Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 6:45:03 AM EDT
If individual states couldn't have any say?
If CCW was a federal license?
If interstae purchases would be no problem?

I'm curious what the downside would be aside from the possibility of making the laws balanced by taking some away from the gun-friendly states and giving a little back to the non-gun-friendly states.

There's already federal licensing with NFA/Class III items.

My biggest gripe is not being able to go to a show or store in another state to buy a gun. It's ok to transfer it to your resident state, which means it's not that big a deal but simply the states way of getting every little bit they can. Well, kind of like car buying. You can buy in another state but once you register in your state they get their piece in taxes or whatever. For that matter... vehicle/driver licensing being a national thing would be nice as well...

Just gets annoying to see some states totally screwing their citizens and others not, but the right to bear arms is a national right and shouldn't be taken away by the states.

Maybe I'm just rambling here...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:05:14 PM EDT
I think any form of centralizing power is a bad idea.
Sure it would be nice to automatically have CCW reciprocity everywhere, but states like California, New York, New Jersey, and others would have equal or greater say than Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida, which means they would want it to be harder to obtain a license.

Overall, I really think that if the Federal Government did that, it would turn out bad for us and not good.

I may just rambling also, but I think that the regulations they already have on class III, etc. is unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:15:15 PM EDT
What a silly concept. As was already stated, rules regarding machineguns are unconstitutional. Yet it seems that most "conservatives" think this is a good infringement. Or at least they seem to know all the little rules involved in complying.

Quite frankly, I'd like to think that there are vast numbers of people who carry without having permission from Big Brother in the fitst place, who have zero intentions of commiting a crime.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:49:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BoogerSnax:
Quite frankly, I'd like to think that there are vast numbers of people who carry without having permission from Big Brother in the fitst place, who have zero intentions of commiting a crime.

At the risk of losing their right to own a firearms altogether? Not me man. As much as I'd like to carry, I'm not taking that chance.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:57:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

At the risk of losing their right to own a firearms altogether? Not me man. As much as I'd like to carry, I'm not taking that chance.

Isn't that interesting? It's a "god given" right, and yet it can be taken away if you don't have a permission slip from Big Brother.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:14:14 PM EDT
Big Brother Sucks!

(sorry had to do it)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:49:22 AM EDT
I remember saying in a thread not too long ago about CCW recriprocity, but that means (at least for IL) that they would have to approve CCW first before it going national
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:25:27 PM EDT
No.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:49:47 PM EDT

Isn't that interesting? It's a "god given" right, and yet it can be taken away if you don't have a permission slip from Big Brother.

God given? That doesn't hold a lot of water in the current anti-Christianity society we live in. If God wanted me to carry a gun all the time Adam wouldn't have been naked in the garden of Eden... he'd have had a leg-drop holster and tactical web belt with a 1911 strapped in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:52:54 PM EDT

God given? That doesn't hold a lot of water in the current anti-Christianity society we live in. If God wanted me to carry a gun all the time Adam wouldn't have been naked in the garden of Eden... he'd have had a leg-drop holster and tactical web belt with a 1911 strapped in.

You mean that isn't in everyone's bibles?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:21:05 AM EDT

I believe, in ancient times, a "fig leaf" WAS the slang term for a paddle holster.

But, in seriousness, the rush to have Big Brother's blessing is quite interesting to see in the gun crowd. Especially since the crowd is supposed to be comprised of rugged individualists and all. Why, I know two cops who have unregistered things. I know several old timers who have closets full of stuff that was bought when things were a little freer. And by golly, these people aren't out rampaging and murdering.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:37:18 AM EDT

Well he did give him one, although it was a single shot with a 10 minute reload time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:33:15 AM EDT

Individual states should have the ONLY SAY. They should be allowed to manage relationships with other states as they see fit as to interstate anything.

The federal .gov is supposed to print money and run the military. That is pretty much it. Everything else to the States.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:34:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By uscmba02:

Individual states should have the ONLY SAY. They should be allowed to manage relationships with other states as they see fit as to interstate anything.

The federal .gov is supposed to print money and run the military. That is pretty much it. Everything else to the States.

Would the people of the south be happy with california being a gay marriage, no gun, abortions for all state.
And would the people of California be happy with the south being a totally unrestricted gun friendly zone, with no gays and no abortions?

The left AND the right seem to be just fine with big intrusive gov't nowadays, as long as it's used to control those other people.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:47:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/2/2006 6:54:27 AM EDT by uscmba02]

Would the people of the south be happy with california being a gay marriage, no gun, abortions for all state.
And would the people of California be happy with the south being a totally unrestricted gun friendly zone, with no gays and no abortions?

The left AND the right seem to be just fine with big intrusive gov't nowadays, as long as it's used to control those other people.

You are correct in your assesment of the general population. I personally don't give two shits what happens in CA (outside of I don't want that state to be a model for my state). However, I realize that in this day an age nobody (at least no politician) is happy unless their will is imposed on everyone else.

The way it is supposed to be- You don't like what is going down in your state, you either work to change it or you pack up your shit and move. Different strokes for different folks.

ETA: I think you and I are in agreement...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By uscmba02:

You are correct in your assesment of the general population. I personally don't give two shits what happens in CA (outside of I don't want that state to be a model for my state). However, I realize that in this day an age nobody (at least no politician) is happy unless their will is imposed on everyone else.

The way it is supposed to be- You don't like what is going down in your state, you either work to change it or you pack up your shit and move. Different strokes for different folks.

ETA: I think you and I are in agreement...

Total agreement I believe.
And in the spirit of this thread, I believe in total gun rights. There is no them that we are supposed to "keep away from guns". Them seem to get the guns anyway, and in the mix, Reagan made it near impossible to jump through the unconstitutional hoops that were already in place before his mistake.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
Although I do not think that the federal government should be involved, I do believe the full faith and credit clause should allow for nationwide reciprocity with ANY CCW permit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:03:45 AM EDT
uuuuhhhhhh, picture the Clintons in office and then ask me that question again. I am damn glad its the states. I live in UT and should be OK for alot longer, not like you Californians.
Top Top