Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2017 10:52:06 AM EDT
How big  a pile would 4 ton of limestone chips be.   I need to get some limestone chips for ice control this winter.  The place I would like to put the pile is approx 6 ft wide.  It can be as long as needed.  I would like to keep it under 6 ft tall.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be about three yards. I'd guess about 6'x3' with a 2' tall peak to eyeball it. Moisture will play a part on how it spills out of the bed. Obviously the drier it is the more it'll flow and cause a wider rather than taller pile.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#2]
A yard of gravel is around 1.25 tons.  So around 3 yards.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
That sounds about the size i want I think I will make it 5 ton.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Unless you're moving it with a Bobcat, most dump truck beds are going to drop wider than 6 ft.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you're moving it with a Bobcat, most dump truck beds are going to drop wider than 6 ft.
View Quote
This ^^^ most trucks are at least 7 feet wide, you can figure the pile will be at least 3 fee wider than the truck. Unless you can get him backed up perpendicular to the "length" of your pile you'll have to do some shoveling.

That being said, a further factor in pile size is what you mean by "limestone chips". Are you talking unscreened, rough chips from a limestone carving company? Or just crushed limestone gravel? We call that gravel or crushed limestone where I'm from. Will the stone have fines in it? IE, 7s are screened and washed so all the stone is approximately the same size with no fine material. 5 tons of 7s will take up almost twice the space as 5 tons of 73s, which is anything size 7 and smaller. If you're talking about ag-lime size (about the size of a bb-gun bb and smaller) then the pile will be more dense and take up less space.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I will be moving the pile.   The land is not level enough for a truck to dump where i want it so I will use my FEL on my tractor to move it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Grizz what are they charging you per ton? And how do you plan to use it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I will be using it for ice control.  6 ton will cost about $120.  roughly $6 dollar a ton plus $80 delivery.  I looked at renting a trailer and it would cost almost as much as the delivery charge.
So I will probably have it delivered.

Once a year my drive turns to glare ice.  I will use the fel to spread it where I need it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top