Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2017 11:31:01 AM EDT
For a couple reasons my Generator is mounted about 90ft from the house and total length of run will be about 110ft.

I'll be burying the wire in the yard from the Gen shed to the house

Amperage of the Gen is 30 amp 7500 watts.

I was going to use a mobile home service entrance wire (4 conductor) to make the run but the wire is a good bit too big to fit the lugs of the gen set.

What would be the recommended wire to run?

This is going to an automatic transfer switch and sub panel in the basement.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Greta idea with the larger wire. Use a 4x4 junction box and a cover with correct generator plug. Use 10 AWG pigtail from receptacle and connect to larger wire. If 4x4 box is too small, buy a larger box. You are on the right track. Even if wire is direct burial, put it in conduit. Also run 2-3/4" conduits for future use. If you get a larger standby generator the conduits will be needed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I would bump it up to 8ga since its a longer run.

voltage drop.

V Drop
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 12:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
And loading the generator past about 60% to 70% is asking for really nasty looking power and a short lifetime.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And loading the generator past about 60% to 70% is asking for really nasty looking power and a short lifetime.
View Quote
Respectfully, not so fast. There are gensets made to be run at 100% load all day long like my MEP-802a.

You aren’t totally wrong but i’s say upwards of 80% would be fine.

Just saying, lets find out what he’s runnin.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Respectfully, not so fast. There are gensets made to be run at 100% load all day long like my MEP-802a.

View Quote
I'm curious too.  He did mention automatic transfer switch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I used 6-3 w/ ground (range cord) for mine.  Probably 50' total run from genny to the generator panel.   30A / 7500W doesn't compute.   Most likely you have 30A protection on each leg of a 240V connection, right?   7500W is probably peaking power if you have something plugged directly into the receptacles directly on the generator itself.

Not sure the lugs on the generator you have though...do you have a 4 pole twist lock connector or actual buss bars?
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:04:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm running a generac propane fueled genset.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Is there a junction box made for 4 conductor hook ups?  I guess I'm picturing 4 studs inside a box.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used 6-3 w/ ground (range cord) for mine.  Probably 50' total run from genny to the generator panel.   30A / 7500W doesn't compute.   Most likely you have 30A protection on each leg of a 240V connection, right?   7500W is probably peaking power if you have something plugged directly into the receptacles directly on the generator itself.

Not sure the lugs on the generator you have though...do you have a 4 pole twist lock connector or actual buss bars?
View Quote
Actual bus bar setup. This isn't a portable gen this is a standby setup
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This.  

A cheaper genset isn't likely to handle the load nearly as well.  A higher-grade generator should shoulder the load with more grace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  

A cheaper genset isn't likely to handle the load nearly as well.  A higher-grade generator should shoulder the load with more grace.
There are generators that are actually damaged by running on too light of a load.  Google "wet stacking generator".  Conventional diesels should run at 60%+ of max rated capacity for best efficiency, etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
You just need a box large enough for mechanical splices like a Polaris connector.

I would say 8x8x4 or 12x12x4 would work.  

If you are hooking up inside the generator you just need the connectors.

#6 copper has a 2.66% voltage drop, #4 is less than 2%

I think you are on the right track upsizing the conductor.

Lowers voltage drop and allows a larger generator install down the road if necessary.

congrats on the generator.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not unless it also has oversize lugs with the correct temperature rating.

Your HOUSE wiring is not designed for 100% loading either.

With a not very large set of resistive loads you can load hgher.
They are not affected by poor waveforms.

Put some electronics or motors on their and bad things happen very quickly.

While the vast majority of electronics immediately rectify and filter to DC some use more efficient switching supplies directly off the AC line.

They will have some filters present but they are mostly designed to prevent noise from going back out into the input supply lines.

Not protecting the electronics in the power supply from noise and transients on the input waveform.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not unless it also has oversize lugs with the correct temperature rating.

Your HOUSE wiring is not designed for 100% loading either.

With a not very large set of resistive loads you can load hgher.
They are not affected by poor waveforms.

Put some electronics or motors on their and bad things happen very quickly.

While the vast majority of electronics immediately rectify and filter to DC some use more efficient switching supplies directly off the AC line.

They will have some filters present but they are mostly designed to prevent noise from going back out into the input supply lines.

Not protecting the electronics in the power supply from noise and transients on the input waveform.
View Quote
Interesting but doesn't have anything to do with my question. But thank you for responding
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#14]
In conduit the entire distance-  #8 THWN.  

Direct burial-  8/3wg type UF-B may also be allowed at your location.

Run those by your local building inspector.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget the Polaris connectors that HandyDave mentioned above.  Note the range of wire sizes, they can vary, to step down (or up ) the wire size at the generator.

One of the items that often lacks in these discussion is total length of run.  For instance, you mentioned 110ft to the panel but is there another 300ft to a well pump?  Voltage drop is cumulative.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the idea of running #8copper to a junction box and then the MHF to the house. However, you could also run #8 copper all the way.

I would get direct burial rated and then put it in conduit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There are generators that are actually damaged by running on too light of a load.  Google "wet stacking generator".  Conventional diesels should run at 60%+ of max rated capacity for best efficiency, etc.
View Quote
That's not what the OP is running though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
derating?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
derating?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
derating?
Make sure the NEC listing for the cable allows use in conduit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top