Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2017 3:21:08 PM EDT
I am looking for an 8" jointer with helical head.  Parallelogram beds are not a necessity since I will not be changing bed height often (and don't mind adding a shim when setting up).  I will face joint then move to the planer to thickness boards.  220v is available so no issue there.

One problem is I will be moving at least 3 times in the next 4 years, so weight/mobility are also big priorities.  A mobile base will be added if it is not included.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
So far I am pleased with the Cutech I bought. They make an 8" with carbide blades that is pretty cheap, 450

Jointer
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far I am pleased with the Cutech I bought. They make an 8" with carbide blades that is pretty cheap, 450

Jointer
View Quote
I would prefer something with a solid cast iron table.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a funny aside.

I spoke with one of employees of Cutech and he told me that a fellow uses the 8in carbide jointer to do large timbers; except instead of putting the timbers on the tool, he uses the jointer as a hand planer and runs it over the logs while they lie on the ground with the jointer inverted.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jointer
Mine is an older 8 inch wide 72 inch long Grizzly.

They have some new ones with insert style spiral cutter-heads.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an 8" INCA jointer/planer.  I almost never use it.  It just sits gathering dust.

I use my hand planes, including a BIG jointer plane, a lot more than I use the jointer.

Suggestion - don't bother with a jointer.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here is a funny aside.

I spoke with one of employees of Cutech and he told me that a fellow uses the 8in carbide jointer to do large timbers; except instead of putting the timbers on the tool, he uses the jointer as a hand planer and runs it over the logs while they lie on the ground with the jointer inverted.
View Quote
Not so funny when you think about it.  Sounds good to me.  

Did he rig some sort of handle and guards with a "dead man switch"?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
They're all about the same at the 8" variety when you add a helical head. You're paying for better QC and warranty really.

I have a Powermatic, no complaints. Grizzly gets good reviews as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got the parallelogram Grizzly and installed a Byrd head. I love it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 8" Powermatic 60HH. I works amazing...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
In for more info and options:   I'm either buying a 6" or 8" powermatic Helical Head planer this week.  Probably the 6" because its cheaper....and I haven't learned all my lessons yet. 
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a powermatic 54HH and so with I got an 8 inch jointer instead.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have the Grizzly 8" spherical ?  Seems to be the price of the powermatic 6" HH.  Is grizzly still hit or miss?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone have the Grizzly 8" spherical ?  Seems to be the price of the powermatic 6" HH.  Is grizzly still hit or miss?  
View Quote
From my research, it appears it is still hit or miss.  You have to spend more time setting it up and occasionally have to readjust the beds (assuming you are talking about the non-parallegram model).  There is also a backorder for most models on the website.

I decided on the Powermatic 60HH.  It should be delivered in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
From my research, it appears it is still hit or miss.  You have to spend more time setting it up and occasionally have to readjust the beds (assuming you are talking about the non-parallegram model).  There is also a backorder for most models on the website.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At what price compared to a Grizzly?

For a pro shop that has to pay for setup it might be a wash.
For a home shop you are paying to save YOUR time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A significant increase. Grizzly 8" jointers are around $1300 (varies with model), the Powermatic is $2300.

I decided this was a once in a lifetime purchase, and (for me in my situation) the cost wasn't an important factor.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the Powermatic 60HH with a helical head. It does a way better job than regular jointer blades.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy once. Cry once.

Link

Same unit with HH.

HH Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top