Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2017 11:05:46 AM EDT
1974 ranch style home. Front window shown below has a blown seal in the middle main glass. Looking at replacing and have two options.

1) buy a new 10o x 5o window similar what is shown

2) Add two stud fillers and use something like three 3o x 5o or perhaps a 4o in middle....

I think the 10o is really big and the cause of the failure...Thoughts?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace the seal, only.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You can order two or three normal windows and the maker can put them together for you to make one unit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Replace the seal, only.
View Quote
So, someone comes out, disassembles the window, cleans, and replaces the seal?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Replace the seal, only.
Or do it yourself.

From your post, the only problem you described is a leaky seal.  It sounds like an easy $100 DIY effort, rather than a $10k remodel of your front façade.

If you are using this leak as a way to rationalize a complete change (the big bucks option), go for it.

An intermediate position would be to call a glass shop and have them fabricate and install low-e glass inserts for the existing windows.  You'll get your seal problem fixed when they do this.

These are just a few of the options available to you.  I hope they help.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Are those windows single pane? If so, replace them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Window is 15 years old and double pane. Not sure of the energy rating but was installed while I owned the home. Nothing wrong with it except the main glass shows internal hazing. Main view out the front of the house so I'll see what can be done to replace or repair the one bad window.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Window is 15 years old and double pane. Not sure of the energy rating but was installed while I owned the home. Nothing wrong with it except the main glass shows internal hazing. Main view out the front of the house so I'll see what can be done to replace or repair the one bad window.
View Quote
Do you still have the paperwork from when it was replaced?
It is possible it's still under warranty.
I would at least check that first, open the window and look at the jamb or sill for a warranty sticker.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Do you still have the paperwork from when it was replaced?
It is possible it's still under warranty.
I would at least check that first, open the window and look at the jamb or sill for a warranty sticker.
View Quote
I have all receipts and paperwork and will pull later. It's a local made product (within OR). One of the issues is the lower nail lip and a bit of each side was removed. The reason was to fit around the brick. Window with full lip could not be inserted so the installed removed that portion. If I were a company rep out on a claim I would probably use that to say "no-go"...we'll see.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
hazing could be a slight build up of moisture and condensation from the bad seal.  Aren't double pane windows supposed to have a vacuum between the panes?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

hazing could be a slight build up of moisture and condensation from the bad seal.  Aren't double pane windows supposed to have a vacuum between the panes?
View Quote
No, not a vacuum, the window would bow.

They fill them with an inert gas at atmospheric pressure.  Nitrogen is cheap.  Argon is completely inert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top