Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2017 7:10:38 AM EDT
The Northern Virginia/Washington DC area Woodcraft is currently hosting a 2x4 challenge.  Sign up started on 15 August with competitors picking up their 2x4s on 19 Aug.  The entry fee was $25, with all proceeds going to the Fisher House.  

For those of you not familiar with a 2x4 challenge, you are essentially allowed to make anything you want/can, but you are limited to the 2x4 for material, you can use screws, hinges, etc, but it cannot be for appearance reasons.

These are the rules that Woodcraft put out for the challenge:

Picking up the 2x4 with some of the competitors on 19 Aug

Now, I'm not a proficent woodworker by any means, and an amateur at best, but I always enjoy a challenge.  I've decided I'm going to combine woodworking with CNC to make a chess set for entry.

Went to Lowe's an bought a 1-1/2"x1-1/2" piece of poplar to test some chess pieces on, went okay... Not 100% satisfied with the finish as is, but gave me enough insight as towhether or not my CAMing of the parts would suffice.  

Turning some square stock into a dowel:

Testing a pawn

Finished test pawn

Testing a knight

Testing a bishop

Finished knight and bishop

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the progress thus far, getting more tear out than I'd like, but that's to be expected with a wood as soft as poplar, I've currently got some of the test poplar sitting in a vacuum chamber to stabilize the wood, which I hope will produce a better finish.

I'll post updates as time goes on.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you build your kid's Pinewood Derby car ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking good so far!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Very cool! Any examples of past winning works? I feel like a chess set is gonna be hard to beat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No kids, sorry for using the tools that I have at my disposal.  Feel free to collect your participation trophy though.  

Quoted:
Looking good so far!!
Thank you very much, it's a learning process, that's for sure!

Quoted:
Very cool! Any examples of past winning works? I feel like a chess set is gonna be hard to beat.
This is our local Woodcrafts first ever, so unfortunately no examples.  Though others have done some amazing things with just 2x4s in other challenges.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool.  Please keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#6]
All marked and ready to be cut

Measuring moisture content in the blanks

Blanks in the oven to reduce mositure

Post oven moisture reading, ready for vacuum chamber to stabilize

In the vacuum chamber

Stabilized bishop lank ready for turning

Turning the bishop

So far, so good

We've got ears!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
That's awesome!

What does the vacume chamber do?

Did you apply some sandpaper while they were on the lathe? They look a little "fuzzy".
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's awesome!

What does the vacume chamber do?

Did you apply some sandpaper while they were on the lathe? They look a little "fuzzy".
View Quote
Thank you very much!  

As for vacuum chamber, and take this with a grain of salt, as this was my first week ever using one, essentially vacuums the air out of the "blanks" and while sitting in a resin, in this case Cactus Juice, draws the resin into the blank, so when you bake it afterwards, it cures it into a stabilized blank suitable for turning.  Previous to using the resin and stabilizing, I was getting a lot of tear out, which I guess is to be expected with poplar.

As for sanding, yes, they were sanded with strips of 400 grit, they feel quite smooth to the touch, not sure if the fuzziness is from the appearance of the resin, or maybe they need to be sanded to a finer grit? Honestly not sure.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Impressive!

How are you cutting the outline of the knights?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Tormach RapidTurn attached to my mill, allows me to do turning or milling at any given time on it.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Tormach RapidTurn attached to my mill, allows me to do turning or milling at any given time on it.  
View Quote
Nice setup.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice tool setup and good work on making the chess pieces.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Making the Rook

Making the Queen

Making the King

Approximately 90% done

First/seal layer of epoxy resin

First flood layer of epoxy resin

Finished
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#15]
So only 3 total people submitted completed projects, me being one

Contestant 1

Contestant 2

Contestant 3

Trophies

Winner ended up being the table, contestant 3; second place being the chess set, contestant 1; and customer's choice being the Back to the Future diorama, contestant 2
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The table is nice, but in my non-expert and biased opinion you crushed this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The table is nice, but in my non-expert and biased opinion you crushed this.
View Quote
Chess set is bad ass, but I have a gut feeling they were judging on traditional woodworking techniques/projects.  

OP, since you're first loser, I'll take that project of embarrassment off your hands.

Of course I'd have to learn to play chess all over again. . It was the 9th grade since I played last. About 36 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow dude, the table is nice but you got robbed. As I'm looking at the pictures all I could think was, "this is no contest".

That's a fantastic finished product man. Great work.

They should contract you to MAKE the trophies next year, too. I mean, it's a woodworking contest, and they e just got some burnt wood blocks. Come on man!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top