Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 11:10:31 PM EDT
My wife and I are moving. We found a house we love and that we can afford, but I'm worried about this crack in the foundation. House was built in 2001.  The owners have lived there for 8 years and they say it has not grown since they bought it. My FIL knows the owners and they are great people.  There is only the garage there, there is no basement near this spot.  There are no cracks anywhere in the garage floor. Is this a one time.e settling issue or could this lead to a huge headache?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Inside garage, you can see daylight, but there are no cracks in the garage floor.
Attachment Attached File

The pic is crooked, but the wall looks straight.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be very hesitant to buy that house.  Too much risk IMO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Run don't walk away.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be surprised if a lending institution would finance that without provision by current owner for repair first.

ETA: I can't believe current owner didn't push issue with original owner before sale, or that original owner didn't sue builder.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My house has a crack similar in every corner, just not as wide.
It is a 1960's build, though.
Not sure I would buy a "newish" house with the problem.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
the only way to know is hire a structural engineer and put epoxied glass across the crack and wait several thaw  freeze cycles to know if that crack is active because the footings are not deep enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:02:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like every block foundation I've ever seen here in the Midwest. 
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just going to be a matter of time before we get 'Front fell off' pix and story.

DHR is in Nebraska?
Tornado zone, with that underpinning holding the house to one spot, when it's having issues doing it in sunshine?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I bet that kickout on the downspout wasnt there originally and the water caused the settling.

*If* that is the only crack in the foundation I might not walk away, but I would demand the seller fix it - per the specs of a structural engineer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't look like so much as a bond beam in there.  Don't know much about residential cmu construction, but shouldn't the top course be u-block w/ a couple horizontal rebar and grouted full?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Run  and run as fast as possible
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Rob, is that a hip roof?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rob, is that a hip roof?
View Quote
I have no idea what that is, please explain.

I have another thread in team, here's my response...

I'll try to answer a few questions,..

There is no crack in the slab. The garage is tall enough for a camper and a car, and it's over two cars deep. You can actually fit two cars and have several feet til the back wall.

We voiced our concerns to our relator, he told their selling agent and they reportedly had two people inspect it. While they weren't foundation experts, they voiced no concern. That boggles my mind. I told our realtor that if we put in an offer, it'd be low and inspected by a foundation expert.

The sellers are very motivated to sell, they are building a new and bigger house elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bet that kickout on the downspout wasnt there originally and the water caused the settling.

*If* that is the only crack in the foundation I might not walk away, but I would demand the seller fix it - per the specs of a structural engineer.
View Quote
I would go this route ^^^^
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Walk away.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Have a foundation expert inspect it. If he says it can be fixed, get a quote and tell the sellers you want that much off the price + 10%....assuming the price is decent for the area.

Here's something to think about....sellers want out of the house.....maybe they know something you don't and they want to get out before the garage falls off.

I would run away from this one but do not consider buying it unless a foundation EXPERT (not a general contractor) looks at it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is no crack in the slab. The garage is tall enough for a camper and a car, and it's over two cars deep. You can actually fit two cars and have several feet til the back wall.

We voiced our concerns to our relator, he told their selling agent and they reportedly had two people inspect it. While they weren't foundation experts, they voiced no concern. That boggles my mind. I told our realtor that if we put in an offer, it'd be low and inspected by a foundation expert.

The sellers are very motivated to sell, they are building a new and bigger house elsewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rob, is that a hip roof?

Google "hip roof images".

It's a four or three sided roof system ( three if it's attached to another building) ..  That roof framing method puts additional weight on the outside corners.

Several folks in this thread and the one that I just read in team said "run away".  I understand why they say that but if you like the house and location that corner can be repaired but the current owner would have to make a cost adjustment, assuming the property isn't already a heck of a deal...

I'll tell you what I don't like in your pics.  The top course of block isn't core filled with grout.  The corner block aren't filled all the way down to the concrete footing.  There isn't a termite shield over the hollow cores.  Those items suggest that it was built by a rookie...

Having said that, if you like the property, I wouldn't run away if the financial terms are favorable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Google "hip roof images".

It's a four or three sided roof system ( three if it's attached to another building) ..  That roof framing method puts additional weight on the outside corners.

Several folks in this thread and the one that I just read in team said "run away".  I understand why they say that but if you like the house and location that corner can be repaired but the current owner would have to make a cost adjustment, assuming the property isn't already a heck of a deal...

I'll tell you what I don't like in your pics.  The top course of block isn't core filled with grout.  The corner block aren't filled all the way down to the concrete footing.  There isn't a termite shield over the hollow cores.  Those items suggest that it was built by a rookie...

Having said that, if you like the property, I wouldn't run away if the financial terms are favorable.
View Quote
Mentioned that earlier.   Top course should look like:

Attachment Attached File

Around here I believe vertical cells have to be solid grouted w/ vertical bar 32" o.c. and at openings

Have to wonder what is holding the framing down if the top course isn't grouted?   Should have 5/8" anchors 6' o.c. and at corners and at openings.

It can be fixed, but you'll want some $ allowance for it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife and I talked quite a bit and I think we'll skip it for now. We'll keep it in the back of our minds in case they drop it or if we really feel like fixing it. The knowledge and help available here amazes me.

But just for giggles here's the front and rear of the garage....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if the footings aren't deep enough for the Nebraska winters.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#20]
OP here, wife and I found another house we love. We bought a different house last night.

Thanks all the insight!
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats!!! There is a safe forum here for when you are ready to build your gun safe room.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Congrats!!! There is a safe forum here for when you are ready to build your gun safe room.
View Quote
LOL!  very funny @xeeoneyx. no way in hell can i afford that now!  i'm not the typical arfcom millionaire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top