User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
OST.

I was born and raised in Colorado Springs.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Huge progress this week, but not without a handful of pitfalls.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The CMU wall in the production area has been beautifully painted

Also we are thinking we may do Quartz countertops, because we can't seem to find anyone doing concrete right now that can do them in the next month.
Thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 11:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Why insulation in the bar walls?  Sound deadening?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why insulation in the bar walls?  Sound deadening?
View Quote

Yeah it's a bit odd, but I am not complaining. May help with the noise from the eventual dishwasher.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Alright so lighting is in. I am pretty proud of the way it's turning out, I picked out all the lights and the lighting plans for the spaces.

The tasting area has soft white LEDs (may adjust the color) - they look really nice! - and they will all be on one dimmer.
We also have some pendant lights going in - in transit - for over the bar.
Attachment Attached File

I am really proud of these lights. I found them after hours of research. They are super bright, impact-resistant, and affordable.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Walk-in cooler install. I installed it, along with a couple of ladies

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You can see the front floor area is finished with a tinted epoxy.

We've got tiles going into the restrooms.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a state license inspection scheduled for Thursday. Wish me luck! Supposedly, they are only looking to confirm what was on the plans we sent to them some 3 months ago. The plans do not have any fermentation equipment on them.

Once the inspection is good, I should get state license approval.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
We have:

Filtered water and a tankless water heater
Attachment Attached File

Restrooms nearly complete:
Attachment Attached File

Underbar / behind the bar nearly done:
Attachment Attached File

Lights over the bar and OSB mounted to the front:
Attachment Attached File

Doors for the utility room and restrooms:
Attachment Attached File

AND
Italian Stainless Steel Wine Tanks:
Attachment Attached File

Now we are knocking a hole in the wall to install the double doors in the rear.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Fighting with the GC/engineer right now because they want to put a space-robbing and costly "emergency CO2 evacuation system"  in our production area.  With parts and labor it's over 2k not including the CO2 monitor system which we probably also don't need.

General contractor says: If we have to change the plans, that will also cost you time and money.

Maybe they shouldn't have fucked up the plans in the first place?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, is that to quickly cycle in breathable atmosphere in the super rare case of a CO2 tank fully emptying from a connection failure?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting, is that to quickly cycle in breathable atmosphere in the super rare case of a CO2 tank fully emptying from a connection failure?
View Quote

No, they claim it is due to CO2 generation from fermentation.

The CO2 tanks for the draft system don't even need a CO2 meter at the amounts we are going to have. (50 lb tank)
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Never heard of such a thing. (Not that I've had to build a brewery). And as described, it wouldn't be "emergency", but "all the time"
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Never heard of such a thing. (Not that I've had to build a brewery). And as described, it wouldn't be "emergency", but "all the time"
View Quote

It's hooked up to a CO2 monitor. If the levels reach a critical level (say 3000 PPM, about 10x normal level) the fan kicks on.

I estimate that it will NEVER kick on unless I trick it into doing so.

In my research I found that you can survive 5000 PPM for several minutes and all you really need to do is crack a door open.

BUT... the GC threw a fit and we are proceeding with the vent as planned. Yay.

EDIT: One source I found said 10k PPM (IE 1% CO2) is actually survivable for a few minutes. Not sure I'd want to find out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The CO2 alarm and detection is a real deal in the brewing/beverage industry now.  The local limits are 5000/15000/30000 ppm for Denver.   5000 ppm is like an 8 hour exposure per OSHA.  15000 ppm is like 15 minutes and 30000 ppm less than a minute before you are out cold. The detectors should be 12-18 inches off the floor as that's where CO2 collects. The detectors will notify locally at 5000 and 15000 so a local worker can deal with the issue.  At 30000 the alarm rings at the local Fire Dept and triggers the main source value to shut off. In Denver anything greater than 50lbs of supply hooked up at once requires a system.  I currently have a 12 ton bulk CO2 tank hooked up to my system with 6 different zones of detection and 2 individual coolers alarmed. We have only had an issue with the bar cooler where a bartender left a keg untapped and the cooler eventually filled with CO2. The system worked as designed and I was called at 3:30 AM by Denver Fire to let me know we had a leak.  

There have been several deaths linked to faulty connections or leaks in enclosed spaces like coolers. In AZ I believe some fast food workers noticed a fellow worker did not return form the trip the cooler. The first person saw a man down in the cooler and went in to help.  The second guy also passed out,  the third guy went in to get the other 2 and also passed out too. All 3 died.  

Denver was one of the first to require it in the country.  Ironically it was the MMJ industry that caused an issue.  A grower was pumping CO2 into help plants grow and the CO2 was leaking into an adjacent area with unrelated office workers who felt ill and nearly passed out.  The main issue is not CO2 produced by fermentation but a leaking main supply line or the large release of an empty tank filled with 15 PSI and 5-10bbls of empty space of CO2.  

Don't skimp on safety!

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
.... The main issue is not CO2 produced by fermentation but a leaking main supply line or the large release of an empty tank filled with 15 PSI and 5-10bbls of empty space of CO2.  
Don't skimp on safety!
View Quote

Aaah, that makes sense -- it's about the large CO2 tanks and related connections/leaks, not the fermentation per se.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Aaah, that makes sense -- it's about the large CO2 tanks and related connections/leaks, not the fermentation per se.

View Quote

Nope!

We were going to use the 50 lb tanks - over (100 lbs), you need a monitor.  They said it was from the CO2 generated from fermentation, not the compressed gasses. Yay 2021.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The CO2 alarm and detection is a real deal in the brewing/beverage industry now.  The local limits are 5000/15000/30000 ppm for Denver.   5000 ppm is like an 8 hour exposure per OSHA.  15000 ppm is like 15 minutes and 30000 ppm less than a minute before you are out cold. The detectors should be 12-18 inches off the floor as that's where CO2 collects. The detectors will notify locally at 5000 and 15000 so a local worker can deal with the issue.  At 30000 the alarm rings at the local Fire Dept and triggers the main source value to shut off. In Denver anything greater than 50lbs of supply hooked up at once requires a system.  I currently have a 12 ton bulk CO2 tank hooked up to my system with 6 different zones of detection and 2 individual coolers alarmed. We have only had an issue with the bar cooler where a bartender left a keg untapped and the cooler eventually filled with CO2. The system worked as designed and I was called at 3:30 AM by Denver Fire to let me know we had a leak.  

There have been several deaths linked to faulty connections or leaks in enclosed spaces like coolers. In AZ I believe some fast food workers noticed a fellow worker did not return form the trip the cooler. The first person saw a man down in the cooler and went in to help.  The second guy also passed out,  the third guy went in to get the other 2 and also passed out too. All 3 died.  

Denver was one of the first to require it in the country.  Ironically it was the MMJ industry that caused an issue.  A grower was pumping CO2 into help plants grow and the CO2 was leaking into an adjacent area with unrelated office workers who felt ill and nearly passed out.  The main issue is not CO2 produced by fermentation but a leaking main supply line or the large release of an empty tank filled with 15 PSI and 5-10bbls of empty space of CO2.  

Don't skimp on safety!

View Quote

Nice to meet you brewerman. We'll have to chat sometime.   Yeah, our plans were for 50 lb tanks but because of fermentation they wanted to put this system in. We don't have an enclosed space but... I guess the safety aspect is nice. We just talked to the CO2 people, now I want a bulk tank (like 750 lbs) and I'm wondering since we already have this system if they will let it go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Man, this is the tough part. It would be nice if I didn't have a "dayjob" but it's also nice to pay the bills right now.

Here's some pics of our tanks. I insulated the area that contains the cooling jackets, my reason being that the cooling liquid is much colder than the ambient air. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to fully insulate the tanks, but that would ruin these girl's pretty looks.

We have these 620 liter tanks with Manways, cooling jackets, and sloped bottoms. These are made to handle lots of fruit.
Attachment Attached File

This shows the insulation we installed, nothing fancy but it is two layers- this is an 1100 liter tank (290 gallons, 9.5 barrels):
Attachment Attached File

These tiny 31 gallon tanks are for pilot and specialty batches. They have internal cooling coils:
Attachment Attached File

So, 6 fermentation tanks in all, about to buy a bright tank as well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#21]
So those 6 FVs are single wall with a glycol jacket?  

Make sure you get a bright tank that is fully insulated and pressure rated to 1 BAr/14.5 PSI, so can carb much easier if you ever want to.  34F/2C will get you right bout 3.0 Vol of CO2 at 14 PSI.  That will be good for some sparkling meads.  

What's you flor and drain situation in the wet areas.  Floors are my pet peeve.

Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So those 6 FVs are single wall with a glycol jacket?  

Make sure you get a bright tank that is fully insulated and pressure rated to 1 BAr/14.5 PSI, so can carb much easier if you ever want to.  34F/2C will get you right bout 3.0 Vol of CO2 at 14 PSI.  That will be good for some sparkling meads.  

What's you flor and drain situation in the wet areas.  Floors are my pet peeve.

View Quote

Yessir. Although the two 40 gallon conicals have neoprene "wetsuits". Truth be told, cold crashing is not as important for mead as it is for beer.  The primary use-case is fermenting at 60 degrees for grape meads using wine yeast. The big tank will primarily make "traditional" bases of honey and water, and ferment 63-68 degrees depending on yeast strain selected.

We are looking at Stout or Craftmaster for our 5 BBL brite- yes they are both chinese-made which is unfortunate. Fully jacketed.
With sparkling meads we end up in an unfortunate area where if the CO2 volume exceeds a certain amount (2.6 volumes?) we have to pay the "Champagne tax" which is like $2.92 PER GALLON (including federal and state)

The floor situation kinda sucks. We have a 20' floor drain, but the floor is not sloped in any way. So we have to use a squeegee to move water towards that or the floor sink under the 3-comp sink.
The floors are epoxy sealed but the dude insisted on texture for the floor, which makes it pretty much impossible to mop.

It would have been nice to slope the whole drain area, but we already super overspent our budget and all that. Lesson learned for the 2nd location.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We are looking at Stout or Craftmaster for our 5 BBL brite- yes they are both chinese-made which is unfortunate. Fully jacketed.
With sparkling meads we end up in an unfortunate area where if the CO2 volume exceeds a certain amount (2.6 volumes?) we have to pay the "Champagne tax" which is like $2.92 PER GALLON (including federal and state)

View Quote

That is really odd they are taxing sparkling mead based on CO2 volume?  I know there are some differences in taxes by ABV and spirits verses wines but taxing by CO2 content must be some kind of New Green Deal carbon tax.  

https://leg.colorado.gov/content/liquor-tax

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is really odd they are taxing sparkling mead based on CO2 volume?  I know there are some differences in taxes by ABV and spirits verses wines but taxing by CO2 content must be some kind of New Green Deal carbon tax.  

https://leg.colorado.gov/content/liquor-tax

View Quote

It's a federal law, I don't think Colorado cares much. Mead is classified as wine, and the wine lobby has been lobbying for a long time.

However, Colorado could use an overhaul of its tax structure for fermented beverages.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Been busy, despite the lack of updates. I have 4 batches of mead going, and need to start another one soon.

Filling a 150 gallon tank with honey-water (California Orange Blossom honey)
Attachment Attached File

600 lbs of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries thawing
Attachment Attached File

Into the tank along with 350 lbs of honey and a little water:
Attachment Attached File

Current state of the tasting room
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you feel like you'll be open soon? SWMBO and I will be visiting family and friends in August. I'll be bringing some growlers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Do you feel like you'll be open soon? SWMBO and I will be visiting family and friends in August. I'll be bringing some growlers.
View Quote

We'll be open late June, so I'd say chances are great. We should have bottles and cans available to-go by then.

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]
If anyone wants to help "crowdfund" us by purchasing a membership - send me a PM. I don't want to get in trouble for advertising - but we should be able to ship to 42 states with Vinoshipper.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
And to think... I was getting all excited that I was about to make another 5gal... (finishing off a couple quarts with a buddy on Friday night was probably not a great choice).

Good job, djkest!
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
And to think... I was getting all excited that I was about to make another 5gal... (finishing off a couple quarts with a buddy on Friday night was probably not a great choice).

Good job, djkest!
View Quote

Cheers fellow mead-maker. I am pitching yeast on another 200 gallons today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Holy cow. So we are having a difficult time getting the local media to talk to us. I contacted every TV station and newspaper in town (there's 6) and didn't get a single response. It's weird, because it seems like they cover all sorts of random things. Any tips?

Also we are set to open in exactly 1 month - I can't wait to make some revenue. :)
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Reach out to community development folks at the permit office.
I had a client do that recently and that started her path to getting coverage of the opening with city officials attending.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe check which reporters have covered restaurant and brewery openings and things in the past, and directly getting contact with them, if the main contact at the businesses aren't hooking you up with them?
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I did not think that meadery was a thing, but nice to see new business pop up and all.

It is always nice to see business start that boot strap process and produce products that are not run o f the mill.
I have not had mead or commercial/quality hard cider before so it should provide some entertainment for the taste buds.

Those two style drinks have been on my bucket list for years...by bucket list - "one of these days I am going to have to try some of that stuff".

I look forward to driving by the place when I am in town...
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I did not think that meadery was a thing, but nice to see new business pop up and all.

It is always nice to see business start that boot strap process and produce products that are not run o f the mill.
I have not had mead or commercial/quality hard cider before so it should provide some entertainment for the taste buds.

Those two style drinks have been on my bucket list for years...by bucket list - "one of these days I am going to have to try some of that stuff".

I look forward to driving by the place when I am in town...
View Quote

Awesome, arfcommers are always welcome. I'm the big balding guy.

Our mead is really fun, and we'll have top-tier cider on tap as well. If you come in the evening you can watch the sun set over Pikes Peak from the front windows.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Awesome, arfcommers are always welcome. I'm the big balding guy.

Our mead is really fun, and we'll have top-tier cider on tap as well. If you come in the evening you can watch the sun set over Pikes Peak from the front windows.
View Quote

If you think the sun set over Pikes Peak is good - watch the moon over Cheyenne Mountain Air Force base/station - not kept up with the flip / flop between station or base.  

Now if you had real home made root beer / quality ginger ale for take out....I would have figured I have died and gone to heaven.  I would even tip in boxes of 9mm ammo.

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, we made it on a local news station! That reporter was really awesome.

https://krdo.com/news/2021/06/01/couple-of-springs-businesses-hoping-for-success-during-rebound-era/

I'm not the taco burger place.

I'm an idiot - fair warning!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Good times. Having a hard time finding things in stock that we need. Like bottles, corks, labels, fruit, chairs, tables, etc. We have t-minus two weeks to grand opening.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#39]
We took some pictures for the local newspaper- hopefully these files are small enough

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Bad ass...

By some chance, I might be in the Denver area to look at and purchase a classic car. If all goes well, I'll be about 40 minutes away and I'll have to stop buy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Glad your finally open! My buddy and I will be by sometime  this week!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Glad your finally open! My buddy and I will be by sometime  this week!
View Quote

Note: not open until Friday!  But look forward to seeing you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#43]
@deathhates

@downtrodden
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Awesome, been following this thread for a while, glad to see you opening. Will have to swing by next time I'm in town. Trying to do something similar in Albuquerque.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Awesome, been following this thread for a while, glad to see you opening. Will have to swing by next time I'm in town. Trying to do something similar in Albuquerque.
View Quote

I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

It's been rough trying to get started during / post pandemic.
Equipment shortages, shipping cost increases, delays, price increases... etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Some more recent pics of finishing details
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, we are open. I worked harder than I've ever worked in my life trying to get ready. The night before Grand Opening, one of my transfer pumps died. I had to rig up some stuff to use my expensive pump instead.
I ended up getting everything kegged at the last minute, threw the kegs in the walk-in cooler, went home, showered, and came back just in time to epen.

We opened with 8 meads on tap, and 3 ciders guest taps from our friends at Boxing Brothers.  Were fairly busy, and hope to build some repeat business. All of the meads were well-recieved.
We'll have bottles available for sale by this weekend, though we can't sell across state lines unless we have federal label approval.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well, we are open. I worked harder than I've ever worked in my life trying to get ready. The night before Grand Opening, one of my transfer pumps died. I had to rig up some stuff to use my expensive pump instead.
I ended up getting everything kegged at the last minute, threw the kegs in the walk-in cooler, went home, showered, and came back just in time to epen.

We opened with 8 meads on tap, and 3 ciders guest taps from our friends at Boxing Brothers.  Were fairly busy, and hope to build some repeat business. All of the meads were well-recieved.
We'll have bottles available for sale by this weekend, though we can't sell across state lines unless we have federal label approval.
View Quote

Congratulations!

Now let me know how long it takes you to regret dumping the heat from the cooler refrigeration inside the space
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Congratulations!

Now let me know how long it takes you to regret dumping the heat from the cooler refrigeration inside the space
View Quote

It's been fine so far. But what I do regret is how noisy it is. We are planning on replacing it...eventually... maybe.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Here are the 5 full strength meads we opened with:

Citra X- California Orange Blossom Honey, Citra Hops, Lemon Juice and Zest
Maui Sunset- CA OB honey, Mango, Pineapple, Orange Juice
Candy Crush- CA OB honey, Candy Snap and Candy Heart Grapes
Crush Berry- CA OB honey, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries, Orange Juice,
Direct Currant- CA OB honey, black currants
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top