Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2010 1:56:19 PM EDT
I'm 90% done with a ceramic tile counter top job (I'll post pics later if anyone is interested) and my gf came home with a tub of premixed grout.

I know premixed thinset is a big no-no, what about grout?

Is my gf driving back to the hardware store tonight?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I would use epoxy grout.  More expensive, but less staining/discoloring.  I fell in love with it doing one of my bathrooms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
alright i sent her back for the bagged stuff so it's a moot point now - but just for my knowledge - if anyone has any experience with the premixed stuff let me know.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used premix for little jobs like grouting a tile after taking out a towel bar in a shower. No way I would use it where it would be exposed to wear on a regular basis. I too would use epoxy on a counter top. It will be easier to keep looking good over a long period. Use an old tooth brush and some cheap peroxide tooth paste to deep clean whatever grout you go with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Mortar and grout are supposed to harden like concrete.  Concrete is mixed with water and will harden anywhere...in a bucket...underwater...it doesn't matter.  If the premixed stuff doesn't harden in a bucket it will never "harden" in the joint of a tile.

Good call on getting the real grout.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
stay away from premixed anything, especially if you are using it in area that deals w/  water/moisture..   be sure to seal the grout (and tile, depending on what kind) after 24 hrs set time..  
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
How much does the sealant really help?
I've used it on all of my tile jobs (one complete bath, including shower, entryway and two bath floors/walls) and I still deal with mold/mildew getting a strong foothold in the grout seams in the shower.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
if you want to know anything about tile and how to install visit this web site. I did a bathroom remodel and all the info came from here on the tiling part. http://www.johnbridge.com
This is the AR15 of tiling.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How much does the sealant really help?

I've used it on all of my tile jobs (one complete bath, including shower, entryway and two bath floors/walls) and I still deal with mold/mildew getting a strong foothold in the grout seams in the shower.

Kharn

If you wait the 48 hours and use a good quality penetrating sealer you shouldn't have this problem. You do have to re-seal periodically. Most sealers indicate on them how often this is.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top