Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2017 1:30:58 PM EDT
I want to install a sub panel in my barn. 110v only. A few outlets, and maybe 5 or 6 led lights, a couple dusk to dawn, and some 4 foot shop lights.  220v will never be used out here. I need to run some wire from my main panel, to my barn, mostly attic, but about 50 ft will be underground. About 150 feet total run. I was thinking of running 10/3, with a 30a breaker from the main panel. I have a two story house, and power from the panel is coming in through the brick, through conduit, and dispersed through the walls and such. I think pulling the wire will be a royal pita. I did notice, that there is an unused 10/2 wire, that looks like it was run for a water heater,  and never used. It's fed from a 30a breaker, with the black and white wire coming from the breaker, and of course a bare ground wire connected to a ground bar. My question is, can I use this 10/2 wire to feed a 110v sub panel? I plan on having 2, 15a feeds from it. If so, how do i wire the panel having no neutral?  I did a rough estimate on amp usage from all the lights, and fan that will be used and came up to less than 15. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
10/2 wire should have 3 wires. Black, white, and copper ground. 10/3 should have 4 wires. Black, red, white, copper ground.

Since you aren't running 240 volts you don't need 10/3.

You need burial rated wire to run it underground even if running it in conduit.

The subpanel needs to be in the barn. It sounds like you want to put the subpanel in your house....but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do.

You'll need to run 10/2 from your main panel to a subpanel in the barn. You should also drive a ground rod near the new subpanel and connect it to your ground bar in the new panel.

Where I live running 30amps of 120v is no problem but check to see if you have inspections and required permits in your area.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Separate structure adds a lot of requirements.

Like service entrance and ground rods.

You can also run into issues with only 30 amps depending on the AHJ.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#3]
240v is only one more wire and you will have a gooder balanced load.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The subpanel needs to be in the barn. It sounds like you want to put the subpanel in your house....but maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do.
View Quote
Yes, the sub panel will be in the barn.  Since the black and white wire are coming from the breaker, how do i wire up the sub panel? Treat these two as hots, and install ground bar for the bare wire and wire from ground rod? What about the neutral?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Just read again. You NEED a neutral. The white on the breaker is another hot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I read the responses 3 times, and saw nothing mentioned about a neutral wire, hence the reason I ask. That's the whole reason I asked about using the 10/2 wire, instead of running new 10/3.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I read the responses 3 times, and saw nothing mentioned about a neutral wire, hence the reason I ask. That's the whole reason I asked about using the 10/2 wire, instead of running new 10/3.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without a neutral you have ONLY 240 V.

It would be a very bad idea to try and use the ground to get 120 V since then you would have no ground.

If you need any power pulling in a 4-wire service would be a much better idea.

Hot-hot-neutral-ground.

If you do not understand what you need the neutral for you should NOT be doing this work at all.

Not trying to be a PITA but you have some major gaps in your understanding of 120 V/240 V split phase power.

Dangerous gaps.

The fuse on the lines feeding your house is on the 7,200 V primary side (or even higher primary voltage) of the transformer feeding you 120V/240V.

The available current on those 120V to ground lines is probably around 10,000 amps or more.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Take the white wire off the breaker and put it on the neutral bar.
Now you have 1 hot , 1 neutral, and 1 ground. A 120v feeder.
When you hook up the sub panel, you will jumper the hot to both legs of the panel,
put the neutral wire on the neutral bar, and put the ground wire on the ground bar.
(make sure the ground and neutral are separated in the sub panel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When you hook up the sub panel, you will jumper the hot to both legs of the panel,
put the neutral wire on the neutral bar, and put the ground wire on the ground bar.
View Quote
Thank you for your reply. That is exactly the answer I was looking for.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't use one leg of a 240v breaker though.  You need a specific 120v single pole breaker.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You can't use one leg of a 240v breaker though.  You need a specific 120v single pole breaker.
View Quote
10 4. I bought a 30a single pole earlier.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#12]
It costs so little more to do this right.

Run 240 out there, its only 1 more wire. Gives you a balanced load. Depending on your distance, you could use the 10/3 burial rated wire. You get a black, red, white, green for hot, hot, neutral, ground. You get a properly utilized sub panel with no funny business and twice the capacity for only a few extra bucks.

You can never build a shed too big, or put in too much electrical capacity. If you run a single leg of 30 amp, that will be taken up quickly with a couple outlets (15 amp) and some lights running. All of a sudden you are always tripping your 30 amp and wanting to add more capacity. Maybe you want to weld out there some day.

I would run a 100 amp sub panel, just so its 100 amp, but that is just me. I like sub panels and options down the road.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Run 240 out there, its only 1 more wire. Gives you a balanced load. Depending on your distance, you could use the 10/3 burial rated wire. You get a black, red, white, green for hot, hot, neutral, ground. You get a properly utilized sub panel with no funny business and twice the capacity for only a few extra bucks.

You can never build a shed too big, or put in too much electrical capacity. If you run a single leg of 30 amp, that will be taken up quickly with a couple outlets (15 amp) and some lights running. All of a sudden you are always tripping your 30 amp and wanting to add more capacity. Maybe you want to weld out there some day.

I would run a 100 amp sub panel, just so its 100 amp, but that is just me. I like sub panels and options down the road.
View Quote
This^^^
The added cost to run 240 (at the same current) is the addition of a SINGLE wire in your bundle, it's silly not to. IE, 10/2 vs 10/3 doubles the amount of available power but only requires the 3rd current carrying conductor (red wire) in the bundle. Your sub-panel stays the same, your trenching stays the same. Everything stays the same except the cost of the wire. And you can use the existing double-pole breaker instead of buying a new one (which likely offsets the wire cost significantly).

Furthermore, separate structure requires separate ground rod as brickeye said. However, if I understand correctly, if you wanted to run individual circuits to a separate structure you wouldn't need the new ground rod. If you ONLY want 2 circuits out there I would run 12/3 and do a multi-wire branch circuit. This would be the absolute cheapest/easiest option and there would be no panel or breakers in the barn.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, I think this is the route I'm forced to take. Other options I had were almost impossible due to my set up. I will run 10/3 wire with a double pole 30a breaker. I did buy a 100a panel. Im kinda glad I was forced to go this route. I didn't really want to use the 10/2. Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure you take distance into consideration. May not be able to push 30 amps though if its a long run.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure in your sub panel that you keep the ground and neutral separate, and put proper grounding at the sub panel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Make sure you take distance into consideration. May not be able to push 30 amps though if its a long run.
View Quote
Yes. I would lean towards 8/3WG. OP mentioned a 150ft and that excludes the distance to the transformer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.  Current use tends to increase dramatically over time.  Plus, lots of fun things, like compressors and welders, need 240v to be practical.  Think about your needs down the road.  You can never have too much current, unless you personally are in the circuit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes. I would lean towards 8/3WG. OP mentioned a 150ft and that excludes the distance to the transformer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm. 150ft should give a 15 amp breaker on 8 ga wire IIRC.

Found the table:
cable gauge/distance/amperage chart

ETA: The short of it is OP will need a 6ga for 30 amp, 8ga for 20 amp, and the 10/3 combo will mean 15 amp breakers. That is for copper. Big copper costs big $$, that is why I use aluminum feeder cable for a 90 amp sub panel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hmm. 150ft should give a 15 amp breaker on 8 ga wire IIRC.

Found the table:
cable gauge/distance/amperage chart

ETA: The short of it is OP will need a 6ga for 30 amp, 8ga for 20 amp, and the 10/3 combo will mean 15 amp breakers. That is for copper. Big copper costs big $, that is why I use aluminum feeder cable for a 90 amp sub panel.
View Quote
Those numbers are nuts, seem like they are miscalculated for 220/240 and are for a hypothetical max current draw and limiting voltage drop to 3 percent.  There is no code requirement to limit voltage drop thusly, merely a mandate that any equipment not be tasked to operate for a voltage outside of its labeled range.

This calculator gives much more useful results with actual numbers and percentages for difference setups, showing that 10/3 would be fine at 30 amps/150 feet, resulting in a voltage drop from 240vac to 231 VAC, or 3.75 percent- which would be tolerable and only ever occur at a max 30A draw, not likely under the intended usage.  Upsize one size if you feel like it, OP, but I wouldn't even think about attempting to put #6 on a 30A breaker.

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=240&phase=ac&noofconductor=1&distance=150&distanceunit=feet&eres=30&x=49&y=27
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Those numbers are nuts, seem like they are miscalculated for 220/240 and are for a hypothetical max current draw and limiting voltage drop to 3 percent.  There is no code requirement to limit voltage drop thusly, merely a mandate that any equipment not be tasked to operate for a voltage outside of its labeled range.

This calculator gives much more useful results with actual numbers and percentages for difference setups, showing that 10/3 would be fine at 30 amps/150 feet, resulting in a voltage drop from 240vac to 231 VAC, or 3.75 percent- which would be tolerable and only ever occur at a max 30A draw, not likely under the intended usage.  Upsize one size if you feel like it, OP, but I wouldn't even think about attempting to put #6 on a 30A breaker.

http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html?material=copper&wiresize=3.277&voltage=240&phase=ac&noofconductor=1&distance=150&distanceunit=feet&eres=30&x=49&y=27
View Quote
I agree, the wire charts put out by cerrowire and a few others are very suspect.

Also, voltage drop is more-so dependent on what your line voltage actually runs at your panel. If the OP is already at 230 volts then a 9 volt drop is going to be more critical than if he is at 250 volts at his panel.

In rural areas voltage at the panel can be all over the place depending on where a person is on the primary line (near a sub-station vs at the end of a primary run); IE, my L1 to L2 voltage has been 248 volts give or take a couple volts every time I check it. I can get away with some pretty crazy voltage drop without causing harm to equipment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I wish my electrical inspector would agree with you guys. The mantra is "by manufacturer specifications", and we get cerrowire around here. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree, the wire charts put out by cerrowire and a few others are very suspect.

Also, voltage drop is more-so dependent on what your line voltage actually runs at your panel. If the OP is already at 230 volts then a 9 volt drop is going to be more critical than if he is at 250 volts at his panel.

In rural areas voltage at the panel can be all over the place depending on where a person is on the primary line (near a sub-station vs at the end of a primary run); IE, my L1 to L2 voltage has been 248 volts give or take a couple volts every time I check it. I can get away with some pretty crazy voltage drop without causing harm to equipment.
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Run 6/3 wg for 150'. Run for 240 V. 100 amp minimum sub-panel. If you try to use 120 V, you will regret it later, trust me. Do it right the first time. FYI: Square D sub-panel, using HOM breakers, max wire size is 10 AWG. You can use a reducer to drop from 6 AWG to 10 AWG. Just keep it short. 6" or less. I just installed a new RV 30 A line, 85' or so. I replaced the existing 12 AWG that a prior "electrician" ran. I was having issues with low voltage. 107.4 V at any outlet in the RV. Now I have 119.2 V with the A/C running.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Run 6/3 wg for 150'. 
View Quote
Price that out though. Around here, 6/3 copper costs more than 2-2-2-4 aluminum MHF (mobile home feeder) and you would have 90 amp service with the MHF aluminum wire.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't believe people are seriously telling this guy to run 6-3, which won't even fit into his breaker, to a subpanel for 30A.  I guess the modification instructions are helpful.

Voltage drop at the full 30 amps with 8-3 = 2.35 percent.  No reason outside of future expansion to waste the money or go through the effort of 6 AWG in this situation, especially since he's describing modest usage at best.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Price that out though. Around here, 6/3 copper costs more than 2-2-2-4 aluminum MHF (mobile home feeder) and you would have 90 amp service with the MHF aluminum wire.
View Quote
My total cost was $297 for the job. I did not have to buy the sub-panel as it was already in place. I had to buy 2 new breakers, as the prior "electrician" had put the wrong ones in the sub-panel. I paid $156 for a 125' roll of 6/2 wg. All the other material costs were in line with expected prices. I am personally not a fan of aluminum wire. It is notorious for loosening at connections and caused many mobile home fires in the past
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I can't believe people are seriously telling this guy to run 6-3, which won't even fit into his breaker, to a subpanel for 30A.  I guess the modification instructions are helpful.

Voltage drop at the full 30 amps with 8-3 = 2.35 percent.  No reason outside of future expansion to waste the money or go through the effort of 6 AWG in this situation, especially since he's describing modest usage at best.
View Quote
The "modest" usage has a tendency to grow as time goes on. And the gauge is recommended due to the distance, and is in line with every wire gauge vs amperage chart I have seen, including one that was linked in this post.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#29]
[qu fs.[bd
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My total cost was $297 for the job. I did not have to buy the sub-panel as it was already in place. I had to buy 2 new breakers, as the prior "electrician" had put the wrong ones in the sub-panel. I paid $156 for a 125' roll of 6/2 wg. All the other material costs were in line with expected prices. I am personally not a fan of aluminum wire. It is notorious for loosening at connections and caused many mobile home fires in the past
View Quote
Aluminum wire is a thing of the past. Aluminum service entrance cable is just fine. The vast majority of houses in this country use aluminum cable to provide service to the house. The wires that carry the power to your house are mostly aluminum. There is nothing wrong with aluminum service entrance cable.

It does need to be tightened correctly and you should also use noalox paste but as long as you do that, you won't have any issues.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The fuse on the lines feeding your house is on the 7,200 V primary side (or even higher primary voltage) of the transformer feeding you 120V/240V.

The available current on those 120V to ground lines is probably around 10,000 amps or more.
View Quote
So what exactly does this have to do with OP's question?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top