Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 8:36:12 AM EDT
I have smokes cigars for years and would like to start smoking pipe tobaco what all do I need to get started?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Pipe, tobacco, tamper, lighter/matches.

Then a nice peaceful spot to have a seat and relax.

That's all you "need" but you will want more if you like it. Pipe cleaners, sweetener, a nice tobacco/pipe pouch and a rack to hold all of your nice pipes will be on your list.

ETA: I would start with a straight stem at first. Bent pipes take some technique to keep spit away from the bowl. (Unless you get a Pete) That tastes nasty when it comes back up on the draw.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
check out some of the forums out there, lots to learn about the different tobaccos. so far my favorite is black cavendish, cant get enough of it  i just recently picked up the hobby, and found it to be more enjoyable than cigars. good luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Then a nice peaceful spot to have a seat and relax.

That's all you "need" but you will want more if you like it. Pipe cleaners, sweetener, a nice tobacco/pipe pouch and a rack to hold all of your nice pipes will be on your list.

ETA: I would start with a straight stem at first. Bent pipes take some technique to keep spit away from the bowl. (Unless you get a Pete) That tastes nasty when it comes back up on the draw.

IMO this is pretty darn good advice.

On the pipe end: start with something affordable, or borrow a pipe from a friend.

On the tobacco end: go to your local cigar shop and pick up 1-2oz of a few random tobacco's that appeal to you.  I love doing that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

On the pipe end: start with something affordable, or borrow a pipe from a friend.

Good idea. One of my favorites is an old ugly pipe I got for free from a guy at work. It is an old no namer but it is soooo comfortable and smokes nice.

You can get blem pipes also called seconds for really cheap sometimes, some of them are very good quality too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

This, and pipe cleaners.

Some FAQ, in one man's opinion.

I'd also get a tin of good tobacco. Some of the house blends in local stores can be quite moist (frustrating).

Also, check dubinthedam's youtube channel.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top