Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2017 11:36:54 PM EDT
Finishing a couple areas in my unfinished basement and need some ideas for LED can lights prior to drywall.  Going to install 4 can lights, one in each corner of a 12'x15' room.  I want LED and I want 6" cans mounted between the joists(on 16" centers).  After looking on amazon, there are SO many different options, I don't even know where to begin.  Big box stores seam really expensive at about $10 per can and around $30 for the LED insert.  I don't even know the color spectrum I would want.

What are good new construction LED cans out there for decent prices?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Use a standard can light and put in a led trim.
I got all my cans from contractor lighting.com
You can get about 650 lumensfrom a 4" can and 1200 from a 6"
Nicor is a brand I use most of the time.

You should be able to get a can and led trim for under $20
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Cans are obsolete.

If you want the recessed light look, get these surface mount downlights. They make 'em square and round.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-SLD-5-in-and-6-in-Matte-White-Integrated-LED-Low-Profile-Recessed-Surface-Mount-Disk-Light-90-CRI-3000K-Soft-White-SLD606930WHR/204732275

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gang-20-cu-in-New-Work-Ceiling-Box-with-Captive-Nails-B520A-UPC/205322767

They fit in normal cheap junction boxes and you don't have large gaps from the space cans take up for insulation(thermal or noise). Plus, they are much easier to seal tight to the ceiling unlike can inserts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top