Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2017 8:39:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Kroil, allow it to soak in

Maybe also use the finest grade steel or copper wool on any tougher areas, again, soaked in Kroil
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Electrolysis
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Evaporust
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of folks in the antique business use a molases and water mixture to remove rust without harming paint and other finishes.  I believe it's a 50:50 ratio.  You have to submerge it and let it soak for a couple weeks.  When you take it out I'll be perfectly clean of rust.  The solution is a chelator Google it for more info. Lots of metal detectorist use this to clean finds.  You can also use electrolysis.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also use plain old white vinegar as well to soak it in.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Evaporust
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Vinegar and a couple drops of dawn dish soap
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Vinegar and a couple drops of dawn dish soap
View Quote
I've used vina get on a bucket of hammer heads I had.  Works well, may remove metal on hammer face in weird pattern.   I assumed the deeper etched parts were from work hardening.  The faces reground fine.

Large cast parts I have done electrolysis and sand blasting.  Electrolysis is a big setup but almost no work and it leaves a black oxide coating that's great to paint on.

Sand blasting takes more work and can also give a good surface to paint on.  

I just did a bench vise in a caustic borax solution in a hot ultrasonic bath.  Great for mild rust and oil and grease removal.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Vinegar and molasses I have - electrolysis I don't have and the evaporust I can buy.
View Quote
Electrolysis is pretty easy to do.  You need a power supply, manual battery charger is great.  A rubbermaid tote, 5 gallon bucket, or kiddy pool for the tank.  Steel plate, old mower blades, any unplanned steel to sacrafice.  Some wire to connect plates, a bit more wire to connect part to be cleaned.  Washing soda to make water slightly caustic to allow electrical current to flow through water.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Oxalic acid bath

Evap-O-Rust
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Evaporust
Yep
yep

get it at harbor freight, it works
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Kano Kroil.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Evaporust
View Quote
+1.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
50/50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't suggest vinegar.  I experimented with various methods a couple years ago and vinegar was one.  It got the rust off a pair of channel locks pretty well but it corroded the material.  I used them about 6 months later and they snapped in half.  YMMV.

Evaporust works if you can submerge the item.  Electrolosis works great.  A good old fashion wire wheel on a grinder does pretty darn good too.  WD-40 and Scotch Brite, too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lots of folks in the antique business use a molases and water mixture to remove rust without harming paint and other finishes.  I believe it's a 50:50 1:20 ratio.  You have to submerge it and let it soak for a couple weeks a couple of days at a time.  When you take it out I'll be perfectly clean of rust.  The solution is a chelator Google it for more info. Lots of metal detectorist use this to clean finds.  You can also use electrolysis.
View Quote
FIFY
Used this option on old leatherwork tools

It gets off ALL the finish, not just the rust, so I'd advice caution with this option on anything with a high cash value = solid rusted items will come out plain silver/grey

It IS a really good cheap method to get rid of rust though
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Vinegar and molasses I have - electrolysis I don't have and the evaporust I can buy.
View Quote
If you have a large plastic storage container (really only has to a little longer and wider than what you want to clean, a battery charger, a piece of angle iron from home depot, and some boraxo, and some water, you have electrolytic cleaning.

Search for an article online from woodsmith or shopnotes.  Very simple, and it works pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top