Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 11:13:17 PM EDT
I picked up a gas stove insert. It has a three inch intake and a three inch vent. There is a six inch liner in the chimney I need to use. Is there any sort of adapter that would allow me to run both lines through this?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Think you could run something like this through your existing pipe?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not so sure about using that, it has two separate pipes which are generally used for a short horizontal run to outside air, one pipe for exhaust one for fresh air intake, you normally see that type of exhaust/intake for water heaters, toyotami or monitor stoves.

Trying to use something like that for a vertical run in an existing liner would run the risk of using exhaust fumes as intake air, unless it actually reached all the way through the existing pipe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm not so sure about using that, it has two separate pipes which are generally used for a short horizontal run to outside air, one pipe for exhaust one for fresh air intake, you normally see that type of exhaust/intake for water heaters, toyotami or monitor stoves.

Trying to use something like that for a vertical run in an existing liner would run the risk of using exhaust fumes as intake air, unless it actually reached all the way through the existing pipe.
View Quote
I was thinking of running that all the way through the OPs existing 6in flue. No clue if it would work but a concentric vent is the way to get fresh air and exhaust through one hole.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw those. I was hoping someone made something like that but much longer. My chimney is close to 40 foot tall. It would cost less to have a professional company install it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
If your current chimney liner is in good shape I would find an adapter.
No sense in doubling up chimneys.

Any HVAC shop could make you one for next to nothing if you can't find one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If your current chimney liner is in good shape I would find an adapter.
No sense in doubling up chimneys.

Any HVAC shop could make you one for next to nothing if you can't find one.
View Quote
It's in ok shape, but for an air intake I'm sure it's fine. I'd just need a three inch line to run through it for a vent, then to get it hooked up some how.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are venting through an existing masonry chimney you should have an aluminum chimney liner installed.  It's basically a long flexible flue pipe that will prevent the flue gasses from coming in contact with the masonry.  You can then use the space between the liner and the masonry as the intake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top