BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jacobsk:
Tonight I decided to find out why my log splitter puked it’s guts.

It’s been about 10 years since I drained the hydraulic fluid and the filter finally burst after the first good freeze this fall.

Milkshake!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/85FE962D-0195-4120-A4B3-7A1CDBFB11D3_jpeg-754622.JPG

Welp, that’s the problem!
View Quote
Darn you gave me another job to do.  My log spliter is going on 10 yrs old.  Time to change fluid and filter.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Started last week as a screened in deck. It has now turned into a full on sun room

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Log splitter is back up and running!

Hauled in the last bit of maple flooring we’ll need for the house today:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Patched a few more spots of flooring today. The existing maple is from ~1920 and will be sanded once I finish patching and tying in all of the new areas.

Since our house got all new hvac ducting we have holes which need registers. The kids have been calling this one in the dining room “the hole of no return” as toys which go in never come out

Since the hvac guys placed the duct flush with the surface of the hardwood I have to drop them to subfloor height.

Attachment Attached File

I trace the wooden register and remove the old flooring with the handiest tool on the planet.

Attachment Attached File

I’m cheap, these registers are like $25ea and I needed 12 of them so I’ve bought all I can from amazon warehouse. Only 2-3 were actually maple, the rest oak, and even some are prefinished like this one. Once sanded and finished I find they match well enough. (I’ve paid about ~$5 on average for each register this way)

Test fit the frame

Attachment Attached File

Since I’m cutting these in to an old floor I shim the frame to the proper height and lay a ring of construction adhesive before nailing in place. There’s no tongue and groove jointery when they’re installed after the fact like this and I don’t want any movement.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#5]
Patched a few more spots of flooring today. The existing maple is from ~1920 and will be sanded once I finish patching and tying in all of the new areas.

Since our house got all new hvac ducting we have holes which need registers. The kids have been calling this one in the dining room “the hole of no return” as toys which go in never come out

Since the hvac guys placed the duct flush with the surface of the hardwood I have to drop them to subfloor height.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/310ED170-D372-4E12-9B88-01899CCED449_jpeg-759261.JPG

I trace the wooden register and remove the old flooring with the handiest tool on the planet.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/845F03FF-7B34-45C7-99FE-82E1FAF66B79_jpeg-759262.JPG

I’m cheap, these registers are like $25ea and I needed 12 of them so I’ve bought all I can from amazon warehouse. Only 2-3 were actually maple, the rest oak, and even some are prefinished like this one. Once sanded and finished I find they match well enough. (I’ve paid about ~$5 on average for each register this way)

Test fit the frame

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/753A20DB-6203-4696-9520-5F198CA3C656_jpeg-759264.JPG

Since I’m cutting these in to an old floor I shim the frame to the proper height and lay a ring of construction adhesive before nailing in place. There’s no tongue and groove jointery when they’re installed after the fact like this and I don’t want any movement.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/D88D2574-0F22-4014-8412-5702492DC67E_jpeg-759265.JPG
View Quote
That’s pretty neat

I’m making sure the wife likes the tile before I rip into the kids’ bathroom linoleum

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tacticalcows] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, but that is just super freaking cool!

Another vent installed. It’s tough to capture the same spacing as 90 year old worn flooring so I’m forced to leave gaps in the new material. It is what it is, and once finished it blends in well enough for my taste.

Attachment Attached File

I’ve also found a good solution to my hydraulic fluid problem with the log splitter. After much agony (bursting two more filters) I found a Wix brand oil filter which is working great. Fortunately it let me purge all the remaining water out of the system with each of the three new hydraulic fluid fills.

Since my log splitter is powered by a Hewlett-Packard HP-40 hydraulic pack origionally designed to run a hydraulic saw I can’t find parts for it. I can’t find hydraulic filters, and it predates the internet so there’s no .pdf to reference for a filter to search for.

Years ago I went to an auto parts store and found a comparable sized oil filter which spins on and works until they burst. Unfortunately the oil filter media is too fine and it froths the hydraulic oil as it passes leading to more resistance and a higher likelihood of bursting in cold weather.

I cross referenced one of the burst filters and found a Wix brand oil filter which fits.

Wix filters have a mechanical bypass which opens and closes a valve if the filter is overcome by pressure, a very robust design. It’s installed, working well with the hydraulic fluid, not frothing as bad, and of course I don’t expect it to burst because of the bypass.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tacticalcows] [#8]

Sorry, but that is just super freaking cool!

Another vent installed. It’s tough to capture the same spacing as 90 year old worn flooring so I’m forced to leave gaps in the new material. It is what it is, and once finished it blends in well enough for my taste.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/15909DD3-CA1C-4451-91ED-D1A9572A1FD6_jpeg-762110.JPG

I’ve also found a good solution to my hydraulic fluid problem with the log splitter. After much agony (bursting two more filters) I found a Wix brand oil filter which is working great. Fortunately it let me purge all the remaining water out of the system with each of the three new hydraulic fluid fills.

Since my log splitter is powered by a Hewlett-Packard HP-40 hydraulic pack origionally designed to run a hydraulic saw I can’t find parts for it. I can’t find hydraulic filters, and it predates the internet so there’s no .pdf to reference for a filter to search for.

Years ago I went to an auto parts store and found a comparable sized oil filter which spins on and works until they burst. Unfortunately the oil filter media is too fine and it froths the hydraulic oil as it passes leading to more resistance and a higher likelihood of bursting in cold weather.

I cross referenced one of the burst filters and found a Wix brand oil filter which fits.

Wix filters have a mechanical bypass which opens and closes a valve if the filter is overcome by pressure, a very robust design. It’s installed, working well with the hydraulic fluid, not frothing as bad, and of course I don’t expect it to burst because of the bypass.
View Quote
Thank you sir!
I thought I killed another thread.

That vent is awesome.

For your hyd issue look at the flow rate of the filter. I had to make a multiple filter setup to match the out of manufacture filters.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Tacticalcows:

Thank you sir!
I thought I killed another thread.

That vent is awesome.

For your hyd issue look at the flow rate of the filter. I had to make a multiple filter setup to match the out of manufacture filters.
View Quote
Good point, the power pack has a variable speed pump with 10, 20, & 40 liters per minute. I usually run at 40. Does anyone have a log splitter and know their pump capacity to compare?
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Good point, the power pack has a variable speed pump with 10, 20, & 40 liters per minute. I usually run at 40. Does anyone have a log splitter and know their pump capacity to compare?
View Quote
Do you know the pump type? Vane, piston, gear. The volume at psi can be calculated. I can pm my number and I’ll help the best I can.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
I have to admit I read "masterpiece" and saw the beautiful grain and agreed.
View Quote
Masterpiece would be good. I’m going to put in every effort to make it so.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Do you know the pump type? Vane, piston, gear. The volume at psi can be calculated. I can pm my number and I’ll help the best I can.
View Quote
I don’t know what type unfortunately, I’ll try to get some pictures if I can and maybe it’ll jump out at us thanks for the offer to help.

Today was prep day to lay the living room floor now that the maple has acclimated to the house.

There was a jump in the center of the room where a load bearing wall used to sit before I changed the layout. The floor joists have settled in the 145 years and the stone wall below hadn’t. Tonight I pulled the floor boards and removed some of the high points from the stone/mortar which was causing the problem.

Attachment Attached File

Put the same old floor boards back afterwards and we’re set for tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Nice. Glass doors and windows make me nervous.
View Quote
Why? I guess it helps I do these things for a living
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Making some progress. Lots of cutting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:39:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tacticalcows] [#18]
Originally Posted By TWO_LABS:

Why? I guess it helps I do these things for a living
View Quote
If it can break or kill me it most likely will at some point.  It’s my nature.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Making some progress. Lots of cutting.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/94CB53F8-6977-4972-B144-3FAFC4CFA482_jpeg-765157.JPG
View Quote
Holy cow! How big of an area are you replacing?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jacobsk] [#20]

Holy cow! How big of an area are you replacing?
View Quote
This is our living room, which never had hardwood before. The old parlor (before I changed the layout of the house) and the kitchen were the only rooms with maple put down. You can see the dark brown wax finish on the origional maple.

The living room is about 450sqft, about a quarter of the first floor of the house.

Since the origional floor was all short pieces I decided to match it (really glad we did). It’s sort of strange taking brand new 4-6’ lengths of flooring and cutting it up into 6-16” random pieces to nail down

Attachment Attached File

With each piece being so short it’s taking a lot longer than usual. I’m also consuming many more nails. I ended up calling it a day after laying 2500 staples and my arm is sore
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottsGT] [#21]
Lots of ambitious projects going on here.  Making me feel guilty now.  
All I’ve done lately......
Built a cart for my smoker.

Attachment Attached File

Cut a few of these out on the bandsaw

Attachment Attached File

Forgot about the carpet I put down on my wife’s side of the basement.

Attachment Attached File

Also did some rearranging things in the garage. My workbench was hidden behind my tool chest and turned into a horizontal shit collector.

Attachment Attached File

Cleaned the bench off somewhat, pulled it out into the middle of the work area and put the tool box up against the wall under the cabinets.  
I had to disconnect the drawer locks since I keep the lid closed.

Attachment Attached File

FWIW, plans are to replace the bottom of the tool chest with the new 22” deep and to turn this one into a smaller and portable bench and get rid of the big shit collector.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#22]

This is our living room, which never had hardwood before. The old parlor (before I changed the layout of the house) and the kitchen were the only rooms with maple put down. You can see the dark brown wax finish on the origional maple.

The living room is about 450sqft, about a quarter of the first floor of the house.

Since the origional floor was all short pieces I decided to match it (really glad we did). It’s sort of strange taking brand new 4-6’ lengths of flooring and cutting it up into 6-16” random pieces to nail down

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116241/A2FD4A09-C743-411E-8493-7922C3AFF80C_jpeg-765875.JPG

With each piece being so short it’s taking a lot longer than usual. I’m also consuming many more nails. I ended up calling it a day after laying 2500 staples and my arm is sore
View Quote
Looks great!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Lots of ambitious projects going on here.  Making me feel guilty now.  
All I’ve done lately......
Built a cart for my smoker.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/117E0EBB-DFD8-4FA4-B313-F93C85699422_jpeg-766104.JPG

Cut a few of these out on the bandsaw

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/C544B5EB-93BA-4FD5-957A-178106895C17_jpeg-766105.JPG

Forgot about the carpet I put down on my wife’s side of the basement.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/A451041C-79C1-4BD3-B65E-1CF294EBF249_jpeg-766109.JPG

Also did some rearranging things in the garage. My workbench was hidden behind my tool chest and turned into a horizontal shit collector.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/5C93F290-F45B-4FFC-911D-9E98D0B4502A_jpeg-766112.JPG

Cleaned the bench off somewhat, pulled it out into the middle of the work area and put the tool box up against the wall under the cabinets.  
I had to disconnect the drawer locks since I keep the lid closed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32016/892E3724-B4FE-495F-A883-37825B6FF0AD_jpeg-766117.JPG

FWIW, plans are to replace the bottom of the tool chest with the new 22” deep and to turn this one into a smaller and portable bench and get rid of the big shit collector.
View Quote
I have a couple of the horizontal shit collectors.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:10:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jacobsk] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:33:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

#florida

Looks beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Home network.

I’m out of my depth now lol

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks everyone!

Still had some time so I patched the hole in the dining room floor.

I don’t know why, but it seems common in old houses, that rather than carry a coal fired stove through the basement door they elected to cut a hole in the floor and hoist it in place from above

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Home network.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/2B859279-5885-42DB-BD07-B92AC18059CA_jpeg-767108.JPG
View Quote
Okay, I gotta ask. What is that called and where do I get one? I have 96 runs of cat6 dropped in the basement with a patch panel and nothing to mount it in
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Okay, I gotta ask. What is that called and where do I get one? I have 96 runs of cat6 dropped in the basement with a patch panel and nothing to mount it in
View All Quotes
Home network.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/2B859279-5885-42DB-BD07-B92AC18059CA_jpeg-767108.JPG
That’s a small network rack.

I can’t believe you had an actual trap door in the floor and filled it in
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:45:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By phurba:

That’s a small network rack.

I can’t believe you had an actual trap door in the floor and filled it in
View Quote
Okay next question, why are small network races so expensive?

And that was no trap door, it was a hole. The house did have two trap doors elsewhere though
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:55:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Drsalee] [#33]
I got my fire pump out and changed the oil, cleaned the carb and ran a tank of gas through it.

My daughter had some fun with it.

You guys have way more mad skills than I do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Does crashing a shell mill count as work?  

Attachment Attached File

Also, made this after the pucker relaxed a bit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I think it looks so nice that that hour and a half at Ace I 5-minute epoxied together and hung it on kinda looks like crap now.  Yeah, now...

FYI, this is what the original parts are supposed to look like.  I think i made it functionally the same.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:53:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#35]

And that was no trap door, it was a hole. The house did have two trap doors elsewhere though
View Quote
Kenuco 12u rack from amazon cost me under $70. I probably needed 6u lol

Drove two hours for a steal on 6x6 cedar @ 10’
Going to redo my porch beams

These are the times I miss my truck

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#36]
And test fitting my window

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/94689CD7-C2E3-403A-8D61-DB67ABCFD6FB_jpeg-767630.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/A3F53B72-7EE9-42F4-91EE-B6305899262F_jpeg-767632.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/94689CD7-C2E3-403A-8D61-DB67ABCFD6FB_jpeg-767630.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/184182/A3F53B72-7EE9-42F4-91EE-B6305899262F_jpeg-767632.JPG
Honda Pilot.....I’m going to admit a littl something here, but don’t tell anyone.  We have a 2013 Pilot.  We had it about 2 years before I realized the rear glass opened up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my solar air heater up and running.  As I type this, I have air coming into the house at 120 degrees.  The pipe at the window inside the house makes for a really nice hand warmer.  Hopefully this will help to cut down on my heating bill a bit.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MissileCop:
Got my solar air heater up and running.  As I type this, I have air coming into the house at 120 degrees.  The pipe at the window inside the house makes for a really nice hand warmer.  Hopefully this will help to cut down on my heating bill a bit.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/IMG_3688_JPG-768595.jpg
View Quote
Well that’s a neat idea. Have you thought about plumbing it into an air return duct and running the cenral fan?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By phurba:

Well that’s a neat idea. Have you thought about plumbing it into an air return duct and running the cenral fan?
View Quote
No central air in the house. I ran duct work from the window box across the bathroom and into the hallway in the center of the house.  The window box has a thermo switch and a 120mm fan in it.  When the air temperature hits 110 in the piping in the window box, it closes the switch and fires up the solar powered fan.  It's an experiment in progress, so it being pretty wasn't my first priority.

Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#41]

No central air in the house. I ran duct work from the window box across the bathroom and into the hallway in the center of the house.  The window box has a thermo switch and a 120mm fan in it.  When the air temperature hits 110 in the piping in the window box, it closes the switch and fires up the solar powered fan.  It's an experiment in progress, so it being pretty wasn't my first priority.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/IMG_3687_JPG-768663.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/IMG_3676_JPG-768664.jpg
View Quote
What did that cost you?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#42]

What did that cost you?
View Quote
All together, probably around $250-300.  The most expensive piece was the 4'x8' clear polycarbonate sheet, at just over $100.  Ductwork, elbows, clamps, solar panel, voltage regulator, 80 cfm 120mm fan, thermo switch, 1"x6"s, 4'x8' sheet of insulation for the bottom of the box, aluminum downspouts, caulking, stove paint, and a few other odds and ends round out the rest of the cost.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
That is really cool! What did you line the back of the box with?

I was gone on a business trip all week so tonight was all prep as I plan to sand the floors this weekend.

Nothing fancy, just moving my mess to other areas of the house

In doing so, I had to remove the plastic drop cloth from the wall in my office. Today was the first time I’ve been able to see the brick with drywall in this room kinda cool.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#44]
I worked on a U.S. Navy P-8A Poseidon, no pics though because of work rules/OPSEC.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
More details on how you made it, please.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
I got my fire pump out and changed the oil, cleaned the carb and ran a tank of gas through it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161250/C9C84F5F-92DA-423D-8F73-562E8CDC3058-767226.jpg

My daughter had some fun with it.

You guys have way more mad skills than I do.
View Quote
You have a rockclimbing wall on the side of your house.

That is AWESOME!
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tacticalcows] [#48]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Very busy day today. Last patching of the floor is done and then had to empty the contents of about 1000 sqft of house

Began to sand the floors using an edger to blend in the patches while my father and brother-in-law ran the orbital and drum sander.

The old sections have ~80 years of wax to remove which is a bear but the drum does a good job. The new material gets orbital only.

Attachment Attached File

It’s really nice to see the old & new maple matching so closely! I’m excited to get it all cleaned up tomorrow

Here’s the spot at the base of the stairs where I tied new & old

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#50]
^ that’s turning out great!

Attachment Attached File
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top