Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 6:09:47 AM EDT
Carpenter ants to be specific, and dry rotted old window frames. A little home improvement, installing 5 new Jeld Wen 36"x54" single hung new construction windows, paid $100.00 a piece for them at Menards(Labor Day sale and they were on clearance). I have to frame the openings first, ill start on that tomorrow, have to get lumber today.

Ill update with pics as i make progress, not as fast as i was before 2 back surgerys, now its work a little, drink a lot.

Getting ready to sell the house in the spring.

Edit; Any pest control experts here? What should i spray with to make sure those bastards stay gone? I hit them pretty good with Raid ant killer, and then dusted it with Ortho ant kill powder.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You probably don't want to hear this... but IMO your project just grew.

When I tacked a relatively small bathroom remodel to address known minor water damage from the previous owner... it grew into a replace wooden siding, studs, footer and the sill... Damn carpenter ants were in all of them. The goal was complete removal. Sure you can spray the bastards you see as they scurry into the holes in the wood, but then they just burrow a different direction. You need to eliminate their habitat, by removing all sections they are in.

I killed them on contact, puffed a powder poison into areas I wasn't sure about and couldn't reach, then caked the powder on all new surfaces as I rebuilt. I then, killed them with fire by burning all removed pieces in the backyard.

Then you need to address their food source, aphids. Spray for those bastards, and the ants have less food.

Just my DIY opinion. Maybe a pro will have better advice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
not a pest control expert, but I battled the same thing in my house.  What I  can tell you from my experience is that there are a ton of resources out on the web that you can use.  I purchased some stuff from www.doityourownpestcontrol.com.  They have some information on the site as well.  Carpenter ants

One of the big problems with Carpenter ants is once they started building a nest inside your wall, they expand laterally.  When you disturb the nest, the workers will grab the eggs and attempt to move them.  You need to attack them in a pincers like movement, drilling into the wall cavities on both the left and right side of where you think the nest is, and "puffing" in a bunch of poison dust.  This way when you hit the main nest, they will run right into your prepositioned poison.  Oh, ya, and you want to put something down that will last for a while like a boric acid based treatment, Lowes and Home Depot have carpenter ant specific powder that works really well.  The reason is, the carpenter ant eggs won't be affected by the poison, and if you don't have poison there to kill them as they hatch, you'll have another colony pop right back up.

One of the resources I read said that by the time you see your first carpenter ant inside the home, the colony has already reached several 1000.  I committed giggling genocide on those filthy house destroying bastards, but the war isn't over!  It's never over!  There were coming out of the God Damned walls!  Sorry, I have flashbacks sometimes...But anyways, I continue to do outdoor barrier treatments using a sprayer and a concentrate poison.  I spray 2feet off the walls and 1 foot up the walls, all around the perimeter of the house.  I then spray around all windows and doors, any penetrations like exhaust fans, electrical service entrance, and vents.  I also spray a line up any corners, like where the chimney meets the wall, because I read that ants like to walk up corners.  And I finished with a line of poison just below the flashing where my siding meets the brick.  The goal is to make sure that any path into your home gives those bastards a dose of poison.  Oh, another thing I remember, carpenter ants can actually jump/fall from over hanging trees onto your roof and get into your home.  I don't have anything like that at my house, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as they can't get out to lead others into the home with out poisoning themselves, I'm not concerned.

Man, just remembered something else as well, it's not a bad thing to let them poisoned ants leave because they are cannibalistic and will recycle the dead into food for the colony.  Once one of them brings the poison into the colony and dies, they will be fed to others and the colony will be hit hard.  You can't kill all the carpenter ants in your area, but my goal is to make my home very unattractive to the little bastards...and if my neighbor's house looks like a better place to set up, well, they should be outside doing barrier treatments as well
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem but from an old deck that was built out of non-treated wood. I made my own home brew bug repellent and it got rid of everything, I mean no bugs whatsoever. It's a mixture of lemon dish soap and the juice from a bag of chewing tobacco (boil the tobacco, keep the juice throw away the leaves). Mix this juice and some of the lemon soap in a garden sprayer and spray it all over the house and grounds around the house. I did this once and had no bugs of any kind for more than a year anywhere near my house and it cost next to nothing. The nicotine in the tobacco is a contact poison and the lemon dish soap softens the exoskeleton of the bugs. Why lemon, don't know. I do know it worked and worked very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top