Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/22/2006 1:51:02 PM EDT
I didn't see any other topics about this and being a bit of a tree-hugger, I find this to be a little much. I personally like the Ocala National Forest, that big red splotch with a tiny bit of green in the middle of Florida, and I would hate to see some private business buy it. I couldn't say who would, but almost every bit of land in North Central Florida has been bought up by developers in the past three years to feed the never ending hunger of rich Northern types moving here. (If I remember correctly, New York and New Jersey residents were the fastest incoming.) I'm pretty sure the forests would go that way, too. If that goes, I don't think there will be a rifle range within a good drive of my area. You can't shoot in any of our rural areas anymore because of new developments. However, the sale affects almost every state, and some A LOT more than mine.

So, is this a serious issue? Or am I just a crazy hippy?

Linked for your pleasure. I thought CNN was acceptable, but if anyone has any better ones please share. I threw in the map for good measure. Oh and I don't know how to make 'em hot.

http://www.savebiogems.org/images/lands/map.gif
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/03/16/land.sale.ap/index.html
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:53:14 PM EDT
It's all about the $$$
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:59:09 PM EDT
God ain't makin' no more land. South Florida is digging up rotten corpses from cementarys and dredging beautiful lakes to make condos, SoFla will be one concrete jungle. I am moving north for that reason.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 2:19:15 PM EDT by James_Gang]
This is typical hard right Republican politics.

They've been trying to do this for years.

Many business interests in this country, many with headquarters offshore, as well as foreign entities would like nothing more than to exploit this land for their own benefit only. Hell with America or our national treasures. Money and corruption rules.

Can you imagine the Saudi's buying Yellowstone? How about the UAE buying Yosemite?

Send the proceeds to Lockheed Martin or the Pentagon instead. Don't hold your breath for a tax cut. Star wars is expensive.

Our addiction to foreign oil and our governments incompetence and lack of priorities has a price.

But in my view the price isn't letting them stick it up our rear ends further.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:19:37 PM EDT
It really is all about the money. I don't think we'll have too many rural schools in the future, though. There won't be much "rural" left.

Cobra, I hope you're not planning on moving up here. Gainesville and everything around it has been bought up by developers. We've got three hospitals, a money-hungry college, and almost no local economy. Unless you've got big money, you're relegated to the ghetto, or to a trailor now. Although, I imagine SoFl is a lot worse.

East of here, there is a place called Jonesville. There used to be a bar called Rosey's there. Before the Rosewood "incident" those white men met at Rosey's. Now, its gone, and what do we have in its place?

A Kangaroo gas station and a subdivision full of completely idential pressed board houses.

But come on James_Gang, the UAE was going to protect our ports, right? Why don't we give them some of our national treasures, too? They're our friends! How could our benevolent Commander be wrong?hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:30:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Coiffio:
It really is all about the money. I don't think we'll have too many rural schools in the future, though. There won't be much "rural" left.

Cobra, I hope you're not planning on moving up here. Gainesville and everything around it has been bought up by developers. We've got three hospitals, a money-hungry college, and almost no local economy. Unless you've got big money, you're relegated to the ghetto, or to a trailor now. Although, I imagine SoFl is a lot worse.

East of here, there is a place called Jonesville. There used to be a bar called Rosey's there. Before the Rosewood "incident" those white men met at Rosey's. Now, its gone, and what do we have in its place?

A Kangaroo gas station and a subdivision full of completely idential pressed board houses.

But come on James_Gang, the UAE was going to protect our ports, right? Why don't we give them some of our national treasures, too? They're our friends! How could our benevolent Commander be wrong?

I was impacted by Wilma and lost my position, I am now living in a condo which I would not be able to afford to buy now and not even afford to pay the taxes. I am in a prime location wghich I can smell greedy bastards who would like to make more tax revenue eg. the 90 acre lake in front of my condo will be dredged in about 5 years to make more housing. I am begged by neighbors who have relatives coming from down south overseas if I am selling both of my condos. I will take the money and run and I will buy a house with space away from convicted felon neighbors and illegal aliens. I went for an interview in Gainesville and just waiting for my release date.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 4:48:01 PM EDT by USMC_LB]
What irks my ass is that we have already donated some of these to the U.N.

thats what the "international biosphere reserve" thing at the bottom of the sign means...

Here some more info: United Nation Reserves in the USA

FUCK THE U.N.

LB

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 4:59:20 PM EDT by James_Gang]

But come on James_Gang, the UAE was going to protect our ports, right? Why don't we give them some of our national treasures, too? They're our friends! How could our benevolent Commander be wrong?

Hey man, the Saudi's own 7% of America.

Saudi Prince Al-Walid bin Talal owns a 5.46% interest in News Corp., parent of Fox News.

And the Bush family. Bought and paid for.

Anymore questions as to why the Bush administration is over there fighting their wars for them?

Oh pardon me, not the Bush administration, our service men and women.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:58:27 PM EDT
The Administration blaming the U.N. for our problems, is sort of like a drunk blaming the car when he has an accident.

It aint perfect, but hell they knew that when they were downing those shots of vodka didn't they?

Guess not.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:45:12 PM EDT
I'm sorry to hear that, Cobra-AK. I have an uncle in Miami who, unfortunately, didn't lose his expensive Coconut Grove canal property. He helps bring in foreign money to buy American assets, and is so hard right, Bush could shit on his face and he'd be the happiest man alive. A true patriot. here,

Originally Posted By USMC_LB:
FUCK THE U.N.

What do they need the everglades for?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:48:21 PM EDT
Oh, James_Gang, I know. Bush has been in bed with the Saudi's from the beginning. I know the Saudis didn't want to fight that war. Why have infidels fight it for them? I'm pretty sure they own a lot of banks, too. Is that why Fox News is such a quality news network?

I turned 18 in 2003, and as much as I wanted to join the Corps (and as chicken shit as it might sound), I just couldn't do it. Not for that war. I feel bad for all those troops over there, and I wish every one of them the best of luck. Its not their war, but they sure are fighting it.

Originally Posted By James_Gang:
The Administration blaming the U.N. for our problems, is sort of like a drunk blaming the car when he has an accident.

Well, its not like we're a part of the UN or something...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 6:53:03 PM EDT by James_Gang]
Yeah Coffio I joined in 1979, got out in 1984.

Honestly, if I had to do it today I'd go to college instead, and just buy an AR and some land.

Freedom and liberty are too important for me to be over on some other azholes piece of real estate fighting for 'em. I'd rather protect my own.

But then some people got the warrior spirit. At least until it catches up with 'em.

Watch born on the 4th of July. There's a big difference between the reality of war and the hype that politicians like to promote.

That being said sometimes you got to fight. In my opinion this aint one of those cases. And I'll be damn if I'm going to Iraq to save the administration. The Iraqi's can have 'em.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:51:32 PM EDT
I remember being disappointed the last time I went down to the St Petersburg area that almost all of the beaches were private property.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:44:21 AM EDT
In the 2004, Flagler county grew 10.6%. I can only imagine what happened in 2005. Its just not lucrative to have public beaches, I guess. St. Augustine's beaches all seem like hotel property now, too. The only places left here are the small fishing villages with maybe 1000 feet of beach. But, at least it won't be my property when the "worst hurricane season ever" hits.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:49:43 AM EDT

In the 2004, Flagler county grew 10.6%. I can only imagine what happened in 2005. Its just not lucrative to have public beaches, I guess. St. Augustine's beaches all seem like hotel property now, too. The only places left here are the small fishing villages with maybe 1000 feet of beach. But, at least it won't be my property when the "worst hurricane season ever" hits.

Hurricanes are stressful, you could be $500,000 up one minute and then penniless in an instant, but there are a lot of factors that made me decide to move.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:05:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cobra-ak:
Hurricanes are stressful, you could be $500,000 up one minute and then penniless in an instant, but there are a lot of factors that made me decide to move.

I take it for granted that I live in the middle of the state. I didn't mean to direct that at you, more at all the people who want to come here and buy all of the beach front property, like what IndianaDean was talking about. I forget which ones it was, but the ones maybe before Wilma rocked G'ville for several days and left us without power for a combined total of about three and a half weeks from two hurricanes. But, we lived on the SW side of town. The NW, where the mall and all the rich folks live, they lost power for 8 hours and oh man it was a big deal. The utilities company sure did pat itself on the back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:48:57 PM EDT

I take it for granted that I live in the middle of the state. I didn't mean to direct that at you, more at all the people who want to come here and buy all of the beach front property, like what IndianaDean was talking about. I forget which ones it was, but the ones maybe before Wilma rocked G'ville for several days and left us without power for a combined total of about three and a half weeks from two hurricanes. But, we lived on the SW side of town. The NW, where the mall and all the rich folks live, they lost power for 8 hours and oh man it was a big deal. The utilities company sure did pat itself on the back.

No problem as son as I move up there we will get together for a day of shooting and maybe a late lunch after.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:57:34 AM EDT

No problem as son as I move up there we will get together for a day of shooting and maybe a late lunch after.hr

Sounds good, Cobra. I look forward to it.
Top Top