Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 5:36:49 PM EDT
Especially in 90 degree heat and humidity...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one to do Monday going into basement with a turned back platform  on a house I just built for a customer, it will sure be doing the trusses
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You could just buy the pre-cut ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Pffftt!!! Where's the fun in that? Besides, that many steps would be custom millwork order around here.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
It doesn't work that easy... if you do the math on your stairs, around here you can only be 3/16 different in your steps ( although I prefer about 1/16) you would have to have a whole lot of luck on your side for pre-cut to workout
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree.

You're not doing yourself any favors by working over concrete in the heat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a brag thread

Op, you have a lot of meat behind your cuts, are those 10" treads?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a brag thread

Op, you have a lot of meat behind your cuts, are those 10" treads?
View Quote
Yup. I'm gonna try a one inch overhang on the steps. My daughter gets final approval, tho'... Its her house...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It's nice you're helping her.  

I love those Jorgensen clamps, they hold very well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to cut the stringers for my deck steps. the house i bought came with the wood and a half finished deck.

I was planning on buying one of the 3 step stringers as a template and using my circular to cut them.

How do I measure how long I need to cut the stringer itself and how do I connect it to the deck? Joist hangers?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I need to cut the stringers for my deck steps. the house i bought came with the wood and a half finished deck.

I was planning on buying one of the 3 step stringers as a template and using my circular to cut them.

How do I measure how long I need to cut the stringer itself and how do I connect it to the deck? Joist hangers?
View Quote
You can start with a stair calculator such as

http://www.mycarpentry.com/stair-calculator.html

Just plug in your "rise" and "run". The page does the figurin'. If its only three steps, just buy ready made. Unless you *REALLY* want to learn how to make stringers...

They make a joist hanger just for stair stringers. Its an angle bracket.

Good luck. Post pics
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:05:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently helped a neighbor cut some stringers for his deck stairs. I just used a framing square and a set of stair gauges to lay it out. Easy, peasy.

Stair gauge set + Framing square.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the paintbrush for?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I recently helped a neighbor cut some stringers for his deck stairs. I just used a framing square and a set of stair gauges to lay it out. Easy, peasy.

View Quote
^^this. Laying out stairs with a speed square (not saying that's what you did) must be masochistic. With a set of gauges and the ability to divide you can lay them out in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:42:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What's the paintbrush for?
View Quote
Brush dust off the next line. Ain't nobody wants that green treated saw dust on them...
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I added a few feet to my favorite daughter's front porch deck. Then I ran steps down the side of the house. The old steps were narrow concrete. Each step was a different size and shape. Almost like they poured them one at a time... Old house has no straight lines or square corners...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Everything you need to know about building stairs here.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll have to get a few pics when finished. Only trouble is, every time I take a photo, something looks distorted. "Crooked as a Kentucky judge" as my late uncle used to say.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I still have a set of the stair buttons (gauge) in my toolbox that I haven't touched in 15 years. I couldn't live without them. They are a big time saver. I fabricated industrial stairs, ships ladders, ladders, and later in my career drew up blueprints for stairs and such. I also worked on fabricating the brass spiral stairs in the Renaissance Center in downtown Detroit, Mich, back in 1974.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reminds me I seem to have misplaced these

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't done any stairs or rafters lately?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me I seem to have misplaced these

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiS-c8S4clrmqA7U9Be2cfEPoqlF0k6rz35GI2Hp5YJ3b1hqDgt3-wZ2Yi3wQg2IAoJyi7fH9haQ&usqp=CAc
Those are less than $4.00 at Lowes. Almost easier to buy a set than spend all morning looking for your set. Which is why I'll probably have a 1/2 dozen before I leave this world...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top