Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2017 10:13:19 AM EDT
What is the current code on how they are supposed to be installed?   Individual State thing?   Also any definitive reason for Ground Up position?

Depending on what you're plugging in sometimes having the Ground Up is a pain if the plugs are polarized.     I just installed a plug in digital timer but due to the polarized plugs it has to be installed upside down.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw title... Was expecting something more appropriate to GD or BOD. 

There is no "three way receptacle". There are 2 arguments for installing the grounding pin up:
  1. When the cord pulls down and the plug partially pulls out, only the ground pin is exposed, and it protects the hot on from stuff dropping in from above.
  2. It doesn't look like a face, and therefore children are not tempted to try to poke it's eyes out.
I've also heard people say that traditional orientation for regular, and pin-up for switched receptacles.

I think NEC is silent, but plenty of stories about local codes requiring it, or just inspectors demanding it as a "correct" practice.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
ground down, last to pull out and first to save you
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the proper way is ground up.

Ground down looks visually the best so that's how you see them generally.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
3 wire outlet?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ground down, last to pull out and first to save you
View Quote
It used to be ground down, but now ground up is recommended.  If the plug is not fully seated and a metal object falls onto the plug it will hit the ground and not short across the hot and common.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you want.

The NEC is silent.

The arguments about the plate coming off are a red herring.

Putting a switched one the opposite of others is relatively common but strictly optional.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only reason I clicked on this thread was to find out what a 3-way receptacle was.
View Quote
Usually has a name like Amber or Nikki.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only reason I clicked on this thread was to find out what a 3-way receptacle was.
Foolish name for a grounding (3-wire) receptacle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Double tap
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW, OP, we wired ours with the ground down and I hate them.

They look like tiny faces showing complete shock.  (not the electrical kind, either)

I would put the ground up if I had it to do over.

With seven of them around my kitchen countertops, I feel like I'm being stared at, and the outlets can't believe what they're seeing.

Ridiculous?  Yes. But it's always before I've had enough coffee to be sane.

FWIW, I hate the stop lights that look like creepy versions of too.

http://www.fototime.com/FDFA206A550574A/standard.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Inside my house has the ground down, in the garage the ground is up.

I watched someone drop some metallic gift-wrap behind her, and it fell perfectly behind a slightly pulled plug- POW!  Nobody got hurt and it didn't trip the breaker, but made a loud pop, flash, and a little smoke.

I don't imagine it would be too much trouble to pull the cover off, pull the two screws, and rotate the outlet if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#14]
As a carpenter who has had his tape measure

snap while taking a measurement and fall on a partially plugged in cord,

I vote, ground up
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I vote, ground up
View Quote
Had a metal fish tape do this once.  Whole damned area of the building was humming.  We now use fiberglass only.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had a metal fish tape do this once.  Whole damned area of the building was humming.  We now use fiberglass only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vote, ground up
LOL!  Only heard that sound once and never want to again!
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any time I was installing receptacles that would have metal covers I installed with ground up so in case the cover came of while something was plugged in the cover would rest on the ground prong, and not the hot/neutral, (at least that's the reason I was given as an apprentice).
View Quote
Had this happen to me with a metal outlet cover a few years ago. The sparks and colors were amazing. In this case, i would also suggest ground up. Otherwise, at home, i replaced all the outlets in the house after purchasing it in 2012(built 1971) and put all grounds down just cause it's what i grew up around in the northeast.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
No code.
Up to town/state inspectors to specify what they think is right. Just talked to an electrician last week about this.  Back in early 2000's late 90's this was a big debate topic.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It used to be ground down, but now ground up is recommended.  If the plug is not fully seated and a metal object falls onto the plug it will hit the ground and not short across the hot and common.
View Quote
Correct.  I have, no shit, seen the results of a three prong with ground down get a paperclip knocked onto the conductors. Big short and melty plastics.  If not noticed and reacted to, it could have caused a fire.  This was in a corporate office, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I go ground up on switched receptacles.  Makes it easy to identify them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#22]
That sounds okay.    I have two switched plugs in my house however only the top receptacles are switched.    The bottom half is wired direct.   No ceiling light.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any time I was installing receptacles that would have metal covers I installed with ground up so in case the cover came of while something was plugged in the cover would rest on the ground prong, and not the hot/neutral, (at least that's the reason I was given as an apprentice).
View Quote
I was given the opposite advice as an apprentice.

Always install receptacles with metal covers ground down except in a hospital so that if they come loose they would short the grounded and ungrounded conductors and trip the breaker.  Better to have the breaker trip than have someone grab it and hit the hot with it.

I just install everything ground down when possible or follow the example of existing receptacles.  I've had a few cases where the wires were too short and the boxes too small to pigtail so I just put them in ground up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#24]
The many thousand of amps that will briefly flow will remove the short rather quickly unless it is solidly held in place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#25]
For what its worth....every hospital I have been to has them ground up. That is where I first noticed it. Now occasionally i see it in homes. My parents builder installed theirs ground up and when they had an electrician over recently he applauded that and said "that is how the pros do it" or something. Makes sense to me to put it ground up for the reasons given.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Down in the USA.  Up in Australia.  Otherwise, it's a sky pin, not a ground pin.  

Personally, I only care that it's consistent.  Ground up looks weird, so there.  Also, I suspect most people will naturally hold a cord with the ground pin down when plugging something in.  Maybe I should apply for a $10 million behavioral study grant!

Curiously, I found this article which ultimately says it doesn't matter, but includes some interesting NEC info.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That sounds okay.    I have two switched plugs in my house however only the top receptacles are switched.    The bottom half is wired direct.   No ceiling light.
View Quote
That's how I always do lamp circuits. Easy to identify the switched outlet
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Just put in all floor boxes so it will not matter. Or sideways or on the ceiling.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just put in all floor boxes so it will not matter. Or sideways or on the ceiling.
View Quote
There is a height limit on receptacles required under the 6 foot rule.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There is a height limit on receptacles required under the 6 foot rule.
View Quote
It was a joke about there being a position requirement for the ground. There is no mention in the post of the outlet being a code required receptacle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 12:35:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Whatever you want.

The NEC is silent.

The arguments about the plate coming off are a red herring.

Putting a switched one the opposite of others is relatively common but strictly optional.
View Quote
Funny thing...  Last summer I was part of a movie being filmed in new orleans - Production had rented some "temporary" office space for about 6 months.  Few offices in the office space had power turned on, most bathrooms were closed, etc as they had a very minimal, quite restrictive lease.

I was plugging in my laptop into the office outlet, and the stainless steel face plate popped off as I wiggled the cord into the outlet.  

Pin down.  Massive shower of sparks.  

All mine at home are pin down, but pin up would have saved me some excitement that day.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#34]
That plate probably would have rocked and made contact with the hot prong with the same result.

Everything I install is ground down and for residential faceplate screws horizontal.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 12:57:02 AM EDT
[#35]
My wife and I have owned 9 homes since we have been married, I don't think any of them ever had ground up. Some were new builds by major developers like Pulte,  others were old houses that have been rehabbed.
Well I've heard about it, I don't remember ever having seen it ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top