Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 9:13:09 PM EDT
I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier PU with standard transmission that's making a noise now and then.  If I push in the clutch and coast in 2nd or 3rd gear it sometimes makes a soft grinding noise.  Not all the time just sometimes. If it starts to do this and I put it into neutral the noise goes away.  Other than that it runs good, transmission doesn't slip when going through the gears.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know the cause, but that was a symptom that I had just prior to having extreme difficulty shifting into gear, either into first from neutral, or into reverse (Honda CR-V). Car is currently out of commission as I figure out what/where to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
If it only makes the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, it is more than likely the throwout bearing going up.
How many miles are on the transmission?
Are you the original owner (has it been abused)?
Do you have problems shifting it?
Does it make noise when it is in gear and you get off the throttle?
Drain the fluid and see if there is a lot of metal on the drain plug.  That should give you a better idea of the internals.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it only makes the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed, it is more than likely the throwout bearing going up.
How many miles are on the transmission?
Are you the original owner (has it been abused)?
Do you have problems shifting it?
Does it make noise when it is in gear and you get off the throttle?
Drain the fluid and see if there is a lot of metal on the drain plug.  That should give you a better idea of the internals.
View Quote
It's got 150k
Not original owner but has run very well since I bought it 5 years ago
No problems shifting
No noise when off the throttle
Will check fluid later

The noise doesn't happen all the time just sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Driving with your foot resting on the clutch petal is about the fastest way to ruin a throw out bearing. It keeps it in contact with the pressure plate and spinning.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Drain that tranny and replace with AMSOIL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top