Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2017 9:39:42 AM EDT
Hi,

I recently moved into a new house, it's got an unfinished basement with a hot water heater there.  Two of the bathrooms are 100 feet apart, and the kitchen is about in between them.

The issue I am having is when I turn on the hot water, it takes forever (like 2 full minutes) for hot water to be available in the showers, kitchen sink, or any of the bathrooms.  I believe this is probably due to the long runs of copper pipe from the heater to the faucets, combined with a relatively cold basement which allows the water in the pipes to be cold.

This is wasting a lot of water and is annoying.

Here are my ideas:

1.  Install some small, electric on-demand heaters under the sinks to hasten the flow of hot water
2.  Put some sort of recirculating loop with a pump or something to keep it all warm
3.  Insulate the pipes
4.  ?

I've never seen a place that takes so long to give me hot water.  Even the kitchen, which is closest to the hot water heater takes more than 30 seconds of full flow hot water to get warm, and then gradually gets hot.  When I do get hot water, it's exceptionally hot, scalding hot (I turned up the heater to try to help this issue) so it's there but just takes forever.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Added a recirculator in my home, scheduled to run during the morning and evening.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Insulate all the exposed pipe you can reach no matter what else you do.

Re-circ as mentioned above is cheaper than a Rinnai, but it wastes the heating energy on the days you're not using the hot water while it's circulating and losing energy through the insulation.
It doesn't help if you want to use hot water before it turns on, or after it shuts down and the water cools in the pipes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a system that is similar to a recirculator, but doesn't waste hot water when not in use.  Essentially, it is a pump at the point of use (e.g. kitchen sink).  When you demand hot water, the system detects the temperature of the hot water line.  If the temp is below a certain threshold, it opens a valve between the hot and cold lines, and turns on a pump, directing the water in the hot water line to the cold water line.  The water in the hot line flows back through the cold water line, allowing hot water to flow from the heater to the point of use more quickly and without wasting any water, as the bypassed water never leaves the plumbing, and flows back into the water heater.  This requires only small modifications to your water supply (e.g. one pump/valve at each bathroom and one in the kitchen).  This is called a demand system.  It won't give instant hot water, as the water still has to flow from the water heater, but it will let you get hot water to or very near your faucet before you turn it on, so you don't send all that water to the drain.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a system that is similar to a recirculator, but doesn't waste hot water when not in use.  Essentially, it is a pump at the point of use (e.g. kitchen sink).  When you demand hot water, the system detects the temperature of the hot water line.  If the temp is below a certain threshold, it opens a valve between the hot and cold lines, and turns on a pump, directing the water in the hot water line to the cold water line.  The water in the hot line flows back through the cold water line, allowing hot water to flow from the heater to the point of use more quickly and without wasting any water, as the bypassed water never leaves the plumbing, and flows back into the water heater.  This requires only small modifications to your water supply (e.g. one pump/valve at each bathroom and one in the kitchen).  This is called a demand system.  It won't give instant hot water, as the water still has to flow from the water heater, but it will let you get hot water to or very near your faucet before you turn it on, so you don't send all that water to the drain.

Mike
View Quote
These systems are terrible... last house had one, nothing like turning on the cold only to get blazing hot water

Just put in a recirculating line, especially if you have basement access to the plumbing. The difference is amazing! Recirculators don't waste any water, they simply move it around the house so it's ready when you want it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Re-circ as mentioned above is cheaper than a Rinnai, but it wastes the heating energy on the days you're not using the hot water while it's circulating and losing energy through the insulation.
It doesn't help if you want to use hot water before it turns on, or after it shuts down and the water cools in the pipes.
View Quote
I like the recirc idea, and have full access to the basement of course.  The wait for hot water annoys the shit out of me, so I couldn't care less about a few bucks on my nat gas bill per month.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking into the Chilipepper recirculator as it has a switch to turn it on rather than setting a timer. They even have a new version that has a wired push-button as well as a wireless button so it can be turned on from multiple locations (or you can buy extra wireless fobs).
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
First world problems

I have to wait too long for my hot water

How big are the water lines? If they are larger than normal that could be a factor. Faucets and shower heads are pretty low flow. If your pipes are even 1 size up they hold a lot more water and will take a lot longer for it to flow out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
What about installing a booster or instant electric water inline at the sink?

I'm having the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the recirc idea, and have full access to the basement of course.  The wait for hot water annoys the shit out of me, so I couldn't care less about a few bucks on my nat gas bill per month.  Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use enough insulation on the lines.

If your schedule is consistent they work well.

There are multiple ways to rig them to turn on if desired.

I built a motion sensor system for one customer.

When anyone moved in a bathroom it turned the pump on.
A separate 7 day timer handled the kitchen sink.

Smaller electric tanks in remote rooms can help also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:56:21 PM EDT
[#11]
4. Install a three or four gallon water heater under the sink at your point of use. It'll give you instant hot water until the main heater water gets there. They are cheap, run on 120v and are easy to install. They don't waste water or electricity.

I have one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stiebel-Eltron-SHC-2-5-gal-2-Year-Electric-Point-of-Use-Mini-Tank-Water-Heater-SHC-2-5/204859243
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife bitched complained about the amount of water that is wasted getting hot water to the sinks and showers. I went the Watts Recirculator route with two of the return valves. It has satisfied her. As to how much $ it saves? Our water bill was almost never over the minimum. But we are heating the wall voids where the pipes that I can't insulate run. Not an issue when it's cold. And there is a timer that can be set to run continuously or strategically set in 15 minute increments. I unplug the pump when we leave for a few days. You will find that cold water at the at the return valves will be around 90° as the valve stops returning when the hot side gets to 100°. I gave about $200 for mine with an extra return valve about 3 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top