Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2017 9:51:17 AM EDT
I am a 100% novice and currently compiling of necessary items...

1. Do you consider chisels a mandatory tool like a socket is to a mechanic?

2.  If so, what size(s) do you use the most?

3. Should I buy a set or individuals?

4. What is a decent brand? I don’t mind spending a little $$ but I’m not Bob Villa so I won’t be making cabinets for a million dollar house.

5. Lastly, what about sharpening? How often and what do you use?

I know it is a bunch of questions but I am really hoping I can cash in on your experience and not buy items or brands I will regret. I would rather buy right the first time rather than go cheap and have to buy again..... which usually costs more than buying right the first time.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You need several sets. A Cheap set that you can abuse. A working set for rough work like cleaning up rabbit and dado cuts, mortising and gouging in soft woods. A quality set to cut in hardwood where cuts will be visible and finally a real good set for carving. A set of diamond stones will do ok for sharpening of the cheap and working chisels the quality chisels will need a soft oil stone for final sharpening and the carving chisels and gouges will require a strop. My cheap and working grade chisels are the only ones I have as a set. The quality and carving I buy as needed $$$. 

Eta: Cheap from HF, working from Lowes/HD, quality and carving I get mostly from Woodcraft, Highland Woodworking or MSLC.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Got an Aldi grocery store near by?  No shit, $7+ tax for a set of 4.  Paul Sellers uses them exclusively in his classes now.  You can pick them up on ebay if you don't have one close by.  All they need is a proper sharpening on a good stone.  They really hold an edge.  
Just last night I bought the last set my store had in stock for a coworker.  I made his day this morning.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for both responses. Yes, there is an Aldi, Lowe’s and a Home Depot about 3 miles from my house. I will check it out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd recommend a set of Marples Blue Chip chisels.  They are undoubtedly good quality and their price is very reasonable.

They easily take a true "scary sharp" edge.  Assuming you know how to achieve that edge, of course.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know it is a bunch of questions but I am really hoping I can cash in on your experience and not buy items or brands I will regret. I would rather buy right the first time rather than go cheap and have to buy again..... which usually costs more than buying right the first time.
View Quote

https://www.google.com/search?q=B000RG2Y56

good steel, good balance.
my set is 20 years old (from prior to Irwin actually buying Marples, in fact) and is still good to go.

ps
you don't strike a chisel with a hammer.  you use a mallet.  here is what you want...
https://www.google.com/search?q=B002S0OIW6

somewhere over on the finewoodworking site you can get a primer on how to sharpen and hone a chisel using a suitable set of stones or 1500/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a bench flat.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need several sets. A Cheap set that you can abuse. A working set for rough work like cleaning up rabbit and dado cuts, mortising and gouging in soft woods. A quality set to cut in hardwood where cuts will be visible and finally a real good set for carving. A set of diamond stones will do ok for sharpening of the cheap and working chisels the quality chisels will need a soft oil stone for final sharpening and the carving chisels and gouges will require a strop. My cheap and working grade chisels are the only ones I have as a set. The quality and carving I buy as needed $$. 

Eta: Cheap from HF, working from Lowes/HD, quality and carving I get mostly from Woodcraft, Highland Woodworking or MSLC.
View Quote
OP, I disagree with almost everything this guy posted.

You can do everything you need with a set of bevel edged chisels. Aldi or Narex would be my inexpensive brands of choice. Absolutely zero need for a beater set and a quality set. Absolutely no need for oil stones if you have diamond stones and a strop.

I'd recommend watching Paul Sellers on YouTube, or sign up for his online classes. He is a no BS guy, and is not overly precious about woodworking and tools. My most used chisels are 1/8", 1/4", 3/8" and 3/4". As you progress you can decide whether you want skew chisels, fishtail chisels, paring chisels, etc. but you can do without them for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
you don't strike a chisel with a hammer.  you use a mallet.
View Quote
Best Mallets For Hand Tool Woodworking
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am a 100% novice and currently compiling of necessary items...

1. Do you consider chisels a mandatory tool like a socket is to a mechanic?
View Quote
Yes.

2.  If so, what size(s) do you use the most?
View Quote
1/4", 1/2", 3/4". I could probably get away without the 1/2". Those are the bevel edge chisels.

3. Should I buy a set or individuals?
View Quote
I don't see a problem buying a limited set starting out if you don't have any. A 3 or 4 piece set would do fine. I have a five piece set but rarely touch the 1" or 1-1/4" chisels that are in the set.

4. What is a decent brand? I don’t mind spending a little $ but I’m not Bob Villa so I won’t be making cabinets for a million dollar house.
View Quote
I am a big fan of the Narex brand for the price and have some of their mortise chisels and skew chisels. If I had to replace mine (Stanley Bailey set) I would get a Veritas ($$$$) or Lie-Nielsen ($$$$$) set, but that's because I have both Black Rifle Disease and a nasty woodworking bug...

5. Lastly, what about sharpening? How often and what do you use?
View Quote
Diamond stones + finishing on a water stone and honing guide here, with frequent stropping.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Marples-Woodworking-Chisel-M444SB6N/dp/B000RG2Y56

good steel, good balance.
my set is 20 years old (from prior to Irwin actually buying Marples, in fact) and is still good to go.

ps
you don't strike a chisel with a hammer.  you use a mallet.  here is what you want...
https://www.amazon.com/Crown-4-1-2-inch-Beechwood-Mallet/dp/B002S0OIW6/

somewhere over on the finewoodworking site you can get a primer on how to sharpen and hone a chisel using a suitable set of stones or 1500/2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a bench flat.

ar-jedi
View Quote
Listen to the Jedi and be one with your tools.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
[o/t]
do any of you guys see what i am seeing on the second amazon link in my post above (the link to the mallet)?

--> https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ARFCOM-adding-amazon-referrer-links---/3-2043992/?page=1
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quick, cheap sharpening of chisels -

1/4" thick glass plate (typically the size of a half sheet of sandpaper - sold as shelving in arts & crafts stores or hardware stores)

Sand paper, wet or dry type, in very fine grits - 600* and finer

Oil - any oil will do the trick

*  If you really bugger your chisel tip, you may need some coarser grit sandpapers (or a grinder) to remove the divot.  Sandpaper is cheap.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bunch of these and they are great.  I have 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide.

Robert Sorby Registered Firmer Chisels

Wooden mallets are not too expensive but making one is really fun project.  No matter how it comes out, a work of art or a misshapen club, it will still work to beat on a chisel.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I think bevel edged chisels are a better choice for a beginner, especially when chopping out dovetails.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want a quality set with a company who still has great customer service- get a Two Cherries unpolished set.  Less than $200 and you will hand them down to your great grandchildren.  

A fact- no chisel- even the Lie-Nielsens come flat.  Doesn't matter if you pay $5 or $500 for a chisel, you will have to flatten them and then sharpen them!
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think bevel edged chisels are a better choice for a beginner, especially when chopping out dovetails.
View Quote
I consider the beveled edge chisels to be a specialty tool.  I use them only when I need to get into a tight corner.  When chopping mortises or other normal work, I always grab the Sorby chisels.  

I also like the screw blade chisels for getting into tight corners.

Finally, the crane neck chisels get used to scrape the bottoms of mortises and the corner chisels get used to turn round mortise ends into square corners.  Alternatively, you can round off the edges of the tenon to fit the round mortise, especially if it's a blind mortise.  It is all a matter of personal preference and style/design.

Is it possible to have too many hand tools?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it possible to have too many hand tools?
View Quote
I cut pretty much all of my hand cut mortises with bevel edged chisels, and clean out the bottoms with a narrower chisel.

But that doesn't stop me from having firmer chisels, paring chisels, timber framing slicks, mortising chisels, Japanese chisels, and way too many old Ebay chisels that I bought just because I couldn't believe a good chisel was going for so cheap. Like any other hobby, it is easy to amass quite a pile of stuff!

I have skew chisels, but end up using my marking knife to clean up tight spots before I remember I should use the skew. I think it is because the knife is always right there, and the skews are in a drawer. More than one way to skin a cat, for sure.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What's the best brand for opening paint cans?
View Quote
You always grab the one your dad loves the most!!
Worked for me was kid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd recommend a set of Marples Blue Chip chisels.  They are undoubtedly good quality and their price is very reasonable.

They easily take a true "scary sharp" edge.  Assuming you know how to achieve that edge, of course.
View Quote
Marples blue handled chisels are, or at least were, very good chisels for the money.  They were made in Sheffield england, maybe still are.

Ebay is a good place, too.  I am pretty fond of the older Witherby "cast steel" chisels.  They take and hold a very sharp edge.   The side  bevels are also not super thick like most modern (cheap) ones are.   Some people like the older Stanley 750s.   Other than my Marples, I don't have any newer made chisels, except for a small Lie Nielsen corner chisel and a couple Jap chisels.
I also have some very old chisels sold by Kmart back in the 70s, made in Japan.  Amazingly they take a wicked sharpe edge, and hold it fairly well.
1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, and 1" would be a very good set

Watch videos on scary sharp sharpening.   A flat surface like an old heavy piece of glass, or one of those 8x12 granite blocks that harbor freight sells, and wet/dry sand paper from 200 to 2000 grit will take care of most of what you need to sharpen.   A sharpening guide is option.  Just like shooting it becomes muscle memory.   And also maybe get a fine grit water stone, like a norton combo stone with 8000 grit to hone.

I like to buy old ones one ebay and rehabilitate them,   Make new handles with the leather impact washers.  Usually out of ash.  As I have a ton of them now, I haven't bought any more in a while.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
this is a good watch.  thanks.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Marples are now coming from Asia. Wranglestar on YouTube likes them a lot.

Irwin Marples that is
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
My one, and only, set of chisels are Stanley's with USA metal. Pretty sure I got them at Lowes 2 years ago for $50. 
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Solid advice in this thread.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://memecrunch.com/meme/1FCS4/hes-a-witch/image.jpg
SACRILIDGE!

Burn the witch!

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:36:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Painters tool has a chisel grind doesn't it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a set of Stanley Bailey (new production) chisels and a set of Narex and both are very good for the money. I also picked up a set from Aldi but I had been checking for about 2 years until they finally had them in stock! Google Paul Sellers videos on how to level them and sharpen them and you’ll have some tools that you really enjoy using.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#29]
No one has yet mentioned Japanese laminated steel chisels.  These would be my next chisel purchases.  Example shown below is just a visual for comparison and is not a brand preference or recommendation.

Between the registered chisels and the skew-blade chisels I own, I have not needed beveled edge chisels.  I have a 24" dovetail jig for the few times I use dovetails, so this purchase is a "want" not a "need".

These would be beveled edge chisels to replace my older Craftsman brand beveled edge chisels that have been in retirement for a long time now.  I use them when there is a risk to the blade such as hidden nails (or opening paint cans, ).  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top