Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2017 8:03:47 PM EDT
I'm lost here guys. My wife and I have closed on a great house. Good location, unreal price. It was built (I think) in the 70's. The plumbing is all cast iron. The upstairs toilet stops up about twice a week. I can plunge it and eventually get it to flow. I know all the old plumbing needs to be replaced but I can't afford it right now. Do I have any options? Is there some way to clear the lines (a caustic solution maybe?) or can I have someone clear the drain lines mechanically? Thank ya'll very much for any ideas.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm lost here guys. My wife and I have closed on a great house. Good location, unreal price. It was built (I think) in the 70's. The plumbing is all cast iron. The upstairs toilet stops up about twice a week. I can plunge it and eventually get it to flow. I know all the old plumbing needs to be replaced but I can't afford it right now. Do I have any options? Is there some way to clear the lines (a caustic solution maybe?) or can I have someone clear the drain lines mechanically? Thank ya'll very much for any ideas.
View Quote

We had a similer problem here, house was built in the 50's, we been here 31 years.
Turned out there were roots grown up the septic pipe between the tank and the house. We pulled out a 10' long root clump that let very little stuff get by.
A friend of mine down the road had the same problem with a house he just bought, roots again from the house to the street, he rented a big snake from HD and
ground the roots out with that.
Good luck man.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If the drains run fin except for that toilet, pull it and see if there is something blocking it. Turn it over and look, run coat hanger up and see if it is open.

Could be a toy or a wash cloth, who knows.  

While it is off run a snake down the drain. (rental place).

Wax ring is cheap, usually an easy job.

If it scares you call a plumber.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a better flushing toilet

Toto, Gerber...
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can clear it with a plunger,  then most likely the toilet is the issue.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.
I'll pull the toilet and see if anything is in the line.
Maybe need to look into getting one of the newer toilets. The tank is pretty slow to fill.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Had a similar issue with a 35 YO toilet several years ago. In the end I figured that the bowl (trap) had failed and developed a leak which caused a loss of the siphon through the bowls trap section. New toilet and we were back in the game!
Do yourself a favor and buy a comfort height toilet when you fo.

ETA: If there were roots in the line outside you'd have water filling up the fixtures on the first floor, ask me how I know!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Check your vent for the toilet that is giving you issues. Just run a snake down the vent.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check your vent for the toilet that is giving you issues. Just run a snake down the vent.
View Quote
The suction from the toilet's fast flushing relies on that vent to allow the water to flow down quickly.

Home toilets are S-traps.
Not allowed without a priming system to refill the trap.

And the home toilet has exactly that with the hose from the fill valve into the tank overflow.
A trap primer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top