam bath/shower downstairs, and it is fucking awesome!  Once we get too old and lazy to bother to exercise, the plan is to get rid of all the exercise equipment and lifting rack, and put in a hot tub and maybe some kind of japanese soaking tub.  Then it would truly be a soaking room!!  

I thought about the hassle of cutting through the wall and installing whatever those outlet vent fixtures are called - but we've got all of these vent holes in the eaves (or whatever the term is), as well as larger vents for the attic in the gable - so I just put the conduit over to that, and it seems to work fine.  I never smell any smoke in the attic.

Anyway, here's a picture that shows the vent in the ceiling, and the switch on the wall next to the door.  It's pretty unobtrusive, and the noise is a gentle white noise instead of a loud hum.  The regular exhaust fans in our bathrooms are literally like ten times louder.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/P1013009-268114.jpg
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Ok, so I bought one of DK's pipes and I have to say, after the first smoke, I'm very impressed.

I've had it sitting on my bar for a couple weeks, and life's events have prevented me from relaxing on the porch long enough to light it up. Tonight, after ripping out my newly remodeled bathroom... I sat outside and puffed on it a bit. VERY nice pipe.

I got the one that is in the fifth picture down. I can't tell if DK went abstract and it all worked out, or if he really put as much thought into the shape as the quality implies. This thing is super comfortable to hold in the hand, regardless of how or where you grip it. It's like it was formed to my hand specifically. The draw is perfect, and has just enough resistance to make a great smoke quality. Unlike some of my other good quality pipes, the temperature of the base never gets to a point that it is uncomfortable to hold, and the temperature of the smoke at the mouth piece excellent.

Very happy with this one.

Thanks DK!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Where did you find the bog oak? Nay of those for sale?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top