Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/21/2010 1:56:19 PM EDT
I'm 90% done with a ceramic tile counter top job (I'll post pics later if anyone is interested) and my gf came home with a tub of premixed grout.

I know premixed thinset is a big no-no, what about grout?

Is my gf driving back to the hardware store tonight?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:15:23 PM EDT
Personally, I would use epoxy grout. More expensive, but less staining/discoloring. I fell in love with it doing one of my bathrooms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:32:06 PM EDT
alright i sent her back for the bagged stuff so it's a moot point now - but just for my knowledge - if anyone has any experience with the premixed stuff let me know.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:08:46 PM EDT
I have used premix for little jobs like grouting a tile after taking out a towel bar in a shower. No way I would use it where it would be exposed to wear on a regular basis. I too would use epoxy on a counter top. It will be easier to keep looking good over a long period. Use an old tooth brush and some cheap peroxide tooth paste to deep clean whatever grout you go with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:06:25 PM EDT
Mortar and grout are supposed to harden like concrete. Concrete is mixed with water and will harden anywhere...in a bucket...underwater...it doesn't matter. If the premixed stuff doesn't harden in a bucket it will never "harden" in the joint of a tile.

Good call on getting the real grout.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:17:46 PM EDT
stay away from premixed anything, especially if you are using it in area that deals w/ water/moisture.. be sure to seal the grout (and tile, depending on what kind) after 24 hrs set time..
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:08:14 AM EDT
How much does the sealant really help?
I've used it on all of my tile jobs (one complete bath, including shower, entryway and two bath floors/walls) and I still deal with mold/mildew getting a strong foothold in the grout seams in the shower.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 4:07:21 PM EDT by fishorwife]
if you want to know anything about tile and how to install visit this web site. I did a bathroom remodel and all the info came from here on the tiling part. http://www.johnbridge.com
This is the AR15 of tiling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:15:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kharn:
How much does the sealant really help?
I've used it on all of my tile jobs (one complete bath, including shower, entryway and two bath floors/walls) and I still deal with mold/mildew getting a strong foothold in the grout seams in the shower.

Kharn

If you wait the 48 hours and use a good quality penetrating sealer you shouldn't have this problem. You do have to re-seal periodically. Most sealers indicate on them how often this is.
Top Top