Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2017 4:08:52 PM EDT
All I can find online are plans for a flat roof supported off a ledger board secured to the house. I'm trying to build a hip roof patio cover, secured to the wall of my house. Ive seen where I can tack the rafter up against the house, cut the siding out, and then secure the rafters to the house.
My biggest problem, that I'm aware of, is that I have no clue how to size the rafters or the beams I need to project out from the house and from column to column.
Help?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
How big of a roof do you want?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think I would see if I could fine a framing carpenter and pay him for a few hours to get the project started, then once the part I didnt understand was done I could take it from there. Be careful that you dont cut too deep and hit wires or pipes.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How big of a roof do you want?
View Quote
About 32' wide and 16' deep. 9"8" AG, then about 36" to peak.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I would see if I could fine a framing carpenter and pay him for a few hours to get the project started, then once the part I didnt understand was done I could take it from there. Be careful that you dont cut too deep and hit wires or pipes.
View Quote
I've tried that with two carpenter friends. Everybody's slammed.
I'm in the Trades, so some familiarity with not letting the smoke or water out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the roof line running the same direction as the patio cover? You are into an Engineered solution, what does city/county say?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the roof line running the same direction as the patio cover? You are into an Engineered solution, what does city/county say?
View Quote
Aanndd, you just stepped into my ignorance zone.
This is a two story house. The patio cover will be out back on a flat wall, couple feet above the first-floor top plate.
City has given me now real guidance at this point. Example drawings don't address this design type and I need to come up with something for the permit application.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to learn two new words -

Architecture (for you)

Structural Design (for the City)

Okay, so it's three words but it is two different topics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Architecture (for you)

View Quote
Thank you, you've been very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Did you consider installing a big aluminum awning over the patio?
SEARS used to sell carport kits that may be what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did you consider installing a big aluminum awning over the patio?
SEARS used to sell carport kits that may be what you are looking for.
View Quote
Trying to enhance resale.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#11]
So something like this?

You mention 32' length, 16' depth, 9' 8" above ground (on the low side?), +36" (so 12' 8" on the high side?) means a 10.6* angle, 2.3 / 12 pitch, 195.3" rafter [before overhang].

Sounds like removal of some veneer on the house to install a ledger and flashing, and you'd want to auger / tube / pour the concrete for the support footers (if grass).  I would do at least 24" OC 2x10 rafters topped with 3/4" ply, with at least 6x6 supports a minimum of every 8'.  Your lower support beam would need to be pretty beefy as well to carry the span, maybe a 4x10 microbeam?  I would also use metal hangers and plates to tie everything together (for wind loading).

Just my thoughts, if I was going to build such.  Also, you'd have to be careful with roofing selection, a 2.3 / 12 pitch is pretty low for most shingles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So something like this?

http://masterroofinginc.com/wp-content/uploads/bfi_thumb/Two-Story-Wall-Mount-Patio-Cover-web-mal3ff7vm6t1ni1rpfxqzn5yp97tgp5l3f897as4ts.jpg

You mention 32' length, 16' depth, 9' 8" above ground (on the low side?), +36" (so 12' 8" on the high side?) means a 10.6* angle, 2.3 / 12 pitch, 195.3" rafter [before overhang].

Sounds like removal of some veneer on the house to install a ledger and flashing, and you'd want to auger / tube / pour the concrete for the support footers (if grass).  I would do at least 24" OC 2x10 rafters topped with 3/4" ply, with at least 6x6 supports a minimum of every 8'.  Your lower support beam would need to be pretty beefy as well to carry the span, maybe a 4x10 microbeam?  I would also use metal hangers and plates to tie everything together (for wind loading).

Just my thoughts, if I was going to build such.  Also, you'd have to be careful with roofing selection, a 2.3 / 12 pitch is pretty low for most shingles.
View Quote
Almost like that, just a hip instead of a flat roof.
Thx!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
engineered trusses sound like the way to go. you'll probably want to set a couple of posts at the house and a couple/3 the the out side away from the house. look online for an appropriately sized header, one for each side, set said header on top of posts on each 16 ft side, attach trusses appropriately. deck it,use whatever roofing you choose, trim it, call it good.pretty simple process. i'd build it for you, but you'd have to fly me out on weekends.

ETA: you'll need to have appropriately sized footings for your posts in your plans
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
engineered trusses sound like the way to go. you'll probably want to set a couple of posts at the house and a couple/3 the the out side away from the house. look online for an appropriately sized header, one for each side, set said header on top of posts on each 16 ft side, attach trusses appropriately. deck it,use whatever roofing you choose, trim it, call it good.pretty simple process. i'd build it for you, but you'd have to fly me out on weekends.

ETA: you'll need to have appropriately sized footings for your posts in your plans
View Quote
That's the problem, I don't know how to appropriately size a header.
I figured two posts, about 16' out from the house and centered on the little breakfast nook bump out we have.That puts them 10' apart, so another post 10' to each side of them, tied into the house with headers sitting on the first-floor top plate. I don't know how to size the headers coming out from the house.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Architecture (for you)

Really, you should talk to a structural engineer to get a design that meets your local codes and will be safe.  You should talk to an architect to get a design that looks nice and blends into the rest of the house.  This will make the new construction an asset rather than a liability during resale.

I inferred from your questions that you do not have competency in either area, so I thought I'd suggest those two things.  I may not understand your post or your capabilities, however, I was genuinely trying to help.

Please note the discussion of "engineered trusses" sized for your application.  Also, tying the new roof into the old (hip roof) is a substantial change, well beyond the complexity of adding a ledger board to the side wall of the house.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Find a lumber yard near you that builds the trusses in house.  They should be able to draw up and size the trusses, and possibly the headers.

Take a picture of where you want it to go, along with exact measurements and they should be able to help you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Really, you should talk to a structural engineer to get a design that meets your local codes and will be safe.  You should talk to an architect to get a design that looks nice and blends into the rest of the house.  This will make the new construction an asset rather than a liability during resale.

I inferred from your questions that you do not have competency in either area, so I thought I'd suggest those two things.  I may not understand your post or your capabilities, however, I was genuinely trying to help.

Please note the discussion of "engineered trusses" sized for your application.  Also, tying the new roof into the old (hip roof) is a substantial change, well beyond the complexity of adding a ledger board to the side wall of the house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Architecture (for you)

Thx! ;)
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Find a lumber yard near you that builds the trusses in house.  They should be able to draw up and size the trusses, and possibly the headers.

Take a picture of where you want it to go, along with exact measurements and they should be able to help you.
View Quote
Seriously this.  Our local lumber yard works with a local truss company and will design whatever trusses and headers a local wants to build.

Your header sizing to support the outer end of the trusses or rafters will depend on the spacing between the posts.
Google span tables and select the appropriate condition (clear span roof) to get you in the ball park.  I know nothing about design for wind or seismic loads if those are factors.

Your municipality or county should be able to tell you what building code applies for your area.  Many have them on line, and if not they can be found at the library.  The applicable code will have the span tables listed.  Do a little reading and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't have the mad skillz to comment too much, other than I'm looking at doing something similar for my future patio.  Perusing the county website for permit requirements it appears that I would need a permit if I attach the cover to the house, and don't need a permit if the cover does not attach to the house.  So while this project is in the planning stage I considering just using four posts on sonotubes to support the roof, keeping it in that sweet spot between touching the siding and remaining under the roof overhang.  Not sure if I want to do that though, since it will probably be more expense in lumber to save the expense of permitting, and might not look so great.

My plan is still in the one-year handwringing stage...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top