Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 10:07:19 PM EDT
Please excuse the rudimentary drawing, best I could do at this hour The Star is where I have it now and it's filling up the resivoir quickly. I would like to if possible move it near the sump so I can drain it straight into it, my question is, will it remove the moisture from the other rooms in the basement? I've never had a dehumidifer and was walking the isles at Lowes today killing time, regardless I came home with their biggest one a Fridgidare 70 pint model.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 12:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You want it basicly were you have it, but keep the doors open to allow air flow in each of the rooms. If your dehumidfier has a hose spikit at the bottom of the resivour find a cheep hose and snake it under the stairs and back into the mechanical room to the floor drain.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go ahead and move it.
I'd also put a fan in the TV room and a fan in that storage room to move air towards the hallway. Put them on timers and let them run until your hygrometer has the humidity in a good range. Don't have a fan pointing directly at the dehumidifier. As long as you keep things open and have some air movement, you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have central heat/air with supplies and returns in the basement I would set your thermostat fan to on or intermittent.  Let it circulate the air through the entire house and let the dehumidifier pull out the moisture at the unit.

Grove
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Where you have it now is probably most efficient.   If you really needed to get the hose out of the way, I'd move it to the center of the 50' wall that the sump is on and run the drain line along the edge of the wall.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll go a different route from the above posters and tell you to move it for easy drainage. A long run of hose will eventually get plugged with spider webs, bacterial growth, mineral deposits, etc. and you will not like the result. Have the unit close to the sump to minimize risks and to provide easy drainage in the event of a backup and use the furnace fan or other fans to circulate air. Most dehumidifier fans are not all that powerful and rely on natural/fan driven airflow to circulate air anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top