Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:11:44 PM EDT
I have to say that I was surprised by the huge electoral victory that Hamas scored in the recent Palestinian elections. I think the Palestinian people were driven by two factors (1) the corruption of Fatah and (2) the pledge to drive the Jews into the sea. It is difficult to see this as anything good, at least in the short term.

But I wonder, now that Hamas is really confronted with the reality of having to govern; the nature of government, particularly in a democracy is compromise. Hamas, as a terrorist group and outsiders, have had the luxury of making outrageous demands. Now they have to work in reality and the reality is that Israel is not going away.

If Hamas cannot deliver they will then be subsequently turned out; not only because Israel will still be there, but because if Hamas tries to to continue its mission, the lives of the Palestinian people will decline and maybe they will finally begin to understand they must learn to live with Israel.

Or am I being too optimistic?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:41:31 PM EDT
Well the first and most obvious repercussion is that we can no longer legally maintain diplomatic relations with them I believe. Hamas has been declared a terrorist organization by the U.S., now that they hold power in Palestine, that officially makes Palestine a terrorist state, so we will not be able to maintain any form of diplomatic ties what so ever, and the Israelis are likely in the same boat.

That's how I understand the situation anyway, is there anyone more well versed in the laws governing foreign relations that can shed some light on this situation.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:37 PM EDT
More dead palistinians, more dead israelis in the immediate future. Chest-beating, sabre-rattling, suicide bombers...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:44:53 AM EDT
To Hamas: "Be careful of that which you ask for, as you just might get it."
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:35:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OrionSix:
Hamas political victory - what does this portend for the future?

Whatever it is, you can pretty much count on it being "not good"............
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:13:42 PM EDT
I've read that Hamas is willing to have a ten year truce (false peace) with Isreal in order to strengthen themselves for the final battle.
Top Top